My timeline for obtaining J1waiver.

usme1978

Registered Users (C)
My timeline for obtaining a waiver:

The most important thing in applying for a waiver is to apply at right time. Even if you dont have a sponsor for H1B, apply for a waiver. It will allow you to convert to a new visa such as a clinical J1 while remaining in US. So start as soon as you settle down in your new program.

I started very late.

Step 1: Attestation of forms from the consulate. March 2008

If you feel that you are very much short of time then I would advise you to go personally to the consulate and get the forms attested and pay the requisite fees. This will save at least 2-3 weeks. I personally did this and was able to get the attestation on the same day.

List of documents required:

4 copies of the form

passport and photocopies of all the important pages on the passport

60USD cash or cashier's cheque

Step 2:Sending the documents to India

Sent all documents to India to my parents in second week of March2008

As I am a medico , I was told to send the documents as follows:

1) deputy secretary (International co-operation)

Ministry of health and family welfare

Nirman Bhavan,

New Delhi 11011

Here through one of my friend I got the list of documents required to be sent. Also got the telephone number of the person who takes care of these things at clerical level.

1. The attested form
2. A cover letter stating that i am not involved in any clinical training or clinical research.
3. Letter from my employer stating that I am not involved in clinical training or clinical research
4. Passport and visa copy
5. My cv
6. List of publications
7. Reprints of my publications
8. my educational certificates
9. My curriculum in last 20 years.

The person in charge was Mr Bhatt 00911123061945. However these people are not very co-operative and will not give any information. I tried a lot.

2) regional passport officer,

Passport office,

Wagale industrial estate,

Thane.

Shri S.R.Mestry Passport Officer,

Vardhan Building, MIDC
Wagle Estate
Thane
022-25837803/
25829855/ 25832818
022-25829434
rpo.thane@mea.gov.in

My father personally went there and was able to get the work done in three visits. This office was the best office of all.

Work completed on 10th April 2008

3) Home department

Government of Maharashtra,

Mumbai

Shri. K. Subramanyam
(Special)Home Department
Principal Secretary
Ext 3473
PA Ext: 3798
Email : sec_homesp@maharashtra.gov.in
Email 2: KSubramanyam@maharashtra.gov.in

These people were little trouble some. They have a procedure by which they send a letter to the commissioner of my home town. The commissioner then sent a letter to the police station in my area. They asked my dad to get an affidavit done mentioning that they dont have any obligation in me staying in US and I dont have any loans on my name. Absolutely ridiculous procedure but took almost 2 weeks to complete. Then when all the related papers reached the home department, it took one week for the secretary to sign. Work completed on 21 April 2008.

My father sent me the fax of both the letters.

In addition to these fax , I had one letter from Ministry of health and family welfare new Delhi mentioning that they don't take any objection on medicos seeking further training in US.

Now I decided to hire a lawyer so that I dont make any mistakes which will lead to loss of precious time.

Started inquiry about the law firms. Got quotes from 1000 to 10000 USD for the work. My friend suggested one lawyer whom he had also hired for the same work. I talked to her and she said that I already have all the information and can go ahead and do the work by myself. But on my request she agreed to represent me and charged me a flat fee of 450. So if your case is not complex, the work involved in the process is not more than what she has charged me and she was truthful to me about that. I also realized the same during the whole process. So one should hire a lawyer only when there are complications in the case or like me having very short time for the procedure.

After online submission of the forms and statement of reason I took the third party barcode page with the three letters to the Chicago consulate. They refused to issue the waiver certificate unless I get the letter from Ministry of health and family welfare New Delhi.

Then there was no other option and getting the letter from them and that to in short time was necessary. Fortunately from one of my friend who was also doing the same procedure, I got contact number of a person who works with ministry. I contacted him and asked him to get my work done in time. He asked for a huge amount but after some bargaining, I was able to set up the procedure with him.

Finally on 12 th May 2008 I got the letter from Ministry of health and family welfare ( after almost 2 and half months) He sent it to me by fax.

Then on 14 th May I submitted the letters with a miscellaneous services form and passport copies and of course 20 USD to the consulate and got the final waiver letter. The officer told me that they will fax the letter to the Embassy in DC.

At this stage all our work is over and we can only wait to see what happens.

My application was received by DOS on 29 th April 7 days after it was sent to it and the online update was seen.

On 5 th June the officer at DOS told me that they have received the No objection statement from Indian embassy on 4th. Online update on 5th-NOC received on 4th June. To follow up with DOS call them on 2026631225 and press120.Then you will be able to speak to an officer.

On 11 June in the morning I was surprised to see that the DOS has sent the favorable recommendation on 9 th June to me and USCIS. USCIS received it on 11 th June and I got the letter on 16th.

