Notification received to pickup PR Card

Your Passport will work along with LP

Ontario has no picture ID like you get in BC Canada or in US you get ID if you dont have Driving licence.
Ontario Driving Licence, Health card have photoghraps that serves as picture ID, but to get Health card of Ontario you have to show the proof that you stayed for 3 months in Ontraio to get health card. SIN card you can apply any time through HRDC but it is without a picture on it.

Hi it was really great to know that your PR application was processed so fast.......just one question though....do they send the PR card by post or do we have to pick them up from somewhere..............and is the persons physical presence important to pick the card or not.

Thanks

Akshi

All,

I picked up mine(11/19). One has to appear in person with the passport, landing paper, and an additional ID. Under no circumstances they will mail you the PR card. Even though the envelope they give you your card has a prepaid postage on it. They do check very throughly all the information on the passport, landing paper, and the additional ID. CIC lady said that the letter about the photograph was sent by mistake. When I asked if they could release my kids and my spouse's card, I was informed that the cards are in a safe which can be opened only on that particular day. I am not sure if it is a fact.

I made another trip this morning (11/20) to pick up my kids PR card. They checked his passport, landing paper, my ID and they asked for an additional piece of identification for my kid. Specifically asked for the OHIP card.

Oh! BTW they stamped the landing papers as "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" It tooks us exactly 15 minutes from the time we entered the building and were outside the building, with the PR card.

Vault
Would you please share details about your recent trip to Canada I mean the border condition and what kind of questions Canadian Officers are asking at the border, have they become strict ..
thanks in advance

Vault can you also let us know what exactly INS At American side ask you when you were coming back from Canada? Can you apply for PR card and acome back to USA?
I also heard from a friend that INS might be reversing the VISA thing.

Vault..

What is your status in USA? Are you on H-1Bvisa? Another question, before your PR Card, did the officer at the border stamped your papers IMM1000 as not for travel, as they have been stamping the papers for all the new immigrants after June 28, 2002. BTW.. When you file your canadian taxes...do you report your US income. I have been filing my taxes for the past 2 years using my US W-2. What are the ID's that CIC asked for when you picked up your card.

Thanks
Rajju

rajju,

yes, I am on H1-B. I landed in 2001 so my IMM1000 was not stamped "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL". However, when I picked up my PR card, the IMM1000 was stamped. I have always paid my Canadien taxes on the US Income. Carry the following documents wiht you when you go to pick up your PR CARD.

Passport, IMM1000, Canadian DL, SIN Card, OHIP Card. As a precautionary measure, i also took my Canadian bank and credit card statements with me.

Siddiqi,

I will be crossing the border on Monday morning. I will post details on Monday.

truenblue,

I entered via peace bridge. I was asked as to what my citizenship was? How long I was out? That's it. I was not asked to show my landing papers. thats it!! The officer said have a nice evening....

Vault,
Pelase keep me in loop as when you corss the border this Monday. Let us know what INS officer on both side ask you?

Vault,
Do you mean they ask what is your country of citizenship ? have they also started doing profiling crap or something like that ?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Vault,
I wish you a Good Luck, please keep us posted. I like to know if they ask you to be finger printed. Are you H1-B holder.

Urgent Help Required

Guys, I am on H1B in USA. Recently I got canadian PR and have sent passports for stamping. I would need to land by Jan 02,2003. I am planning to land in canada, apply for SIN etc and come back next day on H1B. Can I do it and maintain canadian PR using this "2 yrs in 5 yrs presence required rule". Please share your experiances and let me know what to do and what not to do. All inputs are highly appreciated in advance.

I read in some posts that they stamp your landing papers "Not valid for travel", does it mean I can't enter again?

Also I heard we have to physically go to pick PR card. How can I do that if I come back to US and then can't reenter Canada?

I am totally confused:confused: :confused: :confused:

Notery / Photographer / OHIP / DL office in Windsor

Hi guys,

I am planning to go to Canada after thanksgiving (flying from Oakland, Spirit air is offering return tickets to Detroit for $128 if you want to avail.....).

I landed in Feb 2002 and came back to US after applying my SIN card and opening a bank account. I am planning to apply the PR card, health card and Canadian driver's license this time and need your help regarding the following:

- Contact information of a Notery in Windsor
- Designated photographer for PR card in Windsor
- OHIP office (to apply health card)
- Driver's license office

Will post my border crossing experience as soon as I am back!

