N600 dilemma.. Any advice would be appreciated!

Danh tran

So I sent out my n600 application in July of 2015. After reading through posts in this forum, I tried to applied for a US passport. The department of state asked for my green card as proof that I was here legally the time my parents became citizens. I sent it in, and my passport was approved and the department of state sent me back a letter saying they would keep my green card. My n600 is still "at my local office" as of right now... I read that I'm required to give USCIS my green card when/if I get approved. How is this going to work? Will I be able to bring in my US passport instead? I'm happy that I got my passport, but now I'm a little worried about my n600 application.. Hopefully someone's been through this and can give me some answers. Thanks in advance!

Hi Danh,

Could you please share your experience?

I think, you can mention that you have submitted it for getting passport. I am also in process of doing the same for my son.

What is your local office?

Seems you could show CIS the DoS letter stating that they are keeping the green card, though I think this is a new rule. Normally, they send it back.

@pcs_murali - I was planning to show them the letter that DoS sent me, but I was hoping that USCIS would have a record of this already since DoS sent the card to them! Anyhow, my local office is Santa Ana, California... They seem to quite backed up, last completion date was Nov, 2014 I believe.

@cafeconleche - Thanks for the reply, I planned to do that, I just hope USCIS don't give me a hard time because they are different agencies.. Oh well here's to waiting!

Oh, the letter says they will send the GC to DoS? Well, you never know, but since you've already filed the N600, maybe make an Infopass appointment (https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_lang.php?sel_lang=en) and talk to them about it (take the letter). Maybe they can find your card, and if not, they'll be fine with the letter. It's just a card, so I doubt that you'll have issues even if you didn't have this letter, and they never find it in their own files.

No, the letter is from DoS, stating that they are returning it to USCIS. Sorry, I was confusing you. I was going to do an info pass, but I heard sometimes you just get nothing because the agents don't know anything or just don't want to look.