OCI application acknowlegement from Travisa

We have been having our worst ever experiencing going through this OCI application process with Travisa NYC. First of all this entire process was started sometime during March. Someone in Travisa said that we need to renounce our Indian passport to start the OCI application. So the renouncing process took month and a half.

Later in April, we submitted our OCI application for our family of 4. As reported in this forum, the packet was opened only after a month and they said they need additional photos. I submitted them and 3 weeks later they said the application is on hold because my son's PIO card is missing. I went directly to Travisa office in NYC and told them that PIO card was in the original packet and I'm 100% sure about that. They then made me wait for 3 hours and said it was a human mistake and the PIO card was indeed found in the application packet right in front. This happened 10 days agao and they said it could take another 2 months for the OCI cards and suggested me to take back my USA passport so that if I'm travelling in summer this would not cause any problems.

But what that actually means is that I need to buy one-time visas for all four of us (~ $350 ) to make our summer trip to India. I got back our USA passports just in case since we have already booked out India trip leaving USA next month July middle. Now we are keeping our fingers crossed to see if we would get our OCI in the next 3 weeks, if not I need to buy the one-time visas or maybe even cancel our India (which we are very eager to go after 3 years).

I'm glad there is a forum here to express our experiences and frustrations with Travisa. They have the technology in place but have not properly streamlined the process by staffing in various departments. A phone call query takes almost 2 hours of waiting and the rep would come online and say did you check the tracking passport link onlie? That's the only information the rep also give and nothing more and I have wasted atleast 12 hours on phone calls to Travisa. Luckily I go to NYC for work 2 times a week and I was able to stop by Travisa office for the human error fiasco.

Don't worry you are not the only one frustrated and angry here. I got my wife's OCI application back after more than 3 weeks from Travisa NY in prepaid Fedex envelope sent by us and the reason being "Prepaid envelope missing". Also it stated in bold letters do not sent US passport, whereas the Travisa website clearly stated it as a requirement and one of the most prominent reason for OCI rejection. I know the rule changed from June 15, but we mailed the application end of may. So at the end I lost $1.10 (MO charge by USPS) + $9 (postage for initial application) + $19 (Fedex return courier charge) + $12 (processing fee) + $1.10 (for another MO for sending 2nd time) + $9 (USPS postal charge) + $12 (processing fee for second time) + $19 (Fedex courier charge to bring passport back) = $82.

PS: No counting of frustration, stress, holding phone line for hours has been counted since that is addtional bonus you get while dealing with Travisa.

EVERYONE,
Please start the O.C.I process like twelve (12) months (yes, one (1) year) in advance.

If you are anticipating that everything will go smoothly, and you will get that O.C.I in your hand within two (2) month or less ,then you are dreaming.

I understand that some people around the nation have gotten their O.C.I cards, or O.C.I booklets and Visa in about two (2) months time period, but those are somehow are the exception to the rule.

The rules are simple.

(1.) Have tons and tons of patients. I mean if you have to wait for one (1) year, then so be it.

(2.)Asks billion questions on this forum.

(3.)Phone Call, Visit, and Mail TRAVISA billion times different things every time to make sure they have everything. Their instructions are just vague and sometimes confusing.

(4.) If need be, curse at TRAVISA from time to time. Granted DO NOT curse on phone, electronic mail, and PLEASE DO NOT CURSE in regular postal mail.

(5.) If you have like extra extra time, then write a very angry letter, or an electronic mail, to consulate, Embassy, or even to TRAVISA. Please DO NOT curse. Please write Constructive things.

(6.) If TRAVISA is giving you have hard time, and in some cases not returning your passport then threaten to file a police report for the 'stolen' passport.

(7.) Write a formal complaint with the consulate by through a formal group such as Indian Business coalition or some type of community like Marathi Community, or something similar to that.

I think if people do some of these things, then TRAVISA and Consulate and or Embassy might just listen and act justly.

I am being completely hopeful here. No Guarantees.

I just hope that TRAVISA gets their acts together before I have to apply through Houston TRAVISA for the transfer of the VISA and change of O.C.I booklet information with the new U.S. Passport number which I will get in about next 4 to 5 years.

that reminds me, do I have to apply for my Miscellaneous Services through TRAVISA or can I just go straight through Houston Consulate?

anyways, PEOPLE PLEASE START YOUR O.C.I APPLICATION ONE (1) YEAR IN ADVANCE.

Houston Consulate needs to rapidly start approving applications that came to them before this horrible TRAVISA company.

I sent in my O.C.I application DIRECTLY to Houston Consulate in January 2011, and acknowledged in February 2011. Since then no updates.