• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

out of status, can I apply for DV2008

okili

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
maybe this will sound stupid to you all but still i am concerned.
Last year 2005 I was in US on work&travel program (j-1) and got my visa for 4+1 month (grace period).
I was very unhappy with my employer and after 2.5 months working for them I simply never showed up for work.
Prior to that, I was like regular guest in HR office asking what can I do to change my employer etc. And called my sponsor officer, asking can I quite my job .... got the same answer NO, or you have to go back to your homecountry at once.
Then one of my friends there (also j-1) got fired and the same person sponsor officer told him that he can look for another job etc. everything OK..
After that I was determined to just leave and go to my relatives in US, and try to find work for that period. So i did. Worked in supermarket without any problems. Stopped working after my expiration date on ds form. And then returned home (within month grace period).
No one told me in my agency that I could suffer some consequences, but only when I came home I found out that if I am out of status this will affect me in future.
Since I have a plan, for next year, to go to US again, on H2B visa or just B visa, I'll try even DV2008 lottery .... what can I expect in the embassy on the interview?
I know some checking is in order but ... am I going to be rejected?
Please answer me, I am really worried....
tnx in advance

Yes and no....it seems you were out of status,however,as long as your employer or sponsering agency don't inform USCIS abt you quit etc you will be fine.Quiting does not make you out of status for USCIS eventhough you are...you will be fine as long as you don't have to prove you were in status while at J1 Visa.

This is just my opnion!!!