N-600 Help with Missing Evidence

hello_jason

Hello,

I have one surviving parent that was Naturalized in 1998, which was before my 18th birthday. Since the law at this time required both parents to be naturalized in order to derive citizenship to a child, I have the burden to prove that: 1. My surviving parent was naturalized prior to my 18th birthday (check), 2. My deceased parent passed away prior to my 18th birthday (check), 3. My parents were married (here's where I need help).

My parents were married, but I can't get my hands on the Certificate of Marriage or any official documentation. Is there any thing else I can provide as proof?

In your case, with one parent dying before you turned 18, and one living parent who naturalized before you turned 18, the marriage certificate becomes largely irrelevant ... except for the purpose of proving paternity.

Is your mother the surviving parent? If yes, you shouldn't need the marriage certificate; what you'll need is your father's death certificate.

If your father is the surviving parent, then you will need the marriage certificate or other evidence to establish paternity.

Do you have evidence of living with the surviving parent at some point between your parent's death and your 18th birthday?

Were you still under 18 on Feb. 27, 2001?

Hello,

I have one surviving parent that was Naturalized in 1998, which was before my 18th birthday. Since the law at this time required both parents to be naturalized in order to derive citizenship to a child, I have the burden to prove that: 1. My surviving parent was naturalized prior to my 18th birthday (check), 2. My deceased parent passed away prior to my 18th birthday (check), 3. My parents were married (here's where I need help).

My parents were married, but I can't get my hands on the Certificate of Marriage or any official documentation. Is there any thing else I can provide as proof?

IF your family immigrated together, then the evidence is most likely already inside the A-files. Ask USCIS to check mom and dad's files (and potentially any of your siblings' files) in addition to your own to obtain that documentation. You just need to show that you resided with your naturalized parent during the pertinent period of time (probably school records and tax returns) and a death certificate.

Thanks for your responses.

Jack,
I was not under 18 on Feb 27, 2001. My surviving parent is my mother, and I do have my father's death certificate. I have a bunch of evidence, but can you advise on which most relevant/important?

Joe,
My family did not immigrate together. So, I need: school records and tax returns.

Would I need to mail all of this with the N-600 application, or should I wait until the interview?

Thanks for your responses.

Jack,
I was not under 18 on Feb 27, 2001. My surviving parent is my mother, and I do have my father's death certificate. I have a bunch of evidence, but can you advise on which most relevant/important?
You'll also need your mother's naturalization certificate and your birth certificate.

If your parents had a marriage certificate before but it got lost, your mother might be able to get a re-issued one from the country, state, or city where the marriage was registered (depending on whether the place has the records, of course). Ask her to obtain it, so you'll have it just in case.

Would I need to mail all of this with the N-600 application, or should I wait until the interview?
Send it all (photocopies) with the application, bring originals to the interview.

Jason,

Can you provide a timeline of events please.

How did mom immigrate? And you? And was dad an LPR? Did dad pass away before or after mom naturalized? Still, the documents might be in the A-files already. Are there any other weird issues, like an adoption?

My mother and I were refugees and were sponsored by a family member. We immigrated to the U.S. in the early 90's. My dad stayed in our home country until his death in '96. In '98, my mother was naturalized. (Don't know what LPR means)

Finding a record of the marriage is probably doable but that's a last resort because it requires my mom's physical presence in our home country...which is a lot to ask of her.

Do any of you know if this (school records and tax returns in place of parents' marriage certificate) is sufficient evidence to obtain a Passport?

My mother and I were refugees and were sponsored by a family member. We immigrated to the U.S. in the early 90's. My dad stayed in our home country until his death in '96. In '98, my mother was naturalized. (Don't know what LPR means)

Finding a record of the marriage is probably doable but that's a last resort because it requires my mom's physical presence in our home country...which is a lot to ask of her.

Do any of you know if this (school records and tax returns in place of parents' marriage certificate) is sufficient evidence to obtain a Passport?

ALL the required evidence is in your and your mom's A-files. ALL the required documentation is in the refugee processing paperwork. Under INA 321(a)(2) mom was a sole surviving parent. Marriage certificate is totally irrelevant, dad's death certificate is needed along with mom's natz cert (copy in her A-file), and your birth record (in your refugee paperwork in your A-file).

LPR = Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder).

That's great to know.

I was denied for the N-400 because they said I was already a citizen, and was denied the U.S. Passport because I couldn't provide the marriage certificate. 3rd time's a charm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was denied for the N-400 because they said I was already a citizen, and was denied the U.S. Passport because I couldn't provide the marriage certificate. 3rd time's a charm.

The Department of State, which issues US passports, doesn't have full and easy access to USCIS records, so in a situation like yours it's more difficult to obtain the passport before the N-600. Once your N-600 is approved, the citizenship certificate will make it easy to obtain the US passport.