OCI query

vishwaskaroo

Registered Users (C)
Once we acquire US citizenship - I know that we should not use Indian Passport. I mailed my OCI application but still have my Indian passport with me. Is it required to cancel the passport? Will I not get OCI until my Indian passport is cancelled?

It is not required to cancel your Indian PP before applying for OCI. But make sure you send your Indian PP along with your US PP for stamping OCI sticker so that your Indian PP will be canceled and returned along with your stamped US PP.

That's what I did for my OCI at CGI,NY.

Filling up Part B.

Hi
I have a doubt when filling up the part-B of the OCI app. Question 16 asks if the country of applicants permit dual citizenship. For US, have you all marked Yes or no as US officially does not recognize dual citizenship.Question 19 asks for date of acquisition. If filing as a family, should we mention details for all applicants. If so, is there a specific format anyone has used.

For Question 16 I marked Yes.
For Question 19 I would write each applicants name and acquisition. Although I did only individual OCI application that is just my suggestion. I know the space is too limited but try your best to fit everything in the space available.