No heath Insurance

Raninisha

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My friend is the earning member and a US citizen, however her spouse is unemployed . My friend gets health Insurance from her employer.

She owns a house and pays for the mortgage, now if anything happens to her spouse and has to pay heavey medical bills, will there will be any issues and will her house her asset will be taken away to pay the bills. He is quite Young, he is only 55 yrs, not eligble for Medicare.

Request your valuable advices.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend is the earning member and a US citizen, however her spouse is unemployed . My friend gets health Insurance from her employer.

Why isn't he covered under her plan?

She owns a house and pays for the mortgage, now if anything happens to her spouse and has to pay heavey medical bills, will there will be any issues and will her house her asset will be taken away to pay the bills.

Possibly.

If he can't be covered under her health plan, he should be able to get an individual catastrophic health insurance policy at an affordable price, as long as he doesn't have any serious conditions in his medical history. Such a policy would require them to pay a few thousand dollars (typically in the $5000/year range, give or take a few thousand depending on the specifics of the policy) out of their pocket if something serious happens, but the insurance company would pay for the expenses above that. Paying the $5000 (or whatever) would hurt, but would protect them from bankruptcy.