OCI:San Francisco: Surrender Certificate and US Passport Questions

Surrender certificate needed if your indian passport is already canceled?

hi all,
Thanks to all for the info. After getting USC, I went to India on a visitor visa. During the visitor visa acquiring process, my indian passport is stamped “Passport canceled as acquired US nationality”. Now i am ready to apply for OCI. Do I have to still have SC?
I don't have SC now, need to apply if they insist. I think SC is not needed if your indian passport is already canceled by them. Please let me know what you know.

Hi,

I wanted to apply for the surrender certificate for my son (14 years old) . He doesn't have a citizenship certificate. We ( both parents) have the citizenship certificate. In the surrender certificate application they have asked for the citizenship certificate. Can I apply for his surreneder certificate using my citizenship certificate as they said if parents are US citizens automatically kids are US citizens.

OCI and Different Rules at different Indian Consulates- WHY??

OCI and Different Rules at different Indian Consulates- WHY??

At SF Consulate it is REQUIRED that you have to submit US passport with your OCI Appl. – The consulate WILL KEEP your passport until the OCI is issued. Which means, we can not travel ANYWHERE outside of US for almost 60 days. What gives?? :mad:

This Quote from NY Consulate:
“Once your OCI documents are received in the Consulate, please send your US passport in original along with a copy of the online status showing that the documents have been received to enable the Consulate to complete the process.”

This Quote from Houston Consulate:
“OCI applicants are requested to kindly check the status of their application at the website. When the last column of the status page indicates “Documents Received at Houston on (date indicated), the applicants are requested to immediately send their original US passport(s) for stamping the “U” Visa and the Indian Passport(s) (where applicable), for verification, by mail.”