N 470 and 5 year continuous residency requirement

rsh431

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone had any experience with filing N 470 to bypass
5 year continuous residency requirement?

The company I work for has an office abroad and might
require me to go there to establish some operation for an
year or two.

Do I have to be employed by the company in US (i.e. paychecks
issued from company's US office) for continous residency
or is it OK to be employed by the company's division abroad for
the continous residency condition to be met?

(This is besides the point, but note that I have already
finished 30 month requirement.)

Would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Hi

I am assigned to Phils and HK for two years I have filled N470 & got it approved. I was told by the compnay Immigration lawyer that the yeras I spend outside of US will be counted against my citizenship. I am hopeing, however when I am back I will reconfirm.

However you must be employed by US company or Paraent company and will have to file regular 1040. My pay check comes from US....

Hope this helps

NJ,

Does it matter where the paycheck comes from as long
as the company is US based and satisfies the N470 requirements?

How long does it take from applying for N470 and being
approved for it?

Thanks.

N-470, I-131

Folks,

I am also in the process of transferring outside of US to work for a company Based in US. I would like to apply for N-470 to keep the residency timeline for citizenship. What is the timeline for the approval.

Would applying for N-470 trigger any question on each entry and during application for citizenship ?

I would have already completed 3 1/2 years of residency when I transfer. I am hoping to stay abroad for 12-16 months and come back to US for Citizenship application.

Should I applying for Re-entry permit (I-131) just in case. One related questionis, if I apply for I-131, then do I automatically lose the timeline even if I dont use it for my entry ?

Also, another related question to both N-470 and I-131.

If I move abroad for a short period (12-16 months) to work for US based company, but come and visit US every 4 months or so, and stay for a couple of weeks at each visit, and come back after the 12-16 month window and stay here to apply for Citizenship. Would there be any issues with this scenario. In this case do I need to apply for N-470 or I-131 at all.

Thank you for your time and help,

Best Regards,
Nebulous

Re: N-470, I-131

Originally posted by nebulous

Should I applying for Re-entry permit (I-131) just in case. One related questionis, if I apply for I-131, then do I automatically lose the timeline even if I dont use it for my entry ?

Also, another related question to both N-470 and I-131.

If I move abroad for a short period (12-16 months) to work for US based company, but come and visit US every 4 months or so, and stay for a couple of weeks at each visit, and come back after the 12-16 month window and stay here to apply for Citizenship. Would there be any issues with this scenario. In this case do I need to apply for N-470 or I-131 at all.

Apply for N470. If you qualify you are lucky ....
I think you still have to apply for I131 even if u apply for N470. Also I131 approval is taking a long time so apply asap.

If you move and frequently visit the US (even if u dont visit frequently but have an approved N470) you will be perfectly fine.

If you leave the US for more than 6 months you break your continous residency.... If you come back often (within 6 months)
you need not apply I131 and N470.

Having said that, If you qualify for N470 apply by all means