N-600, absent from the US and physical presence in the US???

bluesnickers

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I have a few questions regarding N-600.
It might seem obvious for some but I can use some help as
I do not understand some of questions clearly.

Situation:
My mother became US citizen a couple weeks ago though naturalization.
I have a sister, 14 and filling out N-600 for her. She has been living in the US
with parents ever since she came to US. (Our whole family came to the US in 2001.)
She has had permanent resident card for good 8 years now.

Question:
Part 2, question 24.
Have you been absent from the US since you first arrived?
(complete the following info inly if you are claiming US citizenship at the time of birth if you were born
before October 10, 1952)

At first, I thought it was asking if my sister ever traveled out of US but since my sister is clearly not
born before October 10, 1952, should I leave it blank?

Question:
Part 5.
Physical presence in the US from birth until filing N-600 (only applicants born outside the US claiming to
have been born US citizens are required to provide all the dates when your US citizen biological father or
mother resided in the US.

Not sure if this question applies to my sister's situation. It sounds like this question applies to those who
were outside of US when a parent became citizen, then you need to provide physical presence in the US.
Like I said, my sister was here when my mother was naturalized. Only problem is my mother ans sister visited
Korea every summer for last 6-7 years.(duration of 1-1.5 months, about 45 days each visit.) and I don't see
any question asking travel history.

Anybody who already filled out and filed 600 please help me out. Thanks in advance!

Neither question is applicable to her, as she's not claiming citizenship since birth. Also, those questions are asking about the parent's presence and absence in the US, not the child who is claiming citizenship.

Your sister is only 14, so your USC mother should be filling out and signing the N-600, not you or your sister.

Ask your mother apply for your sister's US passport first, as it is quicker and cheaper than the N-600 which takes 2-6 months (passport is generally less than 2 months). Remember to provide additional evidence such as legal custody if your mother is not married to and living with your sister's father.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jackolantern.
Just so no one gets confused when filling out N-600, I'm pretty sure
part 2 question 24 is asking applicant's absence from the US.

And yes, my mother is filling the app out and as some of questions seem ambiguous,
I'm just helping her out.

And we did apply for the US passport first but little concerned as
some of the documents they require don't apply to us.
There is no such thing as "marriage certificate" where I'm from.
Only birth certificate my sister had is not in English. (YES, I should have translated and sent it to them.)
So we just sent copy of mother's citizenship certificate, green card, copies of parents ID, notarized family
census which pretty much includes all the information regarding marriage and birth certificate.

I'll update it here how passport processes.

Thanks Jackolantern.
Yes, after taking a closer look it does seem that they're asking about the child and not the USC parent, which is really odd because the child's US presence or absence is irrelevant to eligibility for acquiring citizenship at birth through a parent, whereas the parent's presence (before the birth) is important. But maybe under the really old laws the child's presence was important (given the restriction of being born before October 10, 1952).

Anyway, that question isn't applicable to her so it doesn't matter.

Is your mother still married to your sister's father? If not, they will expect legal custody papers (if she divorced or was never married to the father) or a death certificate (if the father is deceased).

They will also expect proof of physical custody (i.e. evidence of your sister living with your mother at the time of or after naturalization), such as school records.
Only birth certificate my sister had is not in English. (YES, I should have translated and sent it to them.)
They will ask for a certified translation before issuing the passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
N-600 or N-600K

The fact is that my children aged 12 and 14 years obtained their U.S. passport through the act of 2000, obtained permanent residence through his mother who obtained citizenship through his father who was an American citizen. The fact is that his mother was born in Venezuela did not live in the U.S. long enough to demonstrate physical presence.

We currently live in Venezuela and to renew U.S. passports of children the American Embassy requires citizenship certificates.

Questions:
What is the way to go to obtain certificates of citizenship, which is filling N-600 or N-600K.
The form N-600 K ignores that already have U.S. passports.
I appreciate any information you can give me about it.
Thank you

Thanks Jackolantern.

And yes, my mother is filling the app out and as some of questions seem ambiguous,
I'm just helping her out.

So we just sent copy of mother's citizenship certificate, green card, copies of parents ID, notarized family
census which pretty much includes all the information regarding marriage and birth certificate.

I'll update it here how passport processes.

Hello,
I have exact questions just like bluesnickers. my daughter went out of the country for 6 weeks for a couple times. is that an "absent" ?
so what should we answer for N600 questions #24. should we leave it blank?

Hello, I have a few questions regarding N-600.
It might seem obvious for some but I can use some help as
I do not understand some of questions clearly.

Situation:
My mother became US citizen a couple weeks ago though naturalization.
I have a sister, 14 and filling out N-600 for her. She has been living in the US
with parents ever since she came to US. (Our whole family came to the US in 2001.)
She has had permanent resident card for good 8 years now.

Question:
Part 2, question 24.
Have you been absent from the US since you first arrived?
(complete the following info inly if you are claiming US citizenship at the time of birth if you were born
before October 10, 1952)

At first, I thought it was asking if my sister ever traveled out of US but since my sister is clearly not
born before October 10, 1952, should I leave it blank?

Question:
Part 5.
Physical presence in the US from birth until filing N-600 (only applicants born outside the US claiming to
have been born US citizens are required to provide all the dates when your US citizen biological father or
mother resided in the US.

Not sure if this question applies to my sister's situation. It sounds like this question applies to those who
were outside of US when a parent became citizen, then you need to provide physical presence in the US.
Like I said, my sister was here when my mother was naturalized. Only problem is my mother ans sister visited
Korea every summer for last 6-7 years.(duration of 1-1.5 months, about 45 days each visit.) and I don't see
any question asking travel history.

Anybody who already filled out and filed 600 please help me out. Thanks in advance!
Neither question is applicable to her, as she's not claiming citizenship since birth. Also, those questions are asking about the parent's presence and absence in the US, not the child who is claiming citizenship.

Your sister is only 14, so your USC mother should be filling out and signing the N-600, not you or your sister.

Ask your mother apply for your sister's US passport first, as it is quicker and cheaper than the N-600 which takes 2-6 months (passport is generally less than 2 months). Remember to provide additional evidence such as legal custody if your mother is not married to and living with your sister's father.

Hello,
I have exact questions just like bluesnickers. my daughter went out of the country for 6 weeks for a couple times. is that an "absent" ?
so what should we answer for N600 questions #24. should we leave it blank?
So like bluesnickers, your child was a permanent resident and a parent naturalized while she was under 18? You definitely don't have to fill out the table, because the form says you don't. (Just put N/A or something) For the yes/no question, I guess you can answer honestly; the answer is not really relevant anyway.

So like bluesnickers, your child was a permanent resident and a parent naturalized while she was under 18? You definitely don't have to fill out the table, because the form says you don't. (Just put N/A or something) For the yes/no question, I guess you can answer honestly; the answer is not really relevant anyway.
Thank you newacct.
I understand that I dont have to fill out the table because it doesnt apply to our situation. So I should answer "Yes"? I am not sure if that's what they meant by "absent". Per your quote: " I guess you can answer honestly", I dont intend not to be honest. I want to answer question #24 correctly, that's the main reason I posted this question. If there is a space to write N/A, I would do that. but the option is either to answer "yes" or "no". hmm so frustrated.

What is the definition of "absent" in the form N600 question #24?

Hi Sylvia Kwan,

My son visited our home country with us briefly < 1 month couple of times to visit our family members.

Do i have answer Q#24 "Yes" or leave blank?

Please kindly help me in this.

In my case, i became naturalized citizen and wife is Green card. Do we need an affidavit submit from my wife with the application that no problem to apply for certificate of citizenship?

Please kindly share your kind experience.