• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New born after getting DV Visa

mouneim

We got our immigrant visa through DV lottery on sept 2014 ( Case 2014AF), for whole family.

However, my wife is pregnant on latest stage, which means that we cannot travel right now, so I am wondering what will be the status of my future baby, and how new born can enter the US along with us.

Thank you in advance

thank you So much Susie for this satisfying answer
i appreciated your supporting links ;)
very professional :)
So baby will have GC upon entry right?
thanks a lot

Last edited:
thank you So much Susie for this satisfying answer
i appreciated your supporting links ;)
very professional :)
So baby will have GC upon entry right?
thanks a lot
Yes, they will proceed him same as you when you hand you file to the immigration officer.

Hello All

i finally received the reply from the US embassy about my query, it`s the same answer that you provided, just wanna share with you

Please note that child would not need any visa, you need to carry child’s original birth certificate along with passport to board for US. In case you are unable to obtain an air ticket, please contact the call center at the given link to schedule a transportation foil appointment. At the time, you will bring in your original passport, child’s passport, original birth certificate and one US visa specification picture.

https://usvisa-info.com/en-ae/selfservice/us_service_options

We hope this information will helpful to you.

Communication Unit

Consular Section

US Embassy Abu Dhabi

http://www.abudhabiivo.net/contactus.aspx
************************************************************************************

We've been through this... our baby was born AFTER the visa issuance but before we first entered US.
The consulate at our country didn't agree to issue for us a transportation letter, so the manager of the flight did not want to let us board the flight with the baby! He didn't know the relevant regulation. Thanks to the good advice we got in this forum, we came prepared with print out of the relevant law and the e-mails from the embassy (and of course, baby's birth certificate and passport), but it took us a while to convince him to agree to even CHECK that we might be OK... eventually he checked with the US and let us on board.
Once we got to the US everything went pretty smooth. Of course, the officers at the POE (for us it was Chicago) know this procedure.
We were NOT required to pay the 165$ fee - while we were in the US we called USCIS to ask, but they told us that if they'll want us they'll let us know but they never did... we already received the baby's GC so I guess it's OK :)
Good luck!

Thank you fSarah for sharing your experience with us.

But, Why US Embassy refused to provide the letter? any reasons?

Technically the letter is not required. The airlines are supposed to know the immigration rules but in practice many of them only know that X passport requires a visa, especially if not travelling from a major hub like London. So yes it is always a good idea to print out and take with any correspondence from the embassy as well as anything official from online, just in case.

Allow me please to move forwards to some other questions crossing my mind

I am not planning to live now in the US, but I want to keep my GC valid.
Do have any plans please on how can I keep GC valid for the maximum period of time? Any tested plans please?

Meanwhile, going through my own plan requires answers to some questions if you can please help me enlightening them:
1- I want to enter the US for the first time, apply for GC and SS then leave the country in less than 10 days, even before having physical cards with me ( A friend will mail them to me later). So it that Ok ?
2- Can I apply for re-entry permit during these 10 days? Without having the physical GC with me? For Finger prints I can come back again later (before the expiry of 120 days )?
3- When filling I-131 for re-entry permit, what are the best reasons for our “temporary” stay outside the country, which we may provide?

Thank you in advance

Allow me please to move forwards to some other questions crossing my mind

I am not planning to live now in the US, but I want to keep my GC valid.
Do have any plans please on how can I keep GC valid for the maximum period of time? Any tested plans please?

Meanwhile, going through my own plan requires answers to some questions if you can please help me enlightening them:
1- I want to enter the US for the first time, apply for GC and SS then leave the country in less than 10 days, even before having physical cards with me ( A friend will mail them to me later). So it that Ok ?
2- Can I apply for re-entry permit during these 10 days? Without having the physical GC with me? For Finger prints I can come back again later (before the expiry of 120 days )?
3- When filling I-131 for re-entry permit, what are the best reasons for our “temporary” stay outside the country, which we may provide?

