New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

interview in manhattan

Yes--i did my interview on 3/20. I will recount to the best of my recollection how things went. The interview letter clearly asks that you NOT show up more than 30 minutes before the appointment so I timed myself to arrive about 15 minutes earlier. There was a short line to get into the building with the standard security check similar to those you find at airports. I went up to the 7th floor (I believe), presented my letter at a window and was told to wait until my name was called.

I wished there and then that I had brought a book with me. The waiting room was packed with people, although not all of them were waiting there for the same reasons. In fact it is the same room where Infopass appointments are held. I remember having been there earlier this year because I had scheduled an Infopass appointment to find out more information about postponing the interview. I posted about this some time ago so please search my previous postings if you are interested it.

After waiting about 40-50 minutes or so I had a rather urgent need to use the bathroom. I had tried to talk myself out of my desire to go but could do so no longer and went to a window to ask if it was a good idea for me to leave the room. (The bathroom was down the hall and around the corner from the waiting room.) I was told to go ahead--that they call all names up to 3x before they toss them out. Luckily I was called (for the first time) a few minutes after I returned to the waiting room. I was led through a door and through a short hallway that led to another large room with many cubicles and offices.

The interview itself took place in one of these offices. The officer who took me in was a white male in his early thirties with a Scandinavian last name. He was friendly and somewhat informal but courteous. He made small talk and then proceeded to check my numerous travel dates against the records in his computer and my passport. He spent the next few minutes basically asking the same questions found on the N-400 application form re. terrorist activities, criminal history, etc. He then asked the civic questions. Six questions were asked, which he said were randomly pre-selected. While I do not remember all of them, some of them were:

How many stripes are there in the American flag
Where is the White House located
Who were some of the enemies of the US during WWII

After that, he had me recite a sentence in English and write down another which he dictated. He then congratulated me on passing the test.

We then went over some details re. my name change request and oath ceremony date. He had me sign some papers with the new names written in cursive. He mentioned that because of my name change request, my oath ceremony will take place on a Friday at a court. Because of my forthcoming business trips, I asked about the possibility of requesting an oath date after April 12. He told me that he would include this request in my file but that he could not make any promises. He also told me that he will send me home after the interview (as opposed to having me wait for the oath ceremony date after the interview). Apparently those folks scheduled immediately after the interview would be given earlier dates. He did state that the oath ceremony cannot be postponed indefinitely; I believe it had to be done within a given time frame, something like 5 weeks, if I am not mistaken.

I think the entire interview took no more than 20 minutes. I may have missed some things so please ask if you have any questions.

Did he ask you for any documents like proof of address,tax returns, current employment etc

No, he did not ask me for any documentation at all. Quite frankly, he seemed to be focusing mostly on my travel dates, possibly because i have MANY. I did volunteer a piece of paper with more travel dates since the time I sent in my application. He did check those against the stamps on my passport.

Umeboshi1, being that this has been a heated debate on this forum, were you asked anything (proof of payment, court dispositions) in regards to traffic tickets?

Also, could you elaborate on the court oath for the name change? I'm changing my last name, and I've read many horror stories about oaths being delayed by as much as 9 months (in Atlanta) due to name change. Did the IO mention anything about how long the wait is for a judicial oath?

No, I was not asked for any documents at all but I do not have any speeding tickets or court issues.

I did ask the officer if the name change would delay my oath. He told me that the only difference was that it would be done at a court instead of where they usually have them but that they are held regularly and that it would not cause any delay. Actually, I am not sure if all oaths in manhattan are held on Fridays or if the ones held at the court is held on fridays, but he did say that they are held on Fridays. As I mentioned, I wanted mine to be after 4/12 since that i will be in NY for about 3 weeks thereafter. After my return from Europe a few days ago, I found my oath letter and was pleased to find that it will be on 4/18.

