Naturalization Interview Results - N-652: A Decision Cannot Yey Be Made About Your Application

tributeblinky

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I had my Naturalization Interview today at the Los Angeles office. I applied on October 10th, did FPs on October 23rd and was scheduled for interview for today.

The officer asked me some civic and English questions first, passed that, no problem. Then went through the application, asked about work and travel (I did go to COP but that never came up), she just asked why I was out on a couple of my trips for a little too long and what happened to work and how I supported myself, I explained and she also asked about where members of my family are and I also gave her the information, she seemed satisfied. Then went through the rest of the application and had me sign it. She got my passport and travel documents and green card and selective service registration proof from me and asked if there was anything else, and I said I brought all that was listed on the interview notice. Then she had me sign the name change forms.

Then while typing away at the computer, she said the system is saying that there is pending background check and that everything else seemed fine with my application. Then she handed me the N-652 - Naturalization Interview Results form and checked the "You passed the tests of English and US history and government" option and the "Follow the instructions on Form N-14" option and the "A decision cannot yet be made about your application". On the N-14 form, she checked the "No further action on your part is required at this time. Upon receipt the below checked boxes, your application can be acted upon: (she checked) Other: (she wrote) pending for background check" option. I asked her if there is anything I need to submit or do and she said no and that once the background check is over, I should receive something in the mail. Then she walked me out, made copies of all the documents she asked me off, and handed them back to me and she said just wait and that this is done quick nowadays.

I left the office with a bit of disappointment and as soon as I got in my car, I received a case status update in the email saying: "we mailed a notice requesting initial evidence in this case. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the evidence requested. Meanwhile, processing of this case is on hold until we either receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once you submit the evidence requested and a decision is made, you will be notified by mail. A request for evidence is made when an application/petition is lacking required documentation/evidence (initial evidence) or the officer needs more documentation/evidence (additional evidence) to determine an applicant's eligibility for the benefit sought. We may send you a request for evidence at any stage of our review. The request will indicate what evidence or information is needed for us to fully evaluate your application or petition. The notice will explain where to send the evidence and will give the deadline for your response. Your application or petition will be held in suspense during that time."

And this was even more disappointing and confusing since she told me and it clearly says on the interview results paperwork that I don't need to do anything and she also confirmed. I am just freaked out and not sure what is happening with my case and what all of this means.

I would appreciate it if experts shed some light on this and if any member has gone through the same thing, share their experience.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a placeholder status in the system. That happened to me also. So do not worry and wait.

Thanks Ivnp.

Did your N 652 say the same thing (pending background check)? Or was it something else? And did you actually receive anything in the mail after your case was updated to RFE? If so, what did it say?

I appreciate your help.

Mine was checked as approved but the officer told me there's background check pending. On the same day the system turned to RFE. I never received an RFE letter, it was a placeholder. Eventually I got the oath letter.

Thanks Ivnp.

I wonder why the office didn't approve mine if the only thing was the pending background check. Frustrating!

I think I read somewhere that USCIS/FBI have an internal deadline of completing all background checks within 90 days. They took my biometrics on October 23rd. So hopefully I'll hear something within the next 10 days! The concerning thing is I have not been able to find anyone around me or online with the same experience.

It is not a big issue unless you committed a serious crime. My brothers and I were also not approved at the interview because we were arrested by ICE. We were told that we need supervisor approval. We got approved within 2 days and oath within 1 week of our inerview.

Thanks mesbahul.

I guess I will just have to wait. The only thing that threw me off was the fact that my online status has been retracted back to request for initial evidence. It's frustrating being stuck in immigration limbo.

Thanks mesbahul.

I guess I will just have to wait. The only thing that threw me off was the fact that my online status has been retracted back to request for initial evidence. It's frustrating being stuck in immigration limbo.

As i told you that's an unofficial placeholder. You can call and talk with a 2nd tier officer on the phone or do infopass to ease your anxiety but I'm 99% sure that they did not send you a RFE. As soon as your check is complete they will issue the oath letter.

Best of luck.

Thanks Ivnp.

I hope so. I wonder if this has something to do with my name change. Because she didn't mention anything at the beginning but as soon as we were done signing the name change forms and she input it in the computer, she said the system does not allow her to proceed because of pending background check.

We'll see I will keep you guys posted.

Hey guys,

OK my online status was updated today to Request for Evidence Response Review: we received your response to our request for evidence. This case is being processed at our LOS ANGELES, CA location. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. You should expect to receive a written decision or written update within 60 days of the date we received your response unless fingerprint processing or an interview are standard parts of case processing and have not yet been completed, in which case you can use the processing time information on our website to estimate when this case will be done. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283. Once a timely response to the request for evidence is received by USCIS, we review the evidence or information you submitted. If you submitted the requested evidence, we continue with the adjudication of your application or petition in light of the new evidence."