Thank you in advance

It will take you at least a month to get the required biometrics done for the re-entry permit (on current website advice, and recent experience of someone I know was 5 weeks). So you will need to decide if you really want one, or if you need to leave within 10 days then you have a year to get back. You don't have control over when your biometrics appointment is scheduled.

Do be aware that if CBP suspect you want to keep your GC without living there you are likely to be sent before an immigration judge. A GC is not an option, it is something that has residence obligations to keep it valid....

No issues if coming back before one year?
shall i report tax during this year while i am absent?

Last edited:
No issues if coming back after one year?
shall i report tax during this year?

If you stay out of the USA for more than 12 months without a recent ray permit, that is strong evidence for the government to revoke your GC for abandonment.

Once you have become an LPR you are obliged to file tax returns whether you live there if not.

No issues if coming back after one year?
shall i report tax during this year?

I'm not sure if this is a language issue, but you must come back before one year. 12 months is the maximum you can be away without being deemed to have abandoned residence.
Also, please do a google search for uscis maintaining permanent residence as that will lead you to some useful official links. This deals with tax among other things.

We've been through this... our baby was born AFTER the visa issuance but before we first entered US.
The consulate at our country didn't agree to issue for us a transportation letter, so the manager of the flight did not want to let us board the flight with the baby! He didn't know the relevant regulation. Thanks to the good advice we got in this forum, we came prepared with print out of the relevant law and the e-mails from the embassy (and of course, baby's birth certificate and passport), but it took us a while to convince him to agree to even CHECK that we might be OK... eventually he checked with the US and let us on board.
Once we got to the US everything went pretty smooth. Of course, the officers at the POE (for us it was Chicago) know this procedure.
We were NOT required to pay the 165$ fee - while we were in the US we called USCIS to ask, but they told us that if they'll want us they'll let us know but they never did... we already received the baby's GC so I guess it's OK :)
Good luck!

Thanks for your experience Sarah. We had the same..
The weird thing is that once i sent an email to uscis about our baby's gc fee, they replied with below email. Should i pay the fee, what do you think?

"You must pay the USCIS immigrant visa fee for xxx xxx online through USCIS ELIS. A valid credit or debit card or U.S. bank checking account may be used to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee. You may pay the fee before or after your entry into the United States.

After creating her USCIS ELIS applicant account, the benefit request type will be USCIS Immigrant Fee . You can select this option from the Available Benefits drop-down menu on the View My Cases screen.

You will need to complete the electronic payment request and provide:

Her A-number and Department of State (DOS) Case ID Number

A valid credit or debit card or, if you choose to have money taken directly from your bank account, a checking account number and the routing number for your U.S. bank

If paying for your family members, you must have their A-numbers, DOS Case ID numbers, and correct biographic information. After you pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee, please keep a copy of your receipt for your records. If you do not have A-number and DOS Case ID for xxx xxx, please schedule an InfoPass appointment to discuss your case with an officer at your local USCIS Field Office."

Thanks for your experience Sarah. We had the same..
The weird thing is that once i sent an email to uscis about our baby's gc fee, they replied with below email. Should i pay the fee, what do you think?

"You must pay the USCIS immigrant visa fee for xxx xxx online through USCIS ELIS. A valid credit or debit card or U.S. bank checking account may be used to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee. You may pay the fee before or after your entry into the United States.

After creating her USCIS ELIS applicant account, the benefit request type will be USCIS Immigrant Fee . You can select this option from the Available Benefits drop-down menu on the View My Cases screen.

You will need to complete the electronic payment request and provide:

Her A-number and Department of State (DOS) Case ID Number

A valid credit or debit card or, if you choose to have money taken directly from your bank account, a checking account number and the routing number for your U.S. bank

If paying for your family members, you must have their A-numbers, DOS Case ID numbers, and correct biographic information. After you pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee, please keep a copy of your receipt for your records. If you do not have A-number and DOS Case ID for xxx xxx, please schedule an InfoPass appointment to discuss your case with an officer at your local USCIS Field Office."

You'll need to pay the fee for her at some stage but I presume you don't have an A number for her yet so I don't see how you can do it now? (Or have you entered the US already, in which case I presume you do have an A number?)