1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

name discrepancy

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by volt, Aug 10, 2009.

  1. volt

    volt New Member


    My name on my birth certificate (Canada) is different from my green card (first and middle name are exchanged). I need to get this fixed before applying for citizenship. How can I get this fixed?

    Thank you.
  2. usnycus

    usnycus Registered Users (C)

    You can also request name change (correct name) while submitting N400 application.

    I believe it is in part 1 section D in N400.
  3. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    I know a lady who corrected info at time of US citizenship . Her name on Indian Passport is: Madhu Rakesh Kumar walia. On her I-485 she wrote Last name: Walia, Middle name: Rakesh Kumar, First name: Madhu and that was correct. But on her Green Card USCIS wrote: Walia Kumar, Madhu rakesh. She wrote her name as on the GC in N-400 column and she wrote her correct name on the N400 application and at the time of interview she informed the officer and got her naturalization certificate with name: Madhu Rakesh Kumar walia.
    It was in Newark ,NJ.

    I dont know what is mistake on your card.
  4. usnycus

    usnycus Registered Users (C)


    That is so normal for USCIS. I have met many individuals who got name problem in GC.

    Btw, glad to see you around. I remember your posts (all informative and helpful) while moderating LC forum back in 2002/2003.

  5. godisgoodtome

    godisgoodtome Registered Users (C)

    Yes, just check the box on your 1-400 when applying for it, there is an option there to change or corect name changes.
  6. SunnyJ

    SunnyJ Registered Users (C)

    It doesnt matter what you have on your Green Card, they will go by the Birth Certificate name that you presented during the Green Card process. Atleast, thats what I was told, so My Naturalization Certificate has my name that I had on my Birth Certificate not what I had on my Green Card.

    Yes, you have the option to change your name but not all DO will do that. For isntance, San Diego or Seattle will not do a name change as they probably are not located at a site where there is a judge. In those situations, you will have to change the name afterwards...
  7. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)


  8. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    N-400 has box for Name change and not to correct the name. if one has mistake on Card then one should point it to officer and inform that your name is printed incorrect on GC. if one has copy of any EAD or AP issued in past by USCIS or copy of the form I-485 that has correct name on it and was submitted to USCIS then better take the copy of any document, receipts issued with correct name and request the officer for correct name on naturalization certificate.
  9. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    Did you had wrong info in Card? did you check N400 for Name Change or informed officer at the time of Interview that your name is printed wrong on Card and your name is.......... did the officer check the form I-485 or birth certificate that you submitted with I-485 or you gave him the birth certificate at the time of Interview?
    I am asking because many did not submit birth certificate with I-485 as they don’t had Birth certificate and only submitted Non Availability of Birth certificate and two affidavits with I-485.
  10. WhoRunTings

    WhoRunTings Registered Users (C)

    my own name fixing experience

    I agree with SunnyJ. Also, San Jose doesn't do name changes, either.

    I am in the same situation as volt. My story is basically that my name was translated from another language in two different ways -- they are all the same names, just under different "translation philosophies". So I have THREE names:

    Name A: my green card spelling, and a godawful one to boot.

    Name B: my preferred name, which I used on many school & financial records; fortunately I have a birth certificate certified translation with that spelling.

    Name C: a typo of Name A, used on my advanced parole document from 10 years ago.

    I very, very much wanted to have my naturalization certificate in Name B!! So, here is how I filled out my N-400, Part 1:

    Question A (current legal name): used Name B. Attached a copy of birth certificate and the certified translation to N-400, with a letter explaining that it is my preferred name. I would recommend folks attach an ORIGINAL certification of translation, BTW, not a copy. Also bring the original to interview.

    Question B (name on GC): used Name A (no choice there, really).

    Question C (all names you ever used): listed Name B. At the interview, I asked the IO to add Name C because I forgot to put it on there originally.

    Question D (do you want to legally change your name?): YES, to Name B.

    When I went to the interview, we spent the first 5-10 minutes just trying to resolve my 3 different names! In the end, the IO struck out Question D because we can't do legal name changes in San Jose. Additionally, because my birth certificate in my file has Name B in the translation, and because I put Name B for Question A, that is what will appear on the naturalization certificate -- no need to do a name change of any kind.

    The conclusion: volt, don't worry what the GC says. Put down the name you want ON YOUR NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE in Question A, Part 1 of N-400. Make sure you submit proof of it with your N-400 (i.e your birth cert) and bring that proof to interview. This way you don't need to do a name change.

    You can read my interview experience here BTW:

    Now, if your birth cert and GC names are different from what you want your name to be in the end, well that's a different story...

Share This Page