I am assuming this means they received the results of my background check?

Hey guys, just want to keep you in the loop. I called in on Friday and talked to a second tier officer and explained the online status updates for my case. He put me on hold and talked to the district office. He then told me to ignore the online status updates, and that they have received the results of my background check and they had all the documents at the interview and that my application is approved.

Then I received this case status update:

"Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Your Case Status: Oath Ceremony

We placed your application in the oath scheduling que. We will send a notice when the ceremony is scheduled. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.
Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies. "

So hopefully, I'll receive my oath letter soon.

Thanks for all your input and help.

Thank you. I sure am glad it is almost over! :) Below is the latest status update I received.

"Case Status: Oath Ceremony

We scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies."

Hey guys,

I received my Oath Ceremony notice. In the notice it is asking me to bring the notice, my green card, all reentry permits and refugee travel documents that I have in my possession, and any immigration documents that I may have in my possession.

For the interview, I was asked to bring all passports and travel documents in my possession that I used to gain entry in the us, all of which I brought and showed (there was a RTD that was returned to them a couple of years ago). But I also had a reentry permit issued to me after my last entry, which I never used because I never left the us since my last entry. I didn't bring that to the interview because it didn't apply to their request. Did I do the right thing? I know for the oath ceremony I have to take it, but is that going to be a problem? I never travelled overseas since summer of 2012 and this RP was issued in the April of 2013.

Also, when they ask for any immigration document I may have, what do they mean? Expired Employment Authorization Card (EAD)? Asylum approval letter and the I-94? Other I-94s?

One last thing, in the back of the notice there is a question that asks if since my interview I have been arrested, cited, charged, blah blah blah.... for breaking any law or ordinance, including traffic violations. I got a ticket in October before I sent out my application, for speeding and not having proof of insurance in the car (I did have insurance but not proof of it in the car). I did not include that in the application because I had a date reserved in February to go in and show my proof of insurance and pay for the speeding ticket, which apparently is not required to be declared on the n-400 form. Anyway I went in 2 weeks ago prior to my reserved date, showed my insurance which dismissed that part of the ticket and paid for the speeding ticket which was less than $500. My question is, should I have said yes on the n-400 application regarding citations? My answer to the question on the oath letter should obviously be no because this happened before my interview, even before the application was sent out, right? Am I supposed to explain all of this on the oath day or is it all good?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey everyone, I appreciate any help with this! Thank you.

I received my Oath Ceremony notice. In the notice it is asking me to bring the notice, my green card, all reentry permits and refugee travel documents that I have in my possession, and any immigration documents that I may have in my possession.

For the interview, I was asked to bring all passports and travel documents in my possession that I used to gain entry in the us, all of which I brought and showed (there was a RTD that was returned to them a couple of years ago). But I also had a reentry permit issued to me after my last entry, which I never used because I never left the us since my last entry. I didn't bring that to the interview because it didn't apply to their request. Did I do the right thing? I know for the oath ceremony I have to take it, but is that going to be a problem? I never travelled overseas since summer of 2012 and this RP was issued in the April of 2013.

Also, when they ask for any immigration document I may have, what do they mean? Expired Employment Authorization Card (EAD)? Asylum approval letter and the I-94? Other I-94s?

One last thing, in the back of the notice there is a question that asks if since my interview I have been arrested, cited, charged, blah blah blah.... for breaking any law or ordinance, including traffic violations. I got a ticket in October before I sent out my application, for speeding and not having proof of insurance in the car (I did have insurance but not proof of it in the car). I did not include that in the application because I had a date reserved in February to go in and show my proof of insurance and pay for the speeding ticket, which apparently is not required to be declared on the n-400 form. Anyway I went in 2 weeks ago prior to my reserved date, showed my insurance which dismissed that part of the ticket and paid for the speeding ticket which was less than $500. My question is, should I have said yes on the n-400 application regarding citations? My answer to the question on the oath letter should obviously be no because this happened before my interview, even before the application was sent out, right? Am I supposed to explain all of this on the oath day or is it all good?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey everyone, I appreciate any help with this! Thank you.

I would not worry about it. I also had a speeding ticket pending in traffic court at the time of my oath. I never mentioned it to them because I felt I did not have to as the Judge had not ruled on my ticket. My sister was also in the same predicament. She got a speeding ticket two days before her oath. She paid the ticket before the oath, and she decided to immigration office about the speeding ticket. It was not a big deal. She was still able to attend her oath.

It is up to you if you want to tell them.