Naturalization certificate lost, impact to I-130 filing

Raghu Raman

I have been a US citizen for ~10 years, have a valid passport and in the process of sponsoring GC for my parents. I lost of my naturalization certificate (dont have any copies either) and have recently applied for a duplicate.

What would like to know what would be the impact to I-130 filing due to this? I need to file this soon for my parents. I do have the notice of processing of the duplicate from DHS which I can attach. Can I proceed with all other documents noting this as an exception that will be supplied later when it becomes available? Any help is appreciated.

You don't need a Certificate of Naturalization to petition your parents; a valid US passport will do for proof of US citizenship. But you do need to answer the questions about certificate number and place and date of issuance on the I-130 form (part 2 #39).

Thanks for the input. I dont have the date of issue and the certificate number. I do have the place of issue since it was the same for my wife. What do I fill in the form for the missing information?

Thanks for the input. I dont have the date of issue and the certificate number. I do have the place of issue since it was the same for my wife. What do I fill in the form for the missing information?
I think you should put something like "(lost)" in the space for those questions, and explain in the cover letter that it's lost and a replacement has been applied for, and maybe also attach a copy of the receipt for the replacement. Of course, you also provide a copy of the passport as proof of citizenship.

I would think US CIS can just look this up since it's the same agency that processes and enters your N400 info and the I130, but they probably won't