1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

naturalization after 2 years of marriage to US citizen, green card was obtained from employment

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by esterag, Jul 10, 2011.

  1. esterag

    esterag New Member

    i have received my green card through employment 3 years ago while i was single. happened to marry us citizen after getting my green card to whom i have been married now for 2 years. when can i apply for citizenship? do i count 3 years from the time i got green card or from the time i got married?

  2. brb2

    brb2 Registered Users (C)

    3 years of marriage with the US citizen. Others might comment if OP is allowed to apply 90 days before meeting the 3 year anniversary.
  3. baikal3

    baikal3 Registered Users (C)

    The 90 days rule applies only to the continuous residency requirement. All other naturalization requirements (including, for marriage based cases, the requirement to have been married to a U.S. citizen spouse for 3 full calendar years) must be satisfied at the time of filing N-400.

    So the OP needs until 3 full calendar years have passed since the marriage anniversary before submitting N-400.
  4. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    The day AFTER your 3rd wedding anniversary, you can mail your N-400, if otherwise qualified.
  5. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Both. You need 3 years of marriage to a US citizen AND at least 3 years with a green card (minus 90 days for the green card anniversary, but not for the marriage anniversary).

Share This Page