• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

NEED HELP!!!!

Doni19

Registered Users (C)
hello everyone,I just came in the US everything is okay just got a job,but I have a big. Problem. I lost my passport with the visa. Now what do you guys think what should I do, wait till I get the green card or report at a police station? I basically don't exist here so I'm afraid to ggo at police. How long till I get the green card? @Britsimon and the others help please....... Sorry for the English I'm writing on a phone.......

You need to contact your home country's embassy and get a new passport.

I'm not quite sure what you're afraid of. You're legal. Why would you go to the police ?

hello everyone,I just came in the US everything is okay just got a job,but I have a big. Problem. I lost my passport with the visa. Now what do you guys think what should I do, wait till I get the green card or report at a police station? I basically don't exist here so I'm afraid to ggo at police. How long till I get the green card? @Britsimon and the others help please....... Sorry for the English I'm writing on a phone.......

Yes you should report the passport as lost. You will need the police report to show when you apply for a replacement. No problem going to the police, i am sure you have something with your name and they can look up your immigration status.

I don't know why you are worrying if you are legal. As the guys have suggested, report the passport as lost and take it from there. I think you're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be - unless there is something you're not mentioning.

@emelyw, the only problem is that I don't have any Id to prove that I'm legal here till I get my GC , I came a week ago how till till I receive my GC.?

You don't have to prove that you are legal to the police. You explain that your form of ID and passport has been lost. As BritSimon said, they will look up your immigration status. You will not be deported.

Regardless, you need to have your passport. I don't know what the law is in your country but in Australia, we are obligated by law to report a lost passport.

Don't worry so much about your GC. That will come. But report that passport because - IMO - that should be your bigger concern.

@emelyw, the only problem is that I don't have any Id to prove that I'm legal here till I get my GC , I came a week ago how till till I receive my GC.?

Stop worrying about it. You don't have to prove it, it's true. Even if some ICE agents raided, they'd just let you go.

You're too focused on the physical stamp in your passport. The stamp isn't the visa. The visa is actually a number in a database somewhere. The visa is "in the cloud".

You still remember your CN #? I am sure you remember it then that's is the proof.

Just take a deep breath and think about what you are saying. Nobody, nobody who is an illegal immigrant in the US would go to the police to report a lost passport because they would probably have been deported so if you show up at the police station asking for help, it will be a clear sign that you are legal. On top of that your 2nd NL letter is probably still available online. Call the US embassy in your country that issued a visa. Ask them to email/send you a confirmation that you successfully attended interview. Print out your 2nd NL and CEAC showing your number being granted a visa. And what's most important contact your country embassy and get a new passport.
There's loads of things that you can do, just don't sit on your butt doing nothing :)

Doni, your finger print is your ID so dont even stress, go to the nearest police station and make a statment about your lost passport, and then re apply for a new at your home embassy.

You were processed at whatever POE you used. USCIS has got all your information. All you need to do is go to the police tell them what happened. Most likely they will direct you to your embassy but after issuing you with a police report. Now after you have your police report stating that you lost your passport, if anyone miss-uses your passport for any reason you are covered. The worst that you could do is not report a lost passport of identity document. While all this keeps you busy you will find your GC in the mail.

I suppose that once you get your GC, your foreign passport is pretty much useless, unless you would want to travel back to your home country.

I suppose that once you get your GC, your foreign passport is pretty much useless, unless you would want to travel back to your home country.

Nope, your passport is still what you use for travel anywhere outside of the USA. You are not a citizen, just a GC holder (LPR). Your GC is recognized for entering the USA...

Nope, your passport is still what you use for travel anywhere outside of the USA. You are not a citizen, just a GC holder (LPR). Your GC is recognized for entering the USA...

They usually require another government-issued ID along with your green card. Technically. I was explicitly asked for my passport.

If I spent a weekend in Tijuana, would I need to bring my passport or is the Greencard enough for entry into the USA? (I'm ignoring mexican immigration in this instance since they don't check anyone)

If I spent a weekend in Tijuana, would I need to bring my passport or is the Greencard enough for entry into the USA? (I'm ignoring mexican immigration in this instance since they don't check anyone)

At jfk I was specifically asked to show my passport. Also, the Mexicans will probably want to see your passport...

They usually require another government-issued ID along with your green card. Technically. I was explicitly asked for my passport.

Yeah, my reply was badly worded, the passport will be required upon entering the USA my point was the the GC is something that only the USA will care about....

Yeah, my reply was badly worded, the passport will be required upon entering the USA my point was the the GC is something that only the USA will care about....

Well, not only. Some of us who need visas for certain places can get exemptions for those with a green card eg Mexico, Canada, transit visa for UK....