No name on Indian Birth Certificate: what to do???

sudhany

Registered Users (C)
I just received my birth certificate from my parents in India and discovered that there is no name on it. The document is called an "Extract from the Birth Register kept by the Division Registrar of Births and Deaths" and appears to have been issued by the Health Department of the Corporation of Madras (the city where I was born). On the column for the name of the child, there is a dash. It does, however, give my birth date and time and mention that I am a female and that I was, moreover, "born alive." ("Born dead" and "stillborn" are very clearly scratched out -- yay for me!) It mentions my parents' names and father's occupation, but, alas, leaves out my mother's occupation and slightly misspells her name. The names of the doctor and midwife who delivered me are given and the whole thing is impressively signed by no fewer than three people: the registrar, the health officer, and someone else. There is also a date stamp which shows a date a few weeks after my birth.

Does anyone else, perhaps from India, have a similar birth certificate? Given that there are several corroborating details, is the absence of my name going to be a serious problem? The document is in English, so I'm not worried about having it translated, but is there anything the Indian consulate here can do to make things more formal? Please let me know if you've dealt with a similar situation or if you have any suggestions. Many thanks!