N 600 without original greencard ( with photocopy)

richiboy

Can one get certificate of citizenship for kids ( 15 year)without returning original green card to uscis after getting US passport for kids ( if DoS keeps green card while issuing passport)

Hi richiboy, I am in the same boat. I have received a letter from USCIS asking me visit the local office, submit my 12-year old daughter's GC and get her Certificate of Citizenship. However, I don't have her GC. It was kept by Dept of State when they issue her the US passport. How far has your child's case progressed?

Hi richiboy, I am in the same boat. I have received a letter from USCIS asking me visit the local office, submit my 12-year old daughter's GC and get her Certificate of Citizenship. However, I don't have her GC. It was kept by Dept of State when they issue her the US passport. How far has your child's case progressed?

Why would you need N 600 when your child already has US passport (which is a proof of citizenship too)? (keyword below = MAY BE REQUIRED)

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/n-600-application-certificate-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State. Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship?

No. You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship. The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form. A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State. However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal

Why would you need N 600 when your child already has US passport (which is a proof of citizenship too)? (keyword below = MAY BE REQUIRED)

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/n-600-application-certificate-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

I already have a U.S. passport issued by the Department of State. Am I required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship?

No. You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship. The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form. A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State. However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal

Those applying for Citizenship Certificates for their minor children are not doing so because they think the passport isn't enough as proof of citizenship. They're putting in place a back up plan for their kids - I would too if I had a minor deriving citizenship through me.

While some think applying for this is a waste of resource, some of us consider it a good investment. The kids will always have their own proof of citizenship and wouldn't need to rely on their parents certificate in situations where a citizenship certificate is required.

We've seen situations where adults who derived citizenship as minors through their parents, and for some reason no longer have valid passports or lost their passports a while back and needed to apply for a new one found themselves in a dilemma and were asking for guidance on what to do to solve their problem. They no longer had access to their parents citizenship certificate (for whatever reason). If they had their own citizenship certificate, this wouldn't been a major issue.

Those applying for Citizenship Certificates for their minor children are not doing so because they think the passport isn't enough as proof of citizenship. They're putting in place a back up plan for their kids - I would too if I had a minor deriving citizenship through me.

While some think applying for this is a waste of resource, some of us consider it a good investment. The kids will always have their own proof of citizenship and wouldn't need to rely on their parents certificate in situations where a citizenship certificate is required.

We've seen situations where adults who derived citizenship as minors through their parents, and for some reason no longer have valid passports or lost their passports a while back and needed to apply for a new one found themselves in a dilemma and were asking for guidance on what to do to solve their problem. They no longer had access to their parents citizenship certificate (for whatever reason). If they had their own citizenship certificate, this wouldn't been a major issue.

Fair enough. I understand that point of view. If my kids managed to get US passports, i would consider applying for N600 too (when it is financially feasible to apply for it). - Although i have doubts whether my kids would need one (or would be able to get one) considering my situation is a bit "odd".

Hello members .,

my kids got us citizenship through parents " Automatic U.S. Citizenship After Birth - But Before the Age of 18" when they were under 18 years .
They have US passport , but so far not applied for "Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship" though.

I heard no need apply N-600 to get Certificate of Citizenship , still US passport enough

Still they are legal citizens right?

Thanks in advance , for your experience sharing any ..

-usinsuser99

Hello members .,

my kids got us citizenship through parents " Automatic U.S. Citizenship After Birth - But Before the Age of 18" when they were under 18 years .
They have US passport , but so far not applied for "Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship" though.

I heard no need apply N-600 to get Certificate of Citizenship , still US passport enough

Still they are legal citizens right?

Thanks in advance , for your experience sharing any ..

-usinsuser99
They were US citizens automatically, without applying for anything. Only someone who's already a US citizen can apply for a US passport or Certificate of Citizenship.

They were US citizens automatically, without applying for anything. Only someone who's already a US citizen can apply for a US passport or Certificate of Citizenship.
Thank you much !

Just curios , we are US citizens (2011) , all have US passports including 2 kids (23years student , 18 student) .. today saw some news about illegal immigrants .. president passing the bill not understand though .. if chance can any body share me .. make sure we are all including kids save side right?

sincerely.,
usinsuser99