I've had it with the USCIS. I just contacted Weil, Gotschal & Manges to find out how to become part of the pending class action lawsuit against the USCIS. I encourage all NYC applicants (as this is a NYC-based lawsuit) whose N-400 has been pending for over 6 months (processing time mandated by Congress) to contact the above-mentioned law firm and ask to be included in the lawsuit. :mad::mad::mad:

Their website is www.weil.com

Just had a chat with my coworker about his interview yesterday. Both him and his wife applied last August, and both had their interviews yesterday. The IO went over the N-400 and asked him the usual civics questions. The IO didn't care about traffic violations (my coworker had 2 minor violations), nor did he change the "Have you ever been cited?" to YES. The wife was asked to show her tax returns and was given an oath letter for May 9. My coworker wasn't asked to show tax returns, nor was he given an oath letter, although his application was recommended for approval.

Another thing he mentioned is that both interviews were scheduled for 11 AM, and they didn't get out until 4 PM.

NY Times - Julia Preston

April 11, 2008, 5:32 pm
Readers Share Immigration Stories
By Julia Preston

During two years as the national immigration correspondent for The New York Times, I have received many e-mail messages from readers recounting their struggles with the United States immigration system. These readers were often American citizens and legal immigrants who said they were determined to follow the law. Yet they described heavy burdens the federal bureaucracy imposed on them as they tried to play by the rules.
They wrote of being separated from loved ones because of unpredictable backlogs and delays, or immigration officers’ hasty decisions, or inadvertent missteps by family members in the labyrinth of federal paperwork. In some cases, immigrants who spent years completing advanced studies here and had job offers lined up instead left the country because of quotas on employment visas.
The readers described shuttling between United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and the State Department, two agencies that divide immigration tasks in confusing and sometimes conflicting ways. Both bureaucracies, they said, seemed overwhelmed, hobbled by inadequate resources and by a limited supply of legal visas compared to the numbers of immigrants seeking them.
“I think more Americans need to understand how the current system is making things difficult for people who are trying to do things the legal way,” wrote Kelly Phillips, a Coast Guard seaman from California whose husband is Mexican. “I feel that more individuals would do things legally if the manner for doing so was more reasonable.”
Below are stories I compiled from e-mail and interviews of six people, including Ms. Phillips, who are representative of many more Times readers. If you have a similar story to share about difficulties you have experienced trying to do the right thing in the legal immigration system, please do so by submitting a comment below (briefly – a paragraph or two, please).
KEITH HARRIS, United States citizen, North Carolina
In early March Mr. Harris’s wife, Claudia Solano-Lopez, and their three small children left their home in Raleigh, N.C., to move to Mexico City. To comply with immigration law, the family now must live apart for two years.
Mr. Harris, who is 37 and a veteran of the first Persian Gulf war, met his future wife in 1997 when they both were studying for doctoral degrees in food science at Ohio State University. They married in 2001. They completed their Ph.D.s, and last year Mr. Harris became an assistant professor at North Carolina State University.
Ms. Solano-Lopez, 45, had come from Mexico on a visa for advanced studies (its official name is J-1) that requires immigrants to return to their home countries for at least two years after completing their academic work. Distressed by the prospect of separation and its impact on their children (3-year-old twins and a toddler), Mr. Harris and his wife consulted several lawyers. On their advice, they applied for a hardship waiver from the two-year foreign residency rule, as it is known.
“We understood that we were doing the correct thing, and this waiver was the way we would keep our family together,” Mr. Harris said. But the letter they received from Citizenship and Immigration Services denying the waiver said the family’s separation would not be “exceptional hardship.”
“If they think this is minor emotional anguish, they don’t know what they are talking about,” Mr. Harris said.
With his first-year professor’s schedule and salary, he felt he could not care for their three children alone in Raleigh. The couple did not appeal the waiver denial, because their lawyers said their chances of success were small.
Noting that many Mexicans live illegally in North Carolina, Mr. Harris said, “I feel this is almost a punishment for following the rules.”
RONALD PERKINS, United States citizen, Illinois
