Official Name change during citizenship

ckugmk

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got my citizenship 3 weeks ago. I had changed my last name during the process. INS told me that within 2 weeks, I will receive an official name change certificate. I took the oath and become US citizenship. My passport is not valid anymore. I have to travel end of October. I called INS and not getting a correct answer. What should I do?. Any suggestion will be well appreciated. Thanks.

ckugmk said:
Hi,

I got my citizenship 3 weeks ago. I had changed my last name during the process. INS told me that within 2 weeks, I will receive an official name change certificate. I took the oath and become US citizenship. My passport is not valid anymore. I have to travel end of October. I called INS and not getting a correct answer. What should I do?. Any suggestion will be well appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I know ur name change petition is granted when u take ur oath. and u will be given certificate of naturalization in new name and ur name change court papers at the same time.
I assume u already been to oath ceremont since u stated u got ur citizenship 3 weeks ago.
did u recive ur naturalization certificate with new name at oath ceremony?
Usually name change N 400 applicants are sworn in federal court house where Judge grants u citizenship and name change at same time.

can u also plz post ur time between interview and oath ceremony, how long it took??? Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
shaky said:
As far as I know ur name change petition is granted when u take ur oath. and u will be given certificate of naturalization in new name and ur name change court papers at the same time.
I assume u already been to oath ceremont since u stated u got ur citizenship 3 weeks ago.
did u recive ur naturalization certificate with new name at oath ceremony?
Usually name change N 400 applicants are sworn in federal court house where Judge grants u citizenship and name change at same time.

Also, it takes a bit longer for the oath to be scheduled than applicants w/o name change. I have been waiting for over 3 months, been told my file is complete and just waiting for my number for aoth to be scheduled.

Could you let us know which DO you are under? And also the time between interview and oath.

Answer to your question, you would use your Naturalization certificate to apply for passport and not the name change certificate.

Thanks

PD is right.

The name on you passport is what counts. The name on your passport will be derived from your the name on you Natz Cert. As long as your Natz cert name is correct (new name) you are ok. If not, contact the INS or the district judge who will effect your name change.

You will need your name change certificate to propogate the name change on your drivers license, social security etc.

Last stage for name change

So can one change the name at the oath time? I would like to change the last name to take care of an error in spelling. But I do not want to do it as part of the N-400 application because I fear delays caused by that extra paperwork that the officer has to deal with .

If I can indeed do it at the oath stage, I am very much interested. Can one of you provide some details?

Thanks
Mahesh

maheshgajanan said:
So can one change the name at the oath time? I would like to change the last name to take care of an error in spelling. But I do not want to do it as part of the N-400 application because I fear delays caused by that extra paperwork that the officer has to deal with .

If I can indeed do it at the oath stage, I am very much interested. Can one of you provide some details?

Thanks
Mahesh
You will have to request one on your N400 or during your interview to be able to do at oath. However, I do NOT recommend this. You could do this later through court w/o involving USCIS.

maheshgajanan said:

Thanks
Mahesh

Mahesh,
If your GC name is misspelt then USCIS can automatically correct it in their system without going thru any legal paperwork or via courts. Take proof of your correct name (passport , Reentry , SS, Drv License etc ) to the USCIS office. My name was interchanged (first to last) and they did it for me.

You can do a name change thru the courts but it may slightly delay your oath. Remember if you do it on your own after Oath it will cost you and you will have to repropate the change to your Passport

Rahul Kumar said:
Mahesh,
If your GC name is misspelt then USCIS can automatically correct it in their system without going thru any legal paperwork or via courts. Take proof of your correct name (passport , Reentry , SS, Drv License etc ) to the USCIS office. My name was interchanged (first to last) and they did it for me.

You can do a name change thru the courts but it may slightly delay your oath. Remember if you do it on your own after Oath it will cost you and you will have to repropate the change to your Passport

I would say DO IT AFTER UR OATH. just get ur oath done and be happy u are done with uscis. and change it after ur oath it will cost u as rahul said maybe couple of hundred dollars maybe less i am not sure, but if u want to go to uscis's black hole just to save money then we cant stop you.

Thanks for the opinions

Thanks a lot for your opinions

My problem is the misspelling exists all the way in all my certificates from India. So really have nothing to prove it is a misspelling. As I said I be done and over with the oath (and USCIS) ASAP. So I will choose the "doing it later" option.

Mahesh