My wife is older than me

justozzy

Hi every body,
Please do not judge me or make fun of me. If you cant or don't want to answer my question, just ignore it.
I came to the US in 2002 and went to nursing school for 2 years. After my mother lost her job everything got screwed up for me. I had to quit school and work here and there for about 6 monthes.
Now I have established my own business, got my business and tax lisences. Everything going well and I have a couple people working for me.
I met a woman who is 25 years older than me and we want to get married. Dont get me wrong the marriage is Bona Fide 100% and we live together too.
I used to have girlfriends my age but things just did not work out for different reasons.
Here are my questions:
Will the significant age gap between us be a problem while applying for AOS?
Is there anybody who had same experiense?
Should I apply for AOS at all or just leave things how they are?

Yes, there was a person with your same issues and everything went well, you can make a search I can't remember the nickname of the person.

My personal opinion...don't get too worry because the age...the age is a stage of mind.

For USCIS can be an issue BUT and only but if there are other type of things that can cause an alarm. But I think that depends what ages are involve and what are the conditions of the entire marriage.

GL,

USCIS officers are expected to follow Law and Regulations. They are not expected to make their own judgements on a certain case. If your marriage is in good standing, there is no reason why there should be any problem, unless USCIS is able to prove otherwise.

I'm not judging you, but to tell you the truth, if I were an immigration officer then you would look suspicious to my eyes.
You will need strong proof of bona-fide marriage. You need to prove that it is in bona-fide and not the other way around.
If your marriage is in bona-fide, then I wish you good luck.

Thanks for answering and not judging me.
While applying for AOS should I tell them that I have my own business?
I just don't get it, I am allowed to have my own business, I got my lisenses without any problems, but yet I am considered illegal.
I am afraid that if I tell them that I have had my business for about 2 years now they will consider it illegal???
I am so confused, what should I do?

I think the fact that you're illegal and the 25 year discrepancy may raise some flags. The age on its own may not, but put yourself in the shoes of the USCIS officer...illegal marries woman 25 years older...wouldn't you look into it a little?

justozzy, having your own business with all legal licenses, tax identification and whatnot while being illegally residing in the US is not new to USCIS and its officers. They are willing to hear your case and the circumstances that made you illegal after you came to the US legally in the beginning. Well, that's what I'm assuming.

When it comes to the age difference, I can tell you straight forward that, like others already pointed out, it might raise some red flags. That might be true for some officers while others probably don't see anything wrong with it. Besides following the laws and the rules they are entitled to listen to their gut feelings.
All I'm saying is, don't be surprised when you guys face some nasty questions.

Food for thought.....this conversation would never have taken place if it was an older man and a younger woman ;) I think that you should follow your heart , but you need to document and be able to STRONGLY support evidence about your marriage being bona fide. As said before, an illegal marrying a 25 year older woman is bound to raise eyebrows......but if your heart is in the right place you will have no problem showing the INS officer that it is the "real deal". I would contact a n immigration lawyer to get some advice about the specifics though!
Good Luck

What has age (once both parties are over 18 yrs) got to do with marriage, under which law is age going to come up. Which law is USCIS going to use to deny you change of status. Does the government have the right to tell two adults whom to get married to?

justnew said:
What has age (once both parties are over 18 yrs) got to do with marriage, under which law is age going to come up. Which law is USCIS going to use to deny you change of status. Does the government have the right to tell two adults whom to get married to?

There's no law. But I think that the officeris gonna ask many questions and they'll have to have strong proof.

There is no law about it BUT it's one of the things that can come out as a question mark saying that depends in the ENTIRE scope of the case. Let's say that if the person is a guy/girl in their 20's and marry a person of 50, the immigrant has been illegal in the US for about 5 years, they just decide to get marry after a month of knowing each other and they has nothing in common of how they met and they barely can communicate with each other...bla bla bla...the issue here is not the age difference as the only factor (which is not) is the entire scope: does not look good. So that depends in the entire issue, is like you do not choose a type of sandwich because it is a sandwich but it is because what is in it...the different ingredients make your final choice.

Last edited by a moderator: