1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The forums have been moved to a new software. All data till march 30 has been moved over. You can start using them. You should be able to login with the same user IDs and passwords as on the old forums. The old forums will be available as ''read only" under forumarchive.immigration.com.
  3. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394. Next call is on June 19, 2014.

N-400 question for exception 65/20

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by celia11, Dec 13, 2010.

  1. celia11

    celia11 New Member

    hi, my dad is 65 years old and he has been legal resident for over twenty years, not sure where to put in the application that he applies for 65/20 rule so INS can give the test in spanish to him, kindly advise, thank you.
  2. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    They know he qualifies. The exception is calculated as of the FILING DATE so DO NOT file too early even by one day. He wants both the English exception AND the easier civics test.

    FROM: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=ffe2a3ac86aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

    English Language Exemptions

    You Are Exempt From The English Language Requirement, But Are Still Required To Take The Civics Test If You Are:

    Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years (commonly referred to as the “50/20” exception).
    Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years (commonly referred to as the “55/15” exception).

    Note: Even if you qualify for the “50/20” or “55/15” English language exceptions listed above, you must still take the civics test. You may be permitted to take the civics test in your native language, but only if your command of spoken English is insufficient to conduct a valid examination in English. If you are age 65 or older and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years at the time of filing for naturalization, you will be given special consideration regarding the civics requirement.

Share This Page