After his first wife died five years ago, Mr. Perkins, a 63-year-old postal worker in Champaign, Ill., met a woman from the Dominican Republic and married her there in June 2005. He is still waiting for his new wife, Ana Perkins, to be allowed to come to the United States.
In general, residence visas should be easier to obtain for spouses of American citizens than for other immigrants because there are no annual limits on spouse visas. In November 2005, Mr. Perkins applied for a conditional visa for his wife that would make it relatively easy for her to get a permanent resident visa, known as a green card, after she entered the United States. By July 2006, visa authorities confirmed that Mr. and Mrs. Perkins had submitted all the required documents and their file was complete.
They were placed in line to wait for a required consular interview at the United States Embassy in Santo Domingo — behind more than 26,000 other people. By October 2007 they had inched forward, but more than 7,000 people were still ahead of them.
“Then,” Mr. Perkins wrote in an e-mail message, “they changed the rules.”
The embassy announced it would no longer manage scheduling of its consular interviews. Instead, the scheduling would be handled at the National Visa Center, a State Department site in Portsmouth, N.H. Mr. Perkins was told that their file would be sent there but that it might no longer be complete. Since the file would now be examined by officers in New Hampshire and not Santo Domingo, Mrs. Perkins’s Dominican documents would require certified translations from Spanish to English.
That turned out to be a lesser problem. Recently, their file seems to have been lost in the system. The National Visa Center currently reports it has “no record” of their case.
“I am told to be patient,” Mr. Perkins wrote. He looks at the immigration agencies’ performance with the eye of a citizen who is also a federal employee.
“Someone has created a monster here,” he commented by telephone. “There are so many places that could be streamlined, I don’t even know where to start.”
He tries to keep his sense of humor. “If you only see your wife three times a year, you have three honeymoons,” Mr. Perkins said. “But that doesn’t make up for the time apart.”
KELLY PHILLIPS, United States citizen, California
Ms. Phillips met her future husband, a lawyer and officer in the Mexican Navy, when his ship paid a California port visit in the summer of 2005. They married in Mexico in March 2006. They are currently going through the routine procedures to obtain his permanent resident visa. So far it has cost them about $2,800 in fees and travel expenses, and he may still be years away from receiving the green card.
At first Ms. Phillips, who is 29, and her husband, Juan José Castillo Zarate, 40, intended to live in Mexico. But her husband’s naval unit, based in Baja California, faced threats from drug traffickers, she said. A friend of Mr. Castillo, another Mexican naval officer, was abducted and beheaded by a drug gang, and his head was sent to his family, she said. Ms. Phillips and Mr. Castillo, fearing for the safety of their infant child and also struggling financially, decided to move to the United States. He resigned from the Mexican Navy, and she joined the United States Coast Guard.
In October 2006, they began the process of filing for a type of visa (known as a K-3) that would allow Mr. Castillo, as the husband of a citizen, to live and work in the United States while pursuing his green card. It was the beginning of a dizzying bureaucratic journey, with one form leading to another (I-130 to I-129F to G-325A to AR-11 to I-131 to I-864 to I-485, etc.), and many forms bringing their own filing fees. Since fee increases last year, the most important form, the green card application, now costs $1,010.
Last August, Mr. Castillo flew from Baja California to Ciudad Juárez ($380 round trip) for an interview at the only United States consulate in Mexico that processes K-3 visa applications. The appointment nearly failed because Mr. Castillo, following instructions on the forms, had filled them out by hand, but the consulate accepted only typewritten forms. After paying $50 to have the forms typed on the street and $50 for an extra night in a Ciudad Juárez hotel, in addition to $135 for a required medical exam, Mr. Castillo passed the interview.
Last fall he was admitted to the United States. From her Coast Guard salary, Ms. Phillips has been supporting the family and paying the immigration fees — just barely. In February, after more trips and fees, Mr. Castillo received his authorization to work.
“I did everything that was expected of me legally, and at times it was very hard and almost out of my reach financially,” Ms. Phillips said. “You get in line with everyone else, but you have no idea how long that line is and how many fees there are.
“It is worth it to do it the right way; it really is,” she said. “I just think more people would not resort to sneaking if it were easier and more affordable to do it the legal way.”
NANCY KUZNETSOV, United States citizen, North Carolina
Nancy Kuznetsov, a car sales manager in Durham, N.C., must wait nearly nine years before her husband, Vitali Kuznetsov, can return to the United States. He was deported in January 2007.