At this stage the work of DOS gets over and now the USCIS comes into picture. It is difficult to track the things at the USCIS without the receipt number. I tried to call USCIS to get the number. After trying 10 times the officers will transfer you to a second level officer who told me the receipt number. Remember to tell them to look into the database of I 612 forms. The officer told me that the DS3035 gets converted into I612 when it reaches USCIS. I got receipt number on 25th June. Though the favorable recommendation is addressed to Nebraska service center the processing of the case takes place at Vermont service center.

I started following the receipt number and created an account for the email updates. For following up with USCIS call on 18003755283 and then press 1226221. Tell them that you haven't received the receipt and the favorable recommendation was sent by DOS to USCIS 2 months back. Half the officers dont have idea about this procedure.

On 30 th June I received an update that my approval letter has been mailed on 28 th. The last update date column showed the date to be 07/01/2008 which means that this is the date on which they printed the letter and sent it to the mail section of the USCIS vermont service center. After this there was long wait. I got the approval letter on 10th of July 2008 and the letter was stamped on 7th of July. Which means that the USCIS usually mails the letters on next working Monday after the last update date. So now I am no longer subject to the 2 year home residency requirement rule.

I thank all the forumites who had been helpful in posting important information on the forum. I will be more than happy to help anyone who needs guidance in this process.

Do you know anyone in the State Department Maharashtra as I am also in same boat and waiting for my clearance for NORI forms from India

Hi Do you know how long does it take to get the papers from Thane passport office. I have got other two NORI certificate but still waiting for Passport office clearance. And i have very short time left as i have to show my J1 waiver cert. to USCIS in order to get my H1B approved.

I have heard that some times the passport office send the papers directly.

Pls guide as i have only one moths left. Or should i hire a lawyer now for the waiver.....

no need for a lawyer if your case is simple. Passport office work does not take much time. It can be done in just 4-5 days. They send one copy to your US address and one to your local consulate. that is the best office to work with. Ask someone to inquire personally.

Hi.
I need to apply for J-1 waiver. I have a couple of questions about getting the no objection letters from India. Based on reading info at Indian Consulate website, several blogs online and this forum it appears that I need three of them.
1. Home Ministry, New Delhi or Central Govt
2. State Govt
3. Passport Office

I am orginially from Bihar and did my 10th and 12th from Jamshedpur (now in the state of Jharkhand). I did my BSc from Banaras Hindu Univ in UP. I have done my Masters and PhD from IISc, Bangalore. I have a voter card issued from Bangalore and my Passport is also issued from Bangalore. My parents are in Bangalore now. My local address on passport is of Bangalore and permanent address from Bihar.
My question is, could I have Karnataka as my home state .
Or do I have to send my form to Bihar Secretariat.
If anybody has been in this situation and has obtained a waiver, please let me know how it worked. Any information in this matter would be helpful.
Thanks very much.
Varsha

J1- visa waiver questions

I am on J1 visa working as high school teacher. I am applying for J1-visa waiver. I already got the attested documents back from the indian consulate. I have few questions regarding the process. I ll really appreciate if you can answer those?

1. Can you send me a sample statement of reason which need to be send to DOS with the waiver application? What should be written in this statement?

2. Since you have hired an attorney, can you tell me the contact information for your attorney as I am also interested to have attorney for my case?

3. The DOS waiver application ask for the funding amount, since I am not sponsored by any agency neither funded by USA/INDIA govt. I work on salery basis with the high school? What should I put in this field?

4. What is write in the "purpose of the form"?

I ll really appreciate if you can please guide me.

Best Regards,

lj2008.

No one can be so sure abt hiring a lawyer. every case is different and some are very simple and some too complex to be handled by a regular person. So if u think u cant handle ur J1 waiver case, dont try it, hire a lawyer. Though I did my J1 waiver completely by myself but at some points I felt that I shuld have hired a lawyer.

DJ

Dheeraj212,

can you provide me a sample statement of reason which need to be send to DOS with the waiver application? What should be written in this statement?

The DOS waiver application ask for the funding amount, since I am not sponsored by any agency neither funded by USA/INDIA govt. I work on salery basis with the high school? What should I put in this field?

What is write in the "purpose of the form"?

thanks

lj

Dheeraj212,

can you provide me a sample statement of reason which need to be send to DOS with the waiver application? What should be written in this statement?

The DOS waiver application ask for the funding amount, since I am not sponsored by any agency neither funded by USA/INDIA govt. I work on salery basis with the high school? What should I put in this field?

What is write in the "purpose of the form"?

thanks

lj

In my statement of reason, in first paragraph I mentioned abt myself like my name and what am I doing right now. And then in 2nd para I did mention clearly that I have not been sponsored by any govt/private agency in US or in India and have been issued a NOC from Indian State Govt, so I think no one shud hav any prob in me stayin in US and that wud prove the original intent of my J1 program i e succeeding in training program.

