Naturalization Timeline Question

shakesbeer

Hi all.

First, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. This forum was so helpful for me in understanding the immigration process. So, now, I need to understand the timeline before applying for my wife's citizenship.

I will share our timeline here, but my question is that My wife and I got married in March 2020, and we will be married for three years this upcoming March 2023. I obtained US citizenship in April 2021; when should we apply for her citizenship?

In my wife's green card interview, the interviewing officer told us that since we will be married for three years in 2023, we can apply for citizenship without applying for a ten-year green card. But I have yet to confirm this info. So if anyone went thru this kind of situation, please help me understand.

The timeline is below. Thank you so much for helping.

Green card timeline.
- In March 2020, I got Married while holding a green card.
- In December 2020, submit an I-130 and apply for a green card.
- In April 2021, I earned US Citizenship.
- In May 2021 I-130 Approved and submitted I-485
- In February 2022, The Green card was interviewed and received a green card. (Unfortunately, we did not reschedule the appointment to complete the 2-year mark)
- In March 2023, we will be married for three years.

Should we apply for citizenship in March 2023 or apply for a ten-year green card and wait until April 2024 for citizenship?

I believe it is April 2024 that is when your wife will fulfill requirements to being married to US citizen for 3 years since you became US citizen in April 2021. You wife file application in Jan 2024, 3 months ahead of April 2024.

I believe it is April 2024 that is when your wife will fulfill requirements to being married to US citizen for 3 years since you became US citizen in April 2021. You wife file application in Jan 2024, 3 months ahead of April 2024.

Hi, thank you for your answer. Does she need to be a permanent resident for three years in this case or not?

She needs to have been a permanent resident for 3 years (but she can file the N-400 up to 90 days before reaching that), and she needs to have been married for 3 years, and her spouse needs to have been a US citizen for 3 years. In this case, the last condition to be met is her being a permanent resident for 3 years. If the date her Adjustment of Status was approved (which should be the "resident since" date on her green card) was in February 2022, the earliest she can file is 3 years minus 90 days after that, which should be some time in November 2024.

She will be required to apply for Removal of Conditions within the 90-day window before her 2-year card expires (i.e. between November 2023 and February 2024). She can apply for naturalization in November 2024 even if her I-751 is still pending.

She needs to have been a permanent resident for 3 years (but she can file the N-400 up to 90 days before reaching that), and she needs to have been married for 3 years, and her spouse needs to have been a US citizen for 3 years. In this case, the last condition to be met is her being a permanent resident for 3 years. If the date her Adjustment of Status was approved (which should be the "resident since" date on her green card) was in February 2022, the earliest she can file is 3 years minus 90 days after that, which should be some time in November 2024.

She will be required to apply for Removal of Conditions within the 90-day window before her 2-year card expires (i.e. between November 2023 and February 2024). She can apply for naturalization in November 2024 even if her I-751 is still pending.
Thank you so much newacct. So that means our interview officer was not very knowledgeable about the process. Thanks for the clarification.