Nancy and Vitali Kuznetsov.Mr. Kuznetsov, a 32-year-old citizen of Belarus, is a hockey player. He came to the United States legally in 1998 to try out for a team in West Virginia. Due to an injury, he failed to make that team, but was eventually offered a place on a team in North Carolina. Friends of that team filed papers to extend his visa.
Mrs. Kuznetsov said, in an interview, that she met her future husband through friends in October 2000. By then Mr. Kuznetsov, without seeking an experienced immigration lawyer, had filed additional documents trying to straighten out his status that only made his situation worse.
Drawn together, the couple married in April 2001. But lawyers told them that even though Mrs. Kuznetsov was an American citizen, her husband’s prior problems left him no way under immigration law to recover his legal status without leaving the country for 10 years.
Mrs. Kuznetsov, who is 47 and supporting a daughter still in high school, felt she could not leave. An Army veteran, she has another daughter and a son-in-law on active duty in the Air Force who rely on her for child care when both are deployed. She runs an on-line family clothing business in addition to her job in car sales. She and Mr. Kuznetsov decided to remain in the United States, hoping for a change in the law to help them.
Immigration agents arrested Mr. Kuznetsov at their home in December 2006. He is barred from coming back to this country for 10 years from the date of his deportation.
“What is painful is not having a way to fix things,” Mrs. Kuznetsov said. “Separating a married couple for 10 years seems so cruel and out of proportion to the violation.”
POONAM SHARMA, 32, Legal immigrant from India, New York
Poonam Sharma came to the United States from India as a legal immigrant with her parents 17 years ago, when she was 15. At the current pace of the immigration system, she will be at least 42 before she receives a permanent resident’s visa.
Ms. Sharma said she had always been careful to maintain her legal status and pay her taxes. On student visas, she completed her education with a master’s degree in psychology from the City University of New York. (As an immigrant, she paid higher rates than in-state students.) Six years ago she obtained a temporary H-1B visa for highly educated immigrants.
She applies her psychology skills at a job with a nonprofit organization in New York assisting students with disabilities.
“I am teacher, counselor, friend to the students,” she said. Part of her work is to help disabled high school students prepare to find and hold jobs once they graduate. “I am an immigrant trying to ensure that American children are employable in the future,” Ms. Sharma said in an interview.
Certain that the United States has become her home, she applied last year for an employment-based green card. The waiting list is about 10 years’ long. While she waits, she cannot change employers or accept a promotion.
“It’s 10 years in limbo,” she said. “I can’t think of my life, of buying a house, of my growth at my company.”
She wrote in an e-mail message: “I went through hell to keep myself legal. But no one cares.”
GLENYS OLD, United States citizen, West Virginia
Glenys Old came to live in the United States from her native Britain after an on-line romance with Curtis Old, an American who is a computer systems administrator living in Wardensville, W.Va. They married in 2002, and Mrs. Old and a daughter have become United States citizens. But her son, Michael Head, spent the last five years fighting the immigration system because of a bureaucratic glitch.

The Old family.After Glenys and Curtis were engaged, her daughter, a teenager, came with her to the United States on a temporary visa as the minor child of a fiancée. Her son, Mr. Head, came on the same visa in May 2003, and he immediately applied to adjust to a green card. Mr. Head turned 21 in July 2003, between the time when he presented his application and the August date he was given by Citizenship and Immigration Services for a required interview. To the family’s shock, the examiner who interviewed Mr. Head said that since he was no longer a minor, he had “aged out” and could not adjust to a green card.
Immigration officials insisted that Mr. Head’s eligibility was not pegged to the date when he filed his application, but to the agency’s processing, which is chronically backlogged and unpredictable. They said Mr. Head would have to leave the United States to start over applying for a different visa, one that had a waiting list at that point of at least five years. While Mrs. Old and her daughter received their green cards, Mr. Head received a deportation order.
Mrs. Old, who is 47, has been battling her son’s case ever since. He has a steady job as a truck driver and a steady girlfriend in the United States, and no immediate family in Britain.
“It just has put so much strain on our family; it’s just been hell,” Mrs. Old said. “Families really are being torn apart by such unfair treatment.”
While Mr. Head currently has no permanent visa to remain in the United States, he also cannot leave freely. The authorities declined to give him permission to travel this year with his family to Britain for his grandmother’s funeral. If he had left the United States, he would not have been able to return.

