Oakland CA Speeding tickets, Citzenship

USER12345

Registered Users (C)
Hi

On my citzenship application I have to list when I have been detained by a police officer and how th ematter was resolved.

From this forum I haev lerned that speeding tickets coutn as being detained.

So I need a letter with the application stating that the issue is resolved.

Anyone every got one of these letters and know who to ask?

I dont in CA anymore sadly so I cant go in person .

thanks

You need a certified court deposition. Find the court on the web or by using directory assistance and then request for this document. This document will be notarized by the judge that convicted u , and will describe all in detail

If you contest the citation, you go before a judge. Then you need a court document... The N400 needs proof of resolution of these issues... You do need to have court docs if you pead or were found guilty

Originally posted by Rahul Kumar
If you contest the citation, you go before a judge. Then you need a court document... The N400 needs proof of resolution of these issues... You do need to have court docs if you pead or were found guilty

My theory is that if these issues were not resolved there would be an outstanding bench warrant.

I am still waiting for an interview myslef but from what I heard "regular" speeding tickets or other minor traffic violations are not a big deal. On the other hand one of my fiend was denied citizenship because of DUI.

I have yet to hear about an officer denying an application because there wasn't a court disposition about a speeding ticket presented.

Denial is not the only scenario. Delays are bad too. There was a post earlier abt an interview in the Atlanta office where an officer wanted records of a speeding tickets 10 years ago!!

Traffic Citations don't count

I was told by an Immigration lawyer who is an AILA member that traffic citations absolutely do not count in that question. Of course arrests or DUIs might be a whole different thing but I asked her if that question applies to speeding and traffic light violations. She said "Absolutely No!"

Correction to my post above

A correction. I asked about speeding and collision, she said "Absolutely, No!".
But I think "traffic light violation" is in the same category anyways.

Re: Traffic Citations don't count

Originally posted by eric711
I was told by an Immigration lawyer who is an AILA member that traffic citations absolutely do not count in that question. Of course arrests or DUIs might be a whole different thing but I asked her if that question applies to speeding and traffic light violations. She said "Absolutely No!"

I have visited 3 lawyers recently. I have a complicated case with another member of my family and wanted to hear different stories. During initial consultations I asked this question (about traffic tickets on N400) and got 2 different answers and one "I don't know". They were all AILA members and claimed to have many years of experience.

My point is who cares if one is a lawyer or an AILA member. The only thing they all do consistently is ask for money.

By the way I ended up hiring the "I don't know" one. Somehow I knew she was being honest, at least that moment.;)

thanks for all your answers, (and apologies for the typos.)

Regarding joeF's post:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
" In Part 10 of the N-400, it only says "Answer questions 22 through 33. If you answer "Yes" to any of these questions, attach (1) your written explanation why your answer was ''Yes,'' and (2) any additional information or documentation that helps explain your answer."
So it would indicate that having court documents may be useful, but they don't seem to be required. "
_________________--------------------------------------------------------

That is encouraging as a written explanation might suffice it seems. However I will try again to get some sort of document and will let you all know if I succeed. One letter sent two months back has not resulted in a response.

Generally I beleive the intent of the process is to not be so foolish as to require court documentation regarding a 4 year old uncontested speeding stop that reult in zero points and traffic school, but because there is ambiguity the application could be rejected.

Also, regarding legal advice, a friend in a difficult spot asked about 20 attonerys if " a person on an L1A can avail of AC21 ( job portability after layoff) " and got 10 saying yes and ten sying no. So one always has to be sceptical and should do lots of research first.

thanks again.

just to let you all know

I wrote a letter to

"Correspondence Clerk"
Oakland Superior Court
Traffic Division
661 Washnigton St
Oakland 94607

and received a letter from them indicating that the matter was resolved.
regards