I am not sure abt purpose, cant remember. funding amt is mentioned on Ds 2019

D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ji-waiver: Maharashtra home dept address plz

Dear users,

I would really appreciate if someone can tell me the address for the (Special) Home Department
Principal Secretary
Maharashtra.

I know 'useme1978' provided an address. But if I can get postal code and if applicable, street name, that will be awesome.

I can't get this info on their web. I emailed the assistant to the principal secretary for the address but did not get any response. It has been 3 weeks now.

Also the secretary has probably been replaced with a new person. This is probably why I did not get any response yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

-Raj

Thanks so much.

I called them but realized it was Diwali and the offices were closed.

So I did a bit more of googling and realized that most of the offices were in Mantralaya, Mumbai 400032. Does that sound about right?

Anywho, the packages are on their way to an exciting journey of their life.

NORI: initial passport issued at UP, permamant residence at karnataka

Hello Varsa,
did you find the solution to karntaka/jarkand problem? Please let me know, as i am also in the same situation (Karnataka/UP)... Thanks

Hi.
I need to apply for J-1 waiver. I have a couple of questions about getting the no objection letters from India. Based on reading info at Indian Consulate website, several blogs online and this forum it appears that I need three of them.
1. Home Ministry, New Delhi or Central Govt
2. State Govt
3. Passport Office

I am orginially from Bihar and did my 10th and 12th from Jamshedpur (now in the state of Jharkhand). I did my BSc from Banaras Hindu Univ in UP. I have done my Masters and PhD from IISc, Bangalore. I have a voter card issued from Bangalore and my Passport is also issued from Bangalore. My parents are in Bangalore now. My local address on passport is of Bangalore and permanent address from Bihar.
My question is, could I have Karnataka as my home state .
Or do I have to send my form to Bihar Secretariat.
If anybody has been in this situation and has obtained a waiver, please let me know how it worked. Any information in this matter would be helpful.
Thanks very much.
Varsha

Hi USMLE1978,

Thanks for the details. These are really helpful.

I had a few questions for you-

1. After you obtain a J1 waiver as in your case, how long can you stay in the US without changing over your visa i.e. without getting a clinical J1 or H1B?

2. Have you heard of anyone's request for the J1 waiver being rejected?

3. Are there any restrictions on travel back to India or entering US again once you get this waiver?

Thanks

HSK

thats a great experience you shared. I am in a similar problem. Can i have your contact number

:)
My timeline for obtaining a waiver:

The most important thing in applying for a waiver is to apply at right time. Even if you dont have a sponsor for H1B, apply for a waiver. It will allow you to convert to a new visa such as a clinical J1 while remaining in US. So start as soon as you settle down in your new program.

I started very late.

Step 1: Attestation of forms from the consulate. March 2008

If you feel that you are very much short of time then I would advise you to go personally to the consulate and get the forms attested and pay the requisite fees. This will save at least 2-3 weeks. I personally did this and was able to get the attestation on the same day.

List of documents required:

4 copies of the form

passport and photocopies of all the important pages on the passport

60USD cash or cashier's cheque

Step 2:Sending the documents to India

Sent all documents to India to my parents in second week of March2008

As I am a medico , I was told to send the documents as follows:

1) deputy secretary (International co-operation)

Ministry of health and family welfare

Nirman Bhavan,

New Delhi 11011

Here through one of my friend I got the list of documents required to be sent. Also got the telephone number of the person who takes care of these things at clerical level.

1. The attested form
2. A cover letter stating that i am not involved in any clinical training or clinical research.
3. Letter from my employer stating that I am not involved in clinical training or clinical research
4. Passport and visa copy
5. My cv
6. List of publications
7. Reprints of my publications
8. my educational certificates
9. My curriculum in last 20 years.

The person in charge was Mr Bhatt 00911123061945. However these people are not very co-operative and will not give any information. I tried a lot.

2) regional passport officer,

Passport office,

Wagale industrial estate,

Thane.

Shri S.R.Mestry Passport Officer,

Vardhan Building, MIDC
Wagle Estate
Thane
022-25837803/
25829855/ 25832818
022-25829434
rpo.thane@mea.gov.in

My father personally went there and was able to get the work done in three visits. This office was the best office of all.

Work completed on 10th April 2008

3) Home department

Government of Maharashtra,

Mumbai

Shri. K. Subramanyam
(Special)Home Department
Principal Secretary
Ext 3473
PA Ext: 3798
Email : sec_homesp@maharashtra.gov.in
Email 2: KSubramanyam@maharashtra.gov.in

These people were little trouble some. They have a procedure by which they send a letter to the commissioner of my home town. The commissioner then sent a letter to the police station in my area. They asked my dad to get an affidavit done mentioning that they dont have any obligation in me staying in US and I dont have any loans on my name. Absolutely ridiculous procedure but took almost 2 weeks to complete. Then when all the related papers reached the home department, it took one week for the secretary to sign. Work completed on 21 April 2008.

