NEED HELP PLS.. filing n400, had reentry permit but went over 2 yrs abroad

ungas29

Registered Users (C)
hi,

I'm filing for an n400 application, i just found out that i went over 2 yrs abroad.
My reentry permit was valid from June 29 2004- June 29, 2006. I was out of the country from May 23, 2004 and went back to the US June 20, 2006.

I was out of the country when my permit was issued, finishing college. Since on my permit, the validity stated it's good till June 29, I thought that I have till that date to go back to the US.

My question is, do I have a chance that my application will be approved? Or, is there a chance I can get deported or lose my green card since I went over 2 yrs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

You were properly admitted back into the US before your reentry permit expired, so going over 2 years back then will not affect you being able to keep your green card.

If you apply now, it will be more than 5 years minus 90 days since the end of your 2-year trip, so the trip will not affect your eligibility. You are also eligible for the 4 years + 1 day rule, but there is no need to use that since you already qualify under the regular 5 year rule.

i had a similar case. i was out of USA for 2 year and 9 months. In 2002 it was taking almost a year to get re-entry permit. I applied and left. I got re-entry permit in 2003 valid till 2005. I returned before the expiry of permit.

I had no problem and got citizenship in 2010.

that was a big relief! i couldn't sleep well because I was so worried! It really took a while for a permit to be issued back then.

I'm going to file now, thanks for the help guys!