Odd question regarding triple citizenship

Drquilter

Registered Users (C)
I am a citizen of two countries, Uruguay by birth, and Italy through my paternal grandfather and father. I have passports from both. I have been living in the US for 20 years, first as a H1B holder, and more recently as a Green Card holder. My GC expires in two years, and instead of renewing it I am considering becoming a US citizen. I would like to know how that would impact my other citizenships. Any clues?

Each country's law determines the conditions for gain or loss of that country's nationality. The U.S. does not require you to do anything with your existing nationalities as a prerequisite of naturalization, so you have to look at those countries' laws for any effects that U.S. naturalization has, in particular, whether there is loss of that nationality.

I believe that, currently, acquisition of another nationality does not automatically cause loss of Italian nationality, and there is nothing special you need to do. For Uruguay, a "natural citizen" (one who was a citizen by birth or descent) also does not lose Uruguayan nationality upon acquiring another one.

I am a triple citizen as well, born in Canada, became a citizen of New Zealand and now a US citizen (as is all my family). As mentioned previously check with your other countries rules but the US doesn't care. The only thing to note, is when filling out the N400, just put your country of birth in the appropriate box, not both citizenships as they will strike the other out. They only seem to want you to list one as we discovered in the process.