Naturalization before Selective Service registration is finished

JackH

Hey everyone, recently something has come up and I need to apply for citizenship fast but the problem is my Selective Service registration is still being processed. Can I apply for naturalization now while my SS registration is still being processed? or do I have to wait till its done. Its been around a month since I send out the SS form by mail. Thank You

How can you apply for citizenship if you havent register for SS when u first got your green card? how old are you btw?

The only situation that I can think of is you got your green card when you were 13 and now that you are 18, you can apply for citizenship and have to register for SS?

kinda confusing here.

How can you apply for citizenship if you havent register for SS when u first got your green card? how old are you btw?

The only situation that I can think of is you got your green card when you were 13 and now that you are 18, you can apply for citizenship and have to register for SS?

kinda confusing here.

1. Not everyone is initially eligible to register for the SS when they first get their GC.

2. The fact that the OP is applying for citizenship doesn't necessarily mean he just turned 18. Some people personally make the decision to wait longer than 3/5 years of when they're eligible to apply for citizenship before actually applying.

1. Not everyone is initially eligible to register for the SS when they first get their GC.

2. The fact that the OP is applying for citizenship doesn't necessarily mean he just turned 18. Some people personally make the decision to wait longer than 3/5 years of when they're eligible to apply for citizenship before actually applying.

He said his SS is being process, so I was just assuming that he is eligible to register for SS.

He said his SS is being process, so I was just assuming that he is eligible to register for SS.

Yes he said that, but it still doesn't necessarily mean he just turned 18. It's possible he forgot or didn't bother to register when he turned 18 or when he initially got his GC (assuming he was already 18 or above). I suppose he has now applied for SS, since he's still within the age range and not necessarily 18 (regardless of how old he was when he got his GC) to enable him file for naturalization.

Yes he said that, but it still doesn't necessarily mean he just turned 18. It's possible he forgot or didn't bother to register when he turned 18 or when he initially got his GC (assuming he was already 18 or above). I suppose he has now applied for SS, since he's still within the age range and not necessarily 18 (regardless of how old he was when he got his GC) to enable him file for naturalization.
The reason why I said he just turned 18 is because he was before the age where he is required to register, which explains why he didnt register, and now that he is 18 (assuming), he needs to be registered in order to get citizenship.

The reason why I said he just turned 18 is because he was before the age where he is required to register, which explains why he didnt register, and now that he is 18 (assuming), he needs to be registered in order to get citizenship.

And I'm tying to explain to you the fact he's registering now may not necessarily mean it's because he just turned 18! There are several cases of people who got their GC before their 18th birthday and never bothered to register for SS when they eventually turned 18. Some of those people sometimes eventually register, years down the road,when they're now in their twenties (or just before turning 26 as a matter of fact!) in order for them to be able to apply for naturalization.

And I'm tying to explain to you the fact he's registering now may not necessarily mean it's because he just turned 18! There are several cases of people who got their GC before their 18th birthday and never bothered to register for SS when they eventually turned 18. Some of those people sometimes eventually register, years down the road,when they're now in their twenties (or just before turning 26 as a matter of fact!) in order for them to be able to apply for naturalization.
well seems like u have misunderstood my point.... but anyways, its not important.

Hey everyone, recently something has come up and I need to apply for citizenship fast but the problem is my Selective Service registration is still being processed. Can I apply for naturalization now while my SS registration is still being processed? or do I have to wait till its done. Its been around a month since I send out the SS form by mail. Thank You

Yes, you are required to have a selected service number prior to sending in your N400. During the interview, the IO will ask you for proof of your service number card and he will verify that with the service number you wrote on your application. You can check online to see if you already have a SS.

What I don't understand is, if you turned 18 say years ago, as a GC holder, why didn't you register then? If you just turned 18, then just register and wait for the card to arrive. You can also go online to check your status and see if you already have a number. All you need for the application is your date of registration and SS number.

You can register for SS online, you get your number almost a few days after doing so.

I have never heard such thing that a GC holder is not eligible to register for SS, I have however, read that sometimes you can't if there is something wrong with your SSN.

Just FYI, if you're already 26 and never register for SS and were a GC holder (Permanent Resident) prior to your 26th birthday you might be permanently ineligible for US Citizenship.

During the interview the IO will ask you when you registered and how old were you when you did, at least mine asked me that. I provided him with my card and my online verification letter, both stating when I registered. I registered the day after my 18th birthday. The IO was very pleased to see that I was obeying with the law.

I have never heard such thing that a GC holder is not eligible to register for SS, I have however, read that sometimes you can't if there is something wrong with your SSN.

Okay mr either help the guy above or take your argument elsewhere, some facts for you:

• A female GC holder is not required (or eligible to even if they want) to register for SS
  • A GC holder younger than 18 or above 26 years old is not required (or eligible even if they desire) to register for SS.

Just FYI, if you're already 26 and never register for SS and were a GC holder (Permanent Resident) prior to your 26th birthday you might be permanently ineligible for US Citizenship.

Hmmn, not so. There is a solution for anyone who may be in that situation. It's known as waiting for some additional years to show good moral character. Such a person will be able to apply for citizenship after they turn 31! Or 29 if they've been married to and are living with a USC all the time!!

Last edited:
To Joecool123 and Sm1smom:

either help the guy above or take your argument elsewhere.

FYI: It's not like the OP was waiting 6 months down the road for a response. That post was put up on Jan. 16th, the person who posted was last in the forum on Jan. 17th. The conversation pissing you off occurred between June 24th and 28th - well over 6 months after the original post.

Considering the fact that you only registered in the forum today and this was your very first post, maybe you might want to settle down and understand the forum a little bit more before firing away at people.