Offered a job after overstaying a student visa in the US

kaseyk

Throwaway because I don't want to get in trouble.

I overstayed my student visa because I was no longer able to afford college and didn't even have the money to go back home and support myself. I was able to work as an interpreter with the tax ID number I had for my internship. After almost 2 years, I was able to save enough money and left the country.

Now, I'm still an interpreter and a company in Boston wants to hire me because there is very high demand for the languages I work with. They are aware of my situation but they hired a lawyer that says he can get me an employment visa. I think he just wants to make some money.

I'm posting here because the owner of the company is a really good person and also, I don't want to get my hopes up.

Some considerations:

• I entered the States with a tourist visa and then changed it for an F-1
  • My parents and siblings are now US citizens. I couldn't change my status because I was over 21 years-old
  • I never got in trouble other than this. I always filed and paid my taxes
  • I left on my own will and AFAIK, I don't have a deportation order because I never moved when I was living in the US.
  • The lawyer says that because my I-94 records don't show on the DHS website, he "might be able to work things out". I think he's lying.
  • Even if I'm not banned, I will have to declare that I did overstayed my student visa, won't I?
I need some clarity on this. Is there a way I can re-enter the US legally? Is the lawyer lying? What do you think?

Thanks