I've a friend who works as a adjudicator in NYC district office. I was happened to meet with her in this evening for a coffee. She told me that naturalization applicants in NYC district office would see a drastic/big change within 5-6 weeks. According to her, NYC office has just finished hiring extra 22 adjudicators just to clear up the naturalization backlog, and they are on a training right now, and would be starting working on applications within a few weeks. Each one would be responsible to adjudicate at least 20-26 applications a day compared to 8-10 so far. And they would get bonuses to adjudicate extra applications over the top of 20-26 a day.

She also said that the reason for NYC office to have been the quickest one in the country until a year ago was because there were at least 17 TEMPORARY Adjudication officers who lost their job last May once their one year term got completed and USCIS didn't reassign them afterwards which is result of not having enough funding from the Congress. I am also told that NYC office has just finished making a space on Asylum office avaiable for interviewing naturalization applicants.

Whether things would change or not is remained to be seen. But I do know that many judges in NY have also been the part of delaying the process in NYC area, including the NY chief Justice. I know for sure that the district director of NYC district office has filed motion with courts many times to give her (her office) the authority to give Oath to naturalization applicants so that applicants could be naturalized on the same day of approving of their application similar to the process in many district offices around the country, such as in Newark in New Jersy wherein interview and Oath are conducted on the same day. The current NYC district director is the same woman who was district director in Newark district office until 2 yrs ago and she is the one who made changes to oath on the same day over there.

Unfortunately, many judges don't like this idea and strongly oppose it especially the chief Judge. So, she cannot do anything about it. According to her, it takes everyone's time/energy/effort to arrange applicants for oath on another day because then USCIS would need extra efforts and workers to compile applicants' files+naturalization certificates and handling of the oath ceremony. But judges have said that this is a "very important moment" for immigrants and they don't want immigrants to deprive from this "moment". But I don't think any immigrant would care to be naturalized by courts over USCIS. I'm sure everyone would prefer to get naturalized by USCIS and on the same day of their interview than in the court on some other date which could be of many months later. So, judges' arguments on this "very important moment" seems vague to me, and doesn't help anyone.

I've a friend who works as a adjudicator in NYC district office. I happened to meet with her in this evening for a coffee. She told me that naturalization applicants in NYC district office would see a drastic/big change within 5-6 weeks. She said that NYC office has just hired 22 adjudicators just to clear up the backlog and they are on a training right now, and would be starting working on applications within a few weeks. Each one would be responsible to adjudicate at least 20-26 applications a day. They would get bonus to adjudicate extra applications over the top of 20-26 a day.

She also said that the reason for NYC office to have been the quicket one in the country until a year ago was because there were at least 17 TEMPORARY Adjudication officers who lost their job last May once their term got completed and USCIS didn't reassigned them. I am also told that NYC office has just finished making a space on Asylum office avaiable for interviewing naturalization applicants.

Whether things would change or not is remained to be seen. But I do know that many judges in NY have also been a part of delaying the process in NYC area, including the chief NY Justice. I mean, the district director of NYC district office has filed motion with courts many times to give her (her office) the authority to give Oath to naturalization applicants so that applicants could be naturalized on the same day of approving of their application like it has been the case in many district offices around the country, including Newark in New Jersy wherein interview and Oath are conducted on the same day. The current NYC district director is the same woman who was district director in Newark district office a year ago and she is the one who made changes to oath on the same day over there.

Unfortunately, many judges don't like this idea and strongly oppose it, including the chief Judge. So, she cannot do anything about it. According to her it takes everyone's time/energy/effort to arrange applicants for oath on another day because then USCIS would need extra efforts and workers to compile applicants' files+naturalization letter and handing of the oath ceremony. But judges have said that this is a "very important" moment for immigrants and they don't want immigrants to deprived from this "moment". But I don't think any immigrant would care to be naturalized by courts over USCIS. I'm sure everyone would prefer to get naturalized by USCIS and on the same day of their interview than in the court on some other date which could be many months later. So, judges' arguments on this "very important moment" seems vague to me, and doesn't help anyone.

Thanks for the update JohhnyCash..without humble people like you this forum would be without valuable information that you provide.

I've a friend who works as a adjudicator in NYC district office. I was happened to meet with her in this evening for a coffee. She told me that naturalization applicants in NYC district office would see a drastic/big change within 5-6 weeks. According to her, NYC office has just finished hiring extra 22 adjudicators just to clear up the naturalization backlog, and they are on a training right now, and would be starting working on applications within a few weeks. Each one would be responsible to adjudicate at least 20-26 applications a day compared to 8-10 so far. And they would get bonuses to adjudicate extra applications over the top of 20-26 a day.

