My mother-in-law wants to be at my wife's delivery, shall she tell the true purpose?

ma2187

Hello everybody

I am on J-1 scholar visa and my wife has a J-2 visa. We live in Boston.
She is expecting a baby after 5 months from now.

My mother-in-law wants to visit us in the delivery period to support her daughter and see the baby.
So she want to apply for a B-2 visa.

We have a comprehensive medical insurance (blue cross).
My wife's doctor has written a letter to the US consulate confirming that my wife is receiving care at the medical center, confirming the delivery date, and stating that my wife is asking for her mother to come.

My wife's friends here have given mixed advice. some said that your mother should definitely give this letter and state the purpose, while others said that the mother should never state that she is arriving for delivery.
Why shall my mother-in-law do? shall she tell the consulate that she is coming to support her daughter for delivery and give the letter?

I highly appreciate your help because this is very confusing.

Best Wishes,

For your mother-in-law to attend the childbirth and see the new baby, that's a good reason. However, for your mother-in-law to come to help take care of the baby or help you guys with things around the house when you are busy after birth, that's illegal employment. Just make sure not to give them any suspicion that your mother-in-law is going to help take care of the baby.

Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to engage with illegal immigrants in the following manner:

Mother in law taking care of the baby is not illegal employment. She is not illegal immigrant. she is visiting.
Who said she was gonna get paid :!!!!!. So dont scare the future daddy.

Thanks.

Mother in law taking care of the baby