N-600

kellysssss

So i am 17 years old and i'm sure i'm a U.S. citizen through my father's citizenship. i do have a u.s. passport and i plan on going out of state for about a year but i do not have a citizenship certificate. should i fear that i might not be able to return to america? does my u.s. passport proofs that i am a u.s. citizen?

I had the same fear as you before.. In fact my fear was probably more than yours because I just recently applied and received my passport at the age of 33. My application for my certificate of citizenship is currently pending. The moment I received my US passport, I went on a vacation to my home country of Vietnam and came back with no problems at all! The only reason I dared to go was because of what people said on this forum. The people on this forum was a great help for me, so I'm trying to pay it forward. As long as you have a US passport, you are good to go! Have fun!

Umm... absolutely. That's what a US passport is for. You do not ever even need to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship if you don't want to (it's pretty expensive) -- a valid US passport will serve any purpose that a Certificate of Citizenship can. Many people in your situation do not ever apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.

But, if you can afford it, you should apply for a certificate of citizenship.

Also, make scans and copies of your passport. If you lose it, especially when abroad, this will help a lot.

By the way, are you going out of state WITHIN the US, or out of the states to another country? You don't need a passport WITHIN the US.