N 400 process taking too long

It's been just over an year since I mailed my N-400 application and I went in for my 3rd Infopass appointment today to request an interview notice. I'd also written to my local Congress woman's office a few weeks back and her office received a reply from USCIS saying mine was one of those rare cases that warranted an extended name check and I needed to wait. I already had an idea that I would not be provided with any new information at today's appointment but still went so that my case did not fall way side completely.

While there I was told I could submit a Freedom of Information Act application to find out about my case. Does anyone know if submitting a FOIA request would help in any way? I had missed out one short entry/exit to Canada from my original N-400 application, was wondering if I should send an amendment to my application along with the FOIA request. Thanks for any advice.

Prepare to file WOM. When they give name check as the reason for your extended delay before the interview, that probably means your case will be stuck for years unless you file WOM or at least notify USCIS of your intention to file WOM.

Thanks Jackolantern. I had not contacted the Ombudsman's office, just submitted form DHS-7001 with my case details to the Ombudsman's office. I will now look into what I need to file a WOM or the intention to file a WOM.

Is there any benefit in submitting the FOIA/PA request or should I just concentrate on the WOM?

What options do I have with my N-400 case? Next week will be a year since I submitted applications for both my wife and myself and we have not heard anything so far. I have already been to 2 Infopass appointments, made several phone calls and have a third Infopass scheduled 10 days from now. I have also written to local congressmen etc.

I was looking at the thread on filing a lawsuit but that seems to be for folks who have already had their interview and have not received a decision as yet. Are there other folks out there who have had to wait for an interview call past one year? Thanks for any suggestions.

If you have been waiting for more than a year for an interview, then you are one of the unlucky people who got stuck in the background check. Your lawyer can file WOM.

If your GC application took so long in the past, then your N-400 will take long time too unless you choose to file WOM and and then your lawyer will deal with the US attorney

Thanks Algorithm. I was waiting for a reply from the Ombudsman's office to whom I'd written recently. I got what was expected, a standard reply that they will keep an eye on USCIS regarding my case but at the moment there is nothing they can do - and if I hear something back from USCIS before them, I should let them know so they can update their records :rolleyes:.

I'll start preparing to file an intent to submit a WOM. I do not have a lawyer, filed the N400 myself. Not sure if I should go through a lawyer or whether this is something I can do by myself.

I live in Woodland Hills ( Los Angeles CA) and filed for my N400 after 8 years of getting my Green card on Dec 21st 2014. I saw that USCIS cashed both the checks for me and my wife. What is the process after this. I need to go out of the US to India for 6 weeks in mid Feb to end March. Is there any process to

a) Track the time for getting finger printing?
b) Can I leave for 6 weeks in mid Feb?

Ketan

Thanks Algorithm. I was waiting for a reply from the Ombudsman's office to whom I'd written recently. I got what was expected, a standard reply that they will keep an eye on USCIS regarding my case but at the moment there is nothing they can do - and if I hear something back from USCIS before them, I should let them know so they can update their records :rolleyes:.

I'll start preparing to file an intent to submit a WOM. I do not have a lawyer, filed the N400 myself. Not sure if I should go through a lawyer or whether this is something I can do by myself.

Do you have any update regarding your case? Are you still stuck in the background check process?

I have not heard anything so far. I went in for my 4th InfoPass appointment about 3 weeks back and was told the same thing: " not sure why it is taking so long but hang in there and you should hear something shortly".

I have not heard anything so far. I went in for my 4th InfoPass appointment about 3 weeks back and was told the same thing: " not sure why it is taking so long but hang in there and you should hear something shortly".

Make sure you keep a record of all your appointments and communications with infopass and inquiries responses. Also ask your congressman to intervene and start looking for a lawyer who has a good history of WOM cases and licensed to appear in upper federal courts such as circuit court and supreme court.

Did you also wait that long before you got your green card? Do you remember?

If your green card took so long, then it is most likely your N400 will take long time too unless you decide to take USCIS to court

Dear jwdkhan: It looks like I am in the same boat as you are. I applied for N400 on October 1st, 2014 with my wife. She became citizen in a few months. My two interviews got canceled by USCIS for security check. I called USCIS and I was told that there is no time frame for security checks. It's been more than 8 months now. I am checking if there is any improvement on your application.

My partner applied for n400 in August 2014 at NYC field office, he had interview in January 2015 and since then nothing - when he contacted the customer service they told him to keep waiting...it has been over 120 days since the interview, not sure what to do now

I filed mine since November , 2014. So, it's been over a year and out of the processing time frame by now but I still haven't heard anything for the interview. They sent me a letter for the interview 2times and they cancelled it both times and I haven't heard anything since then. I called more than 5times and visited to the local field office but nothing's helped. I don't even know what else to do. Is there anyone else like my case and any suggestions for me? Thanks .

I filed mine since November , 2014. So, it's been over a year and out of the processing time frame by now but I still haven't heard anything for the interview. They sent me a letter for the interview 2times and they cancelled it both times and I haven't heard anything since then. I called more than 5times and visited to the local field office but nothing's helped. I don't even know what else to do. Is there anyone else like my case and any suggestions for me? Thanks .

I think it is time for you to ask a judge to intervene by taking USCIS to court. Hire a good lawyer to help you prepare WOM case (Write of Mandamus).

That is the only option for you unless you want to wait for decades letting your application collect dust at USCIS

I think it is time for you to ask a judge to intervene by taking USCIS to court. Hire a good lawyer to help you prepare WOM case (Write of Mandamus).

That is the only option for you unless you want to wait for decades letting your application collect dust at USCIS
Thanks @algorithm . I'm going to do that.

Do you have any updates on your case?

What happened to your case? Did you receive the approval?

Hi Algorithm. Yes, things started moving unexpectedly in July and our case was approved 3 weeks ago. Finally got our US passports last week.

Congratulations. I am happy for you.

Did you wait 2 years and 7 months? That is so long time to wait.