My father sent me the fax of both the letters.

In addition to these fax , I had one letter from Ministry of health and family welfare new Delhi mentioning that they don't take any objection on medicos seeking further training in US.

Now I decided to hire a lawyer so that I dont make any mistakes which will lead to loss of precious time.

Started inquiry about the law firms. Got quotes from 1000 to 10000 USD for the work. My friend suggested one lawyer whom he had also hired for the same work. I talked to her and she said that I already have all the information and can go ahead and do the work by myself. But on my request she agreed to represent me and charged me a flat fee of 450. So if your case is not complex, the work involved in the process is not more than what she has charged me and she was truthful to me about that. I also realized the same during the whole process. So one should hire a lawyer only when there are complications in the case or like me having very short time for the procedure.

After online submission of the forms and statement of reason I took the third party barcode page with the three letters to the Chicago consulate. They refused to issue the waiver certificate unless I get the letter from Ministry of health and family welfare New Delhi.

Then there was no other option and getting the letter from them and that to in short time was necessary. Fortunately from one of my friend who was also doing the same procedure, I got contact number of a person who works with ministry. I contacted him and asked him to get my work done in time. He asked for a huge amount but after some bargaining, I was able to set up the procedure with him.

Finally on 12 th May 2008 I got the letter from Ministry of health and family welfare ( after almost 2 and half months) He sent it to me by fax.

Then on 14 th May I submitted the letters with a miscellaneous services form and passport copies and of course 20 USD to the consulate and got the final waiver letter. The officer told me that they will fax the letter to the Embassy in DC.

At this stage all our work is over and we can only wait to see what happens.

My application was received by DOS on 29 th April 7 days after it was sent to it and the online update was seen.

On 5 th June the officer at DOS told me that they have received the No objection statement from Indian embassy on 4th. Online update on 5th-NOC received on 4th June. To follow up with DOS call them on 2026631225 and press120.Then you will be able to speak to an officer.

On 11 June in the morning I was surprised to see that the DOS has sent the favorable recommendation on 9 th June to me and USCIS. USCIS received it on 11 th June and I got the letter on 16th.

At this stage the work of DOS gets over and now the USCIS comes into picture. It is difficult to track the things at the USCIS without the receipt number. I tried to call USCIS to get the number. After trying 10 times the officers will transfer you to a second level officer who told me the receipt number. Remember to tell them to look into the database of I 612 forms. The officer told me that the DS3035 gets converted into I612 when it reaches USCIS. I got receipt number on 25th June. Though the favorable recommendation is addressed to Nebraska service center the processing of the case takes place at Vermont service center.

I started following the receipt number and created an account for the email updates. For following up with USCIS call on 18003755283 and then press 1226221. Tell them that you haven't received the receipt and the favorable recommendation was sent by DOS to USCIS 2 months back. Half the officers dont have idea about this procedure.

On 30 th June I received an update that my approval letter has been mailed on 28 th. The last update date column showed the date to be 07/01/2008 which means that this is the date on which they printed the letter and sent it to the mail section of the USCIS vermont service center. After this there was long wait. I got the approval letter on 10th of July 2008 and the letter was stamped on 7th of July. Which means that the USCIS usually mails the letters on next working Monday after the last update date. So now I am no longer subject to the 2 year home residency requirement rule.

I thank all the forumites who had been helpful in posting important information on the forum. I will be more than happy to help anyone who needs guidance in this process.

My Recommendation Sent. and at this time should I get any letter or something like that? cuz I changed my address but they did not put my new address on my case.I know that cuz there is no information on my case about I changed my address ...and other question, what is next step ?

Hi,
I'm also awaiting my J1 waiver but my situation is slightly more complicated. I was in the US on a J1 visa till Sept 09 and returned to India when my work contract expired. However, I was not aware that I had to apply for a waiver well in advance of my visa expiry so I got the waiver work done through a lawyer. That turned out to be a big mistake since I was misled by her and I was not told that I had to get 3 letters from my home country prior to sending the papers with the barcode sheet to the Indian Embassy. I came to know of this oversight only about 1 year after I returned to India and hence could not return to the US. I relocated to New Zealand due to my problems with the US visa. I still cannot enter the US since I was not in my home country (India) for 2 years and since I did not receive the waiver. I would like to know
-How I should go about getting my waiver now
-How the attestation should be done from here. Would it be sufficient if I sent the forms and passport to the Indian Embassy in NZ and then forward the documents to India?
If anyone has had similar experience, kindly help.
Thanks!