She also said that the reason for NYC office to have been the quickest one in the country until a year ago was because there were at least 17 TEMPORARY Adjudication officers who lost their job last May once their one year term got completed and USCIS didn't reassign them afterwards which is result of not having enough funding from the Congress. I am also told that NYC office has just finished making a space on Asylum office avaiable for interviewing naturalization applicants.

That's precious information, Johnnycash, thank you.

So they let 17 adjudicators go last MAY? That is, right before the surge? Unbelievable. And now they've "just finished" hiring 22--only 5 more than they had pre-surge--to deal with the backlog!

By the way, how come everybody on this forum seems to be going to parties or having coffee with immigration officers? Is there a social network I can join? ;)

Filing WOM based on the posted processing timeframes

Effective this week, I'm beginning to gather the necessary paperwork for the impending possibility of having to file a WOM to compel the USCIS to process my N-400. The first document is the PDF file of the projected processing timeframes for summer 2007 applicants. NYC's posted timeframe is 10.1 months, but, as we all know by now, there is at least 1 applicant (Vik Pal) whose application has been pending in excess of 9 months. It's obvious that the USCIS is already not living up to their promise in at least 1 case. The second document that I will obtain will be a written statement from the FBI indicating that my FPs and name check have been cleared. I will do this by contacting my local congresswoman (Yvette Clarke - http://clarke.house.gov/) and requesting that her immigration liaison look into this for me. By the time July rolls around, I should have this paperwork, and my application will have turned 10 months old. I'm basing my WOM on the fact that the USCIS is knowingly and willfully preventing me from voting in the upcoming election by not processing my application within the specified timeframe by letting it languish in the "interview queue", despite the fact that all my background checks have been cleared and my case is ready to be adjudicated.

Of course, I will not go forward with this lawsuit if my IL arrives before July, but I'm not holding my breath. Would anyone besides vlorak be interested in filing a WOM?

and when can I file it? Do I need to wait for 10 months? Isn't there a Congress ruling compelling the USCIS to adjudicate cases within six months?
Boy, this is a case of bureaucracy gone wild. I mean, if you work for the USCIS whatever you do goes to your benefit. These people messed everything up, but they were rewarded for it: god knows how much overtime they're having now, plus they are offered bonuses for doing their job! While in reality they should all be fired, but there is nothing you can do to them! I have never been this humiliated in my life! Every piece of garbage on the street has more rights than we do!

WOM = Writ of Mandamus. It's a judicial order to compel a government agency to do its job.

There IS indeed a Congress-established timeline of 6 months to adjudicate an immigration-related matter, but I don't think it's a law. In this particular case, the USCIS has published official processing times to complete summer 2007 applications (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD). As you can see, the projected timeframe for summer 2007 applicants from NYC is 10.1 months. This is why I will initiate my lawsuit in early July, provided that I don't receive my IL by then. In early July, my application will be 10 months old. If I don't receive my IL by then, then my application cannot be processed within the posted timeframe. I don't know if a WOM has ever been filed based on not processing the N-400 within the popsted timeframe, but if that's the case, there's a first time for everything.

lawsuit? How can you apply for a job at USCIS? I like the idea of not being accountable for anything...
I'm just unable to accept that the government can be that non-transparent and non-responsible and still call itself democratic! I understand your intentions, but what about those people whose name checks are pending for more that 4 years: don't you think they tried something? Besides, their lawyer can show up in court and say the magic words "Patriot Act" and walk out. What the heck is going on in this country?

Actually, if you read the "Lawsuit against USCIS" sticky, you'll see that most name check victims who filed WOM lawsuits ended up winning and magically having their name check cleared within a couple of weeks. There were a couple of cases where the plaintiffs lost, but the favorable cases BY FAR outweigh the unfavorable ones. The judges are no longer buying the "national security" crap, due to the fact that if a person who is stuck in name check really does pose risk to national security, this person still remains in the country while the name check is being conducted, having several years to perform whatever act of terror they want. The people who are still stuck in name check for several years are those who chose not to file a WOM. There are many reasons for this, such as the $2,500 fee charged by an attorney, or the fear of filing WOM pro se (self-representation) and not preparing correctly. A lot of document collection and preparation goes into filing a WOM, but the results are very rewarding, to say the least.

