N-600 question - applying as an adult for yourself

sjaaky

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I derived citizenship through my naturalized parents, way back in 1991. I need a copy of my Certificate of Citizenship to apply for my Dutch passport (I am allowed to have dual because I became a US citizen while still a minor). I have had a US passport since 1998, so I know I don't need the CoC, but it is required by the Dutch to demonstrate when I derived citizenship.

My question...it seems most people on this forum who apply for N-600 do so on behalf of their minor children, and almost immediately after they (the parents) naturalize. Anyone here who has applied for the certificate as an adult, claiming derivation through you parents? If so, did your certificate arrive within the processing time stated for your DO?

My case is an easy one. I entered the US on a green card, which I still have, my parents were married and are still married, and they naturalized at the same time (in 1991, both parents had to naturalize for me to derive citizenship). I sent in a copy of my green card, my parents' Naturalization certificates, a copy of my passport, mine and my parents' marriage licenses. I have one year to opt for my Dutch citizenship, so I really need to get this CoC before June of 2017.

If you can share a timeline of your journey, I'd appreciate it!

Hi,

Sorry, I wasn't asking if I could apply as an adult, I know I can, which is why I did. I am just curious to hear, form others who did, if the processing time was any different than for people who apply on behalf of their children right after their own naturalization.