N400 Interview - Older Passport misplaced

Ram Viswamitra

Hi
At the naturalization interview, I understand that our passports are to be produced for examination by the immigration officer. While I have my current passport (issued in December 2014), I seem to have misplaced my earlier passport. Would that be an issue. I do have details of my travel during the past five years (from my e-ticket as well as from my wife's passport, since we traveled together).

And if I state honestly that I have misplaced it, would the immigration officer accept the submission.

Advice would be appreciated.

Hi
At the naturalization interview, I understand that our passports are to be produced for examination by the immigration officer. While I have my current passport (issued in December 2014), I seem to have misplaced my earlier passport. Would that be an issue. I do have details of my travel during the past five years (from my e-ticket as well as from my wife's passport, since we traveled together).

And if I state honestly that I have misplaced it, would the immigration officer accept the submission.

Advice would be appreciated.

Many countries will issue affidavits if their citizens lose a passport, or if it is stolen. Also, not everyone keeps old documets, and often destroy them for confidentiality/security reasons.

Just be honest, and inform the officer of your situation. I've shred many old driver licences, and other items. The memories are nice but I hate to collect items of no practical use. I prefer to pull the Visa pages from old passports and place them in albums.