Any help is appreciated!
logicators

Originally posted by truenblue
Vault,
Do you mean they ask what is your country of citizenship ? have they also started doing profiling crap or something like that ?

thanks

This has been going on since 2000. Normally that's the 1st question asked by the immigration officer. Be it INS or CIC. I don't think it's profiling. They are doing their job.

Re: Notery / Photographer / OHIP / DL office in Windsor

Originally posted by logicators
Hi guys,

I am planning to go to Canada after thanksgiving (flying from Oakland, Spirit air is offering return tickets to Detroit for $128 if you want to avail.....).

I landed in Feb 2002 and came back to US after applying my SIN card and opening a bank account. I am planning to apply the PR card, health card and Canadian driver's license this time and need your help regarding the following:

- Contact information of a Notery in Windsor
- Designated photographer for PR card in Windsor
- OHIP office (to apply health card)
- Driver's license office

Will post my border crossing experience as soon as I am back!

Any help is appreciated!
logicators

I have replied to your previous post.

Originally posted by siddiqi101
Vault,
I wish you a Good Luck, please keep us posted. I like to know if they ask you to be finger printed. Are you H1-B holder.

I crossed the border this afternoon via Lewiston. Lady INS officer.

1. Citizenship?
Indian (Have Canadian Landed Immigrant Status. Handed over th epassports with the I-797 approval notices).

2. Can you roll down your rear Window?

What is your citizenship mam?
My spouse replies Indian

3. What is his Citizenship? (my kid)
My spouse American

4. Officer tells me to roll up the rear window.

5. How long have you been in Canada?
One week mam

6. All of you entered Canada at the same time?
Yes mam

7. Is that your Son?
Yes mam

8. What do you do for XYZ company?
I told her my job title. (She shook her head)

8. Is this your 2nd I-797?
No mam, it is my 3rd one.

9. Where do you live in the US?
Told her where I lived.

While she was asking me questions from 5 thru 8, she is checking the passport, and the computer. (My guess is she was checking the IBIS system to see if my name pops up in the wanted list :eek: )

10. She returned our passports and I-797 approval notices and said go ahead!!

She never mentioned anything about the VISA requirement for BCC who have Canadian landed immigrant status, and I never bothered to ask her.

Will be heading back to Canada on Thursday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Submitting the PR application after Feb 28th

Hi guys,

According to the application kit I have to apply for the PR card during Dec 2002 and March 2003 time period. Due to my some other commitments I cannot make until then. Is there any chance to apply for the card after March??

Thanks in advance.

Regards

ID for picking up PR card

Vault,

Thanks for your earlier messages. I learnt a lot from reading your messages. You had mentioned that one should carry all the following id's: Passport, IMM1000, Canadian DL, SIN Card, OHIP Card to pick up the PR card. What if only have my Passport, IMM1000 and my SIN card will there be a problem while picking up my PR card. I never applied for my driver's license nor my OHIP. Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: ID for picking up PR card

Originally posted by RAJ5
Vault,

Thanks for your earlier messages. I learnt a lot from reading your messages. You had mentioned that one should carry all the following id's: Passport, IMM1000, Canadian DL, SIN Card, OHIP Card to pick up the PR card. What if only have my Passport, IMM1000 and my SIN card will there be a problem while picking up my PR card. I never applied for my driver's license nor my OHIP. Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

<CIC folks are specifically asking for an additional document with one's picture on it. I don't know what would happen if you don;t have a OHIP card or a Canadian DL. They are specifically asking for one of these.>

Vault:

Thanks a lot for your info. I have landed in 2000 so guess would have to wait for my turn to apply during March-April 2003.

Do you live in Windsor?

Thanks
Rajju

Vault,
Thanks alot for your comments. I am so confused now. I have been reading all these comments about the new law and people being pull over for finger printing. I want to travel to Canada in January 2003, but i am afraid i mihgt get stuck there becuase of this new law. I do have approved I-797 (H1-B). I don't want to go and applied for a USA Stamp visa from tornto USA Embassy. Did any one else have any update on this law. Last time when i talk to the INS officer he told that i do will need a visa to cross the border after January 01.
Please comment.