To answer your other question, a pro se WOM filing costs about $300-$350 plus the cost of mailing the summonses, which must be done via certified mail.

Had interview at 26 Federal Plaza today

My interview was scheduled for 12:00 pm. I arrived at 11:00 AM and was called for the interview at 2:30 PM.

My name , address and telephone numbers were confirmed. She then said " lets take the test ". She asked me 10 questions ( all from the 100 questions) I got them all right. She made me write a simple sentence and asked me to read 3 sentences. She said that you have passed the test.

She then started to go over the application. I had gone on a short trip ( 2weeks) after I filed the application. I mentioned that and she wrote down the dates. She then checked the passport to validate the dates. She asked me whether I am still working with the current employer mentioned in the application. I said yes and then she started in rapid fire the no questions and when we reached the 'Have you ever been cited question...' she asked me whethe I was arrested. I said no.

The interviewer was concerned with the traffic ticket that I got in 2002. I gave her the ticket and court disposition. She filed it and asked me whether I went to court ? I told her that in MI we pay the traffic fines to a court and I had not been to the court since I did not contest it. I mailed in the payment. She wanted to know how it was paid? I said that it was paid by credit card. She changed the 'Have you ever been cited question's response to No and wrote next to it " not arrested. paid fine with credit card. She then pinned the ticket to the rest of the form.

Then she asked me to print my name and sign the application. She then gave me a form with 'you have passed the english/civics/history test" ticked and said that a decision will be mailed in 1 to 2 months. I said thanks and walked out.

I don't have a very good feeling about this. I think mentioning the ticket was a mistake since it was corrected to No by the officer.

Vorpal, experts what do you think will be the outcome?

nyker

how can i contact my congressman?

First and foremost, find out what congressman represents your district. You can do this by going here:

https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

It's very important that you enter the 4 digit extension of your ZIP code, which you can find out by going here:

http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

When you go to your representative's website, look for a link dealing with immigration matters. Instead of contacting them via the website, call their office. Normally, there are release papers that you'd have to sign to legally permit the congressman to contact government agencies on your behalf. You'll probably be instructed to fax them a signed letter of request, which acts as a release form. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,
I recently had my interview and I'm sharing my experience in hopes that it will help someone.

First off, pack a snack. Scratch that, pack a small meal. It took 3 hours before I was called.

My officer who handled my case was nice and pleasant and after he swore me in, he only asked to see my GC, and my SS card. He didn't ask for my selective service letter (only for males who were in the US between ages of 18-26) until he saw that I had marked my application as having registered. Now this doesn't mean that all the other officers will only ask for little proof. It's just that mine did. I did show up armed with document just to be safe though.

As for the questions, I would say we spoke to each other for about 7 mins of the 20 minute interview. The rest was the IO going over my file, leaving the room to make coppies and (I assume) get my file reviewed by his supervisor. But during those 7 mins, the IO asked me if I had any trouble with the police. I said no (the truth). Then he claimed that he saw something in my record that showed that I had an arrest. I wasn't expecting this but the IO was trying to trip me up and see if I was telling the truth. I was caught off guard but I stuck to the truth and he seemed satisfied. After, he proceeded to ask me the test questions. I forget how many but I aced them since I had studied the questions by downloading the free slides on the uscis website (it's either that or you can pay $70 to have them mail you a copy!). You can also get a copy of free test questions at the FP stations. After the questioning, the IO told me that I did real good and gave me a form that said that I have passed my tests and that they will give me an answer on my application in the mail. Then we chatted for a couple of minutes and, to my surprise, the IO said 'I'm going to try to close your case now and get you an oath letter today'. I said that would be great! Then he hunched over his computer and...

Their computer system went down!

I went from frustrated, to hungry, to happy and finally to depressed! The IO said sorry, you'll have to go home and I'll have to mail you a letter. So I headed home and now I'm waiting for my oath letter. I recently found out (by calling service center) that my app has been approved and I'm in queue for an oath letter. Not really sure how long that takes (anyone know?) but it would be nice to find out so I can plan some trips. Oh well, you can't win everything:)

In other news, Vorpol, you are a cool dude. There's absolutely no reason that you should be here helping everyone (and there are others i should give credit too but I'm starting to get sleepy:). I appreciate everyone's knowledge and sense of humor.

