Original offer letter or Printed PDF offer letter?

Mahdi1978

I understand that a Canadian citizen needs to show an offer letter from a US company at the port of entry to obtain his TN visa. I was just wondering, must the offer letter be the original hard-copy letter?
Is a printed PDF letter acceptable instead of the original hard-copy letter?
I have received the scanned PDF file of my offer letter by email, I was wondering if I can just print it and take it to the immigration officer?

Thanks!

I believe you must have an original letter. In fact, you don't bring your letter of offer to the border, you bring your TN letter. They're slightly different.

The TN letter must be original (I know someone personally who was declined because he brought a copy). Your company should express mail it to you.

Mahdi1978,
Last January I handled the POE officer just a printed email copy and had no problem. Honestly, the officer was so nice and made it easy and quick. I think it all depends on the officer and your file.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Since there has been history of some POE officers declining people who don't have the original, I would suggest bringing the original just in case. Best of luck