Notification received to pickup PR Card

Hi Feb2002case,

Can I maintain canadian PR using this "2 yrs in 5 yrs presence required rule". Please
share your experiances and let me know what to do and what not to do.

Yes even if you stay 3 out of 5 years outside canada, your permanent residency will remain intact. No doubt about it.

I read in some posts that they stamp your landing papers "Not valid for travel",does it mean I can't enter again? Also I heard we have to physically go to pick PR card. How can I do that if I come back to US and then can't reenter Canada?

This is a tricky situation, I don't know how to overcome this and how the people will manage to re-enter to pick up the PR card. Please post your experience if you came to know the solution.

Originally posted by rajju
Vault:

Thanks a lot for your info. I have landed in 2000 so guess would have to wait for my turn to apply during March-April 2003.

Do you live in Windsor?

Thanks
Rajju

You don't have to wait. You can apply before your turn. I did, and my cards were ready for pickup in 30 days from the date the PR Card application was received by CIC.

No I do not live in Windsor!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by siddiqi101
Vault,
Thanks alot for your comments. I am so confused now. I have been reading all these comments about the new law and people being pull over for finger printing. I want to travel to Canada in January 2003, but i am afraid i mihgt get stuck there becuase of this new law. I do have approved I-797 (H1-B). I don't want to go and applied for a USA Stamp visa from tornto USA Embassy. Did any one else have any update on this law. Last time when i talk to the INS officer he told that i do will need a visa to cross the border after January 01.
Please comment.

Guys!!

1. Not everyone is being fingerprinted!!
2. As of to-day, there is no indication as to when this law will be passed. As I had mentioned multiple times in my previous posts, this law cannot be implemented without being published in the Federal Register (FR). There will be a 45day grace period from the time it is published in the FR for the implementation.
3. I don't know as to why you are hesitant to apply for the Visa at the US Consulate in Canada? If you obtain a Visa, then you don't have to worry about this.
4. Keep checking the US Consulate (Toronto's) web site or the DOS web site for updates regarding this new law.

Jalma,
Thank you very much for your response. I don't know the solution yet.

Can some vetren put some light on my earlier post i.e. if I have land in canada and come back to US after 2 days. How will I re-enter to pick PR card as they will stamp landing papers "Not valid for travel"

Guys, I have to land before Jan 02,2003. Please suggest something.........

FOR Feb2002Case,
1. When you land in Jan 2003 at the landing time they will take your photograph for PR card, you should provide Relative/friend address in Canada so that they can mail your PR card to your Friend/relative address.
“Can some veteran put some light on my earlier post i.e. if I have land in Canada and come back to US after 2 days. How will I re-enter to pick PR card, as they will stamp landing papers "Not valid for travel”
2. Your passport will be stamped "Not valid for travel” it means you can not travel by Air, Bus, train, Taxi, but you can enter Canada by a friends car, some one from Canada can pick you up from US side or you can take rental car with Canadian plates and can enter Canada by driving (I am not sure of this last option driving Canada plated car) last option is to cross the border bridge like Rainbow bridge by foot and enter Canada and then take bus, train, taxi from Canada side.

3 You don’t have to pick up your card as you are landing January 2003 your PR card will be MAILED to the Canada address that you provide at the time of landing and once your friend/relative receives your card he/she can send it to you by FedEx in US, only those who landed before June 28, 2002 have to apply PR card visiting Canada and they have to collect the PR card personally visiting Canada and you don’t fall in that category of landed immigrants, those who landed before 28, June 2002 they don’t have Landing papers stamped as "Not valid for travel” once they get PR card they will get the stamp because they will no more need that IMM1000 and will be having PR card for travel .
4. To apply SIN you have to visit HRDC office and it only takes 20-30 minutes and your SIN card will be mailed to your Canada address with in 2-3 weeks time, you have to fill up application, no Fees for that, when you land next day you can go to nearest HRDC office SIN is only for work and Tax purpose in Canada

You can come back to US finishing all the stuff in 1-2 days, if you wish you can also open bank account it takes only 15-30 minutes.
5. After your landing date you can stay out of Canada for 3 years in any 5 years to maintain your PR
I hope I have cleared your all the points.
Regards
Inder

Inder,

Thank you very much for your reply and it really helped me a lot. Main confucion was how to pick up PR cards personally as I will be in US. I think I can now land in Dec itself.

I appreciate your time!

Hi Feb2002case,

Please update us about your experience in landing. If Inder is right, then there won't be any problem in getting PR card and reentering canada.

Please let us know when you receive your PR card in mail. This will confirm us futher and help other who will be landing after you.

Good luck in your landing

Question to Vault

Hi Vault, thanks a lot for all your information. couple of quick question. You mentioned that your didn't receive your wife's notice together with yours and your son's. I am just wondering how many days after you recieved yours, did your wife get hers. Also, how many days in between of your and your wife's appointment?

thanks.