My Timeline:
App send - late december 07
FP - mid Feb
Interview notice - couple of weeks later (shocked!)
Interview - late April.

Interview Experience

Finally after over 2.5 years after applying I had my interview yesterday. Thanks to this message board that I have been able to keep patient and maintain my sanity during all this time.

Steps taken to get to interview

Given that I was so behind everyone else, I did what everyone here suggested, regular Information Passes, called USCIS asking about the status, wrote to the Senator (got no response), and finally met my Congresswoman who wrote on my behalf. I will bless her soul, about a month after she wrote to USCIS, I had my interview notice in my hand.

Interview Experince

Was scheduled for 7.55am at 26 Federal Plaza. Got in to the building, tighter security than at airports (shoes, watch, wallet, belt, cell phones, to be put on the x-ray machine). Get to the 7th floor, was surprised to see at least 30 other people at 7 am already. Have to turn off all cell phones, people had family members, some attorneys with them there. Waited for about 1.5 hours and was called in for my interview.

The IO was very pleasant, gave me the oath to tell the truth and then went through the interview. Went through addresses, jobs and each and every question on Part 10 of the N-400. Civic questions, read a sentence, write a sentence etc. Mostly standard stuff, but there were a couple of surprises:

1. She asked for Photographs (thanks to the post I had taken them with me)

2. She asked for proof of disposition of my traffic tickets. I had all of them (credit card statements, canceled checks were enough) except for one. She informed me very politely that she had to follow due process and could not approve my application till she saw in ORIGINAL that the pending ticket had been resolved and paid. She gave me 30 days to produce the ORIGINALs that proved the matter had been resolved. I told her i would get it to her in a day.
She gave me a letter that would enable me to go back to 26 Federal Plaza for the next 2 days, gave me the results of the interview (Determination cannot be made at this time but that I had passed the English and the Civics test), gave me a form N-14 which said I needed to produce proof of disposition of the traffic ticket and sent me away.

3. I had asked her during the interview, if I could get a oath letter and had to travel outside the country soon, so if i could get a date sooner would be very grateful. She told me if I came back before 4pm (the time when they stop issuing oath letters), she would ensure I had my oath letter before I left.

I went to the court in White Plains. Thanks to a wonderful lady there, I could get a letter and a copy of the receipt that the traffic ticket had been resolved (fortunately, I had a xerox of the original traffic ticket). She put the court stamp on the letter.

Using the letter that the I/O had given, I reentered Federal Plaza. Went to Window 45. The person there was willing to accept the letter and said we will mail you a response. I said I would rather meet the I/O, and was asked to try my luck.

Waited, waited by Door #2 (where my I/O) would come to get her next candidates. After an hour she appeared, I ran upto her, she saw my documents, took them and asked me to wait. Wait, Wait for another 45 mins, she came out to get the next candidate, came upto me and said she had recommended that my case be approved and the file was with her supervisor.

Looking down at the clock, I told her it was 3.30pm and could I still expect an oath letter today. She said, she was aware and had told her supervisor too and was hoping that it would be done. She was very very polite and courteous, even asked me if I had had time to go eat something since 7 am and offered to get me a small snack from her office.

Clock turned past 4pm, I was sure i was going to be waiting for US Postal service once again for my oath letter, but to my surprise again, was called to Window 48 at around 4.45 pm and there it was my oath letter. Had it in my hand. The lady handed it to me and said "now go home, I believe you have been here since 7 am".

One problem, the oath was scheduled for May 30. I looked at her, requested her to see if by any chance it could be pre-poned. She asked me to wait a minute while she goes talks to the supervisor. Literally, a minute later she was back with a letter for May 16.

Was a long day, lots of ups and downs, but success in the end.

I have to say, thanks to this forum I was well prepared, thanks to the interviewing I/O who was very nice, polite, courteous and helped resolve everything, thanks to the supervisor for letting me get the oath earlier.

Now off to getting the oath, the passport, SSA and the Indian visa.

Thanks all!