• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Obamacare for new immigrants?

IbnWarraq

I'm sure everyone must've heard about the new "Affordable Care Act" legislation, otherwise known as Obamacare. Everyone must sign up for a healthcare plan by end of 2013, or have to pay a penalty.

What are the implication for us, fresh immigrants? Are we exempt? More specifically, for someone like me who entered the US only to activate my DV immigrant visa and then returned home, and will not move permanently until at least February or March 2014. How do I figure out what must be done?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and pointers.

I'm sure everyone must've heard about the new "Affordable Care Act" legislation, otherwise known as Obamacare. Everyone must sign up for a healthcare plan by end of 2013, or have to pay a penalty.

What are the implication for us, fresh immigrants? Are we exempt? More specifically, for someone like me who entered the US only to activate my DV immigrant visa and then returned home, and will not move permanently until at least February or March 2014. How do I figure out what must be done?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and pointers.

Firstly there is no penalty if people sign up by March 31, 2014. So it probably is not an issue for you. After that time there is a $95 penalty (that is 2014, rising to $325 in 2015) if you were required to sign up and did not - although there are going to be plenty of exceptions and waivers to that penalty - at least for the first year or two. I think most new residents will be ok because they might as well sign up immediately but if in a year or so someone is doing what you are doing they may be exempt until resident or they may get hit with the $325 - but will probably be waived if the person explains the situation...