1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N-400 based on marriage( 3-year rule)

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by canibasi, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. canibasi

    canibasi Registered Users (C)

    Hey every body
    I think this thread will be helpfull for those appling based on marriage,3-year rule.I resently sent my application and trying to get my paper ready for the interview.I wish the good luck for everybody.

    2BUSCTZN Registered Users (C)

    There are plenty of thread like this in this forum. You want to make sure that you search forum first for any existing threads then join them. Good luck with you case!
  3. canibasi

    canibasi Registered Users (C)

    thank u for your comment
    I Searched before i start this thread.Please let me know any thread that is for N-400 application based on mariage with 3-year rule.As you know you can apply only 2 ways eighter 3 or 5 year rule.i think that will be helpfull for those going for interview based marriage.Thanks again.
  4. canibasi

    canibasi Registered Users (C)

    Anyway I have a few Questions about my situatuins.I got my green card through my us citizen wife and send n-400. I need to show Common live that we are living together filing tax jointly,apartment lease etc.we have mutual bank account,have health,dental,life insuruance,utility bills.however in 2005 We didint file tax jointly because my tax lady made a mistake and filed as single for me. By the time we find out it was already too late.the second issue is since my wife had very bad credit history due to that I rent the apartment under myname.So it shows only me as renter.Do you think above 2 issues will create any problem for me during the interview.
  5. Miriamtx

    Miriamtx Registered Users (C)

    Based on 3 years marriage, but...in my first year, me and my husband were not getting along, i file VAWA and got my green card, after 1 more year me and my husband decide to give another try and now i'm applying for citizenship with Texas Service Center.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  6. canibasi

    canibasi Registered Users (C)

    Thanks miriamtx.
    Can you explain what VAWA stands for.did you mean that you guys filed separately. Are you guys married now. Good luck on this process
    You think having apartment leas only under my name will create any problem
  7. Miriamtx

    Miriamtx Registered Users (C)

    VAWA means Violence Against Women Act
    My first year with my american husband was crazy. He refused to sign my immigration paperwork just so he could have absolute power over me. If I don't obey him on whatever he wanted at that time, he was threatening to call the police and ask them to deport me because my visa was already expired; he mentally and physically abused me. Once I was able to escape from the house after 1 year, I ended up in a shelter after he hit me, they ask for my passport and saw my expired visa, so they call the Political Asylum and they explain to me that I could file for my own immigration paperwork without my husbands signature as they have strong evidence of abuse. I was scare of everything, but decide to go on. After some time my husband found me, beg for forgiveness and ask for one more chance. By that time my paper was processing and I told him if he would touch me again he was going to suffer consequences with the government. Well, he indeed changed a lot, he asked me to cancel the VAWA process, but I told him no, because if he changes his mind again, I would be in the streets and definitely in big trouble. With VAWA, even if he want divorce me before the 3 years of marriage, I would not lose the rights of staying here.
    It took a long time for the paperwork to be approved, about a year, but as soon as it was approved, I had my green card quick.
    Me and my husband are still married, he respect me a lot now and I really feel so much appreciation for this country for protecting women even the ones who are not born here.
    Don't worrie about the lease only under your name, i just purchased a house 6 month ago, the house is only under my name, so the mortgage, i send the copy of my payment receipt and attached a letter explaining why, the most important is the IRS paper, you must file the taxes together, i really don't know what you should do in this case.
    Hope my case would help someone with similar problems.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  8. canibasi

    canibasi Registered Users (C)

    Thanks for detail explanation about yourself.I am happy for you that everything goes well for you know.when it comes to my tax thing last two year we filed jointly and made over hundred thousand dollar.only 05 tax was filed as single.well i will take what ever i have with me and explain to IO that it was tax lady problem that she filed wrong.I can not wait naymore to get over this proccess!!!
  9. ucheojo1

    ucheojo1 Registered Users (C)

    What you need is highlighted

    Heres what you need highlighted in red.
    Your Interview Letter will or may have additional documents to bring along. (PASSPORT, DRIVER LIC., GREEN CARD & Social Security Card)

    Take as much as you have they may need it or not....but its better to be safe than sorry.
    check it out below:

    Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

    All Applicants for Naturalization must send the following items with their N-400 application:
    A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card or "Green Card"). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card"; and
    Two identical color photographs, with your name and "A-number" written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo. For details about the photo requirements, see Part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-603 instructions. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. If your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; and
    A check or money order for the application fee and the biometric services fee (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from the biometrics services fee). Write your "A-number" on the back of the check or money order. The application fee is $595 and the biometrics services fee is $80. You may combine the fees into one check or money order. Make your check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security."
    Send copies of the following documents, unless we ask for an original.
    If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:
    A completed original Form G-28, "Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative"

    If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:
    The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

    If you are applying for naturalization based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following four items:
    Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:
    Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
    Naturalization Certificate, or
    Certificate of Citizenship, or
    The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or
    Form FS-240, "Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America," and
    Your current marriage certificate, and
    Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and
    Documents referring to you and your spouse:
    Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
    Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
    An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.
    If you were married before, send:
    Proof that all earlier marriages ended - divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s);
    If you were previously in the U.S. military service, send:
    A completed original Form G-325B, "Biographic Information."

    If you are currently in the U.S. military service and are seeking citizenship based on that service, send:
    A completed original Form N-426, "Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service;" and
    A completed original Form G-325B, "Biographic Information."
    If you have taken any trips outside the United States that lasted six months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
    An IRS tax return "transcript" or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last five years (or for the last three years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
    Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.
    If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
    Any court or government order to provide financial support; and
    Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:
    Cancelled checks,
    Money and receipts,
    A court or agency printout of child support payments,
    Evidence of wage garnishments,
    A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children.
    If you answer "Yes" to any of Questions 1 through 14 of Part 10 of form N-400, send:
    A written explanation on a separate sheet of paper.

    If you answer "No" to any of Questions 34 through 39 of Part 10 of form N-400, send:
    A written explanation on a separate sheet of paper.

    If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send:
    An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

    If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send:
    An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order).

    If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send:
    An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and
    Evidence that you completed your sentence:
    An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or
    Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.
    If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send:
    An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or

    NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider.

    If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Permanent Resident, send:
    All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file.

    If you have any federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send:
    A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and
    Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.
    NOTE: You may obtain copies of tax documents and tax information by contacting your local IRS offices, using the Blue Pages of your telephone directory, or through its website at www.iris.gov.

    If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send:
    An original Form N-648, "Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions," completed less than six months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

    If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:
    A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-8888) for more information.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  10. canibasi

    canibasi Registered Users (C)

    hey ucheojo1
    thanks a lot for your detail info
  11. oregon

    oregon Registered Users (C)

    Hi i am going to apply for marriage based N-400,
    i have joint bank statement, rental lease, joint tax transcripts, and utilitty bills, to take with me, you just mentioned the guy was not approved because he did not have enough evidence.
    What do you think what doc should i take with me for interview if i get a interview.

Share This Page