Naturalization and proof of child support?

octopus

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am writing this question on behalf of my good friend who has been LPR over 25 years and now she would like to leave the US for an extended period of time.

My friend would like to apply for US citizenship!

She got her green card thru marriage, few years later they divorced and her ex husband took custody of the child they've had together. From what I now the agreement was to pay at least $100 a month for a child support if I am not mistaken.

And if I am not mistaken, she has to have a proof, a letter from her ex husband that she indeed fulfills the requirement of paying the $100 every month, otherwise she is not eligible for citizenship. Is that correct?

The problem is that he is not willing to provide such letter. But we all know that she has been giving time and money (cash) to the kid. In money it would be well over $100 I am sure.

How can we go about applying for her citizenship? Is indeed a word from her ex husband necessary?

First of all, this child support only matters for within the last 5 years. So if the child support period was over more than 5 years ago, it shouldn't be an issue.

About the evidence, from the N-400 documentation checklist, it says "If you have a dependent spouse or child(ren) who do not live with you, send" the court order to provide support and evidence of your support, which can include things like cancelled checks, receipts, court documents, etc. Also, because it says "have" in the present tense, I am not sure if it applies if the child is not her dependent anymore.

newacct, thank you a lot!

I am not sure if she can dig all the evidence for the last 5 years. She would never send her ex husband money, instead she would buy clothes for her kid and she would take him for vacation(s), she would take him out to eat, etc. And the ex husband won't certify that she met her obligations, so I don't know ...