Names swapped in passport

kotharijk

The way my name is printed (hand written) in my Indian passport is as under:

Surname: <Last Name> + <First Name>
Given Name: <Middle Name>

Because of this my name appears same way in H1B visa stamped. However my name appears correctly in my H1 petition, SSN, driver's license, I-94.

I am in USA on H1B and will visiting India soon to get another H1B stamped because of H1 transfer. I want my name to be rectified in passport before the next H1 visa stamp. I want to get my name rectified in the passport so my Last Name appears against Surname and <First Name> + <Middle Name> appears against Given Name.

What is the best way to get the passport rectified? I read few threads on this topic on various sites and found different answers from different people. Few suggested get the name changed with newspaper advertisements, some suggested get the name changed with affidavit and some suggested get an observation marked in passport.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I also have the same problem in passport. Were you ablet to rectify it ? Please let me the procedure you followed
Thanks

Hi,
I had my names swapped in my passport as Middle name Firstname Last name.
I just took it to the Indian embassy in US and corrected it.They will just write the corrected name and stamp it and make a note in the existing page to refer to this page no where it has been corrected.
Hope this helps.

I had the same problem. When I went to India for vacation I got a new passport with the correct name from the passport office that issued my first passport. The passport officials check the application which was given when we apply for the passport for the first time. If the correct name is written in the application they will issue a new passport with the correct name as it is their mistake. If you know someone in the passport office you will get the new passport in one day.If you have written it incorrect in the application then it is difficult to get a new one. Hope this information will be of help to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My name was swapped to, when I got the new passport in Washington DC. But when I applied for visa at the US embassy in Chennai, I put my original un-swapped name under the "Is the applicant known by any other name" They were able to pull my records with my original un-swapped name. So there was no problem. And they accepted it. No need to change. Next time when I renew my passport, I will tell them to put my name back correctly.