N-600 and translated documents

evguenir

I need to apply for both N-600 and US passport for my daughter by the end of this week (she is turning 18), and I have only one certified translation of my daughter's BC.

I know I can send copies of the original document. Is it ok to send copies of certified translations along with the copies of the documents or I need to send original certified translations? Thanks.

I'd send a copy of the certificate and a copy of the translation. The worst that can happen is that they ask to see the originals.

You don't need to apply before your daughter is 18. It is only important that one of her parents became a US Citizen (and that all the other requirements were met) before she turned 18. At the bottom of the first page, there's a very complicated set of questions that lets you describe her situation.

Of course, the price is probably going up if you apply after Saturday, so you probably want to mail it right away anyway.

Good luck

Thanks a lot. That's what I was going to do, but just wanted to double check. I will apply for N-600 anyway (yes, you are right, the price is going up), but how about the passport? After she turns 18 she has to apply by herself, hasn't she? Doesn't she need her own COC to do that? I am afraid it may take a year to get it.

Getting a passport is easy. Go to the http://travel.state.gov site, fill in the form, print it, get some pictures, and go to a post office. The instructions are very clear about what needs to be included for a person who got their citizenship as a minor through the naturalization of a parent.

One note, they came back and asked us for our marriage certificate (perhaps because my wife and I have differering family names). So you might want to include it with application as well.

We got my daughter's passport a year ago (it only took a couple of weeks - we paid the "expedited" fee) and then we sent in the N-600. However, since you only need copies with the N-600 (the passport requires originals), you can do the two in parallel.

Good luck

Flydog,

I am sorry...I was out of country for over a month. Is there any updates on your daughter's N-600.

We had applied for my daughter's N-600 in March. She will be turning 18 by August. One more problem with our case, is that my daughter has left abroad for her studies. She did live here and study here for five years after the GC.

We are just worried as to what happens if she is called for an interview, as she is not in country right now.

I am guessing your daughter has already received her certificate of citizenship.

NSS

Hi :
could you please tell me if they asked yuo for your kids original green card before issuing CoC? If someone doesnt have kids original GC because DoS kept it while issuing US Passport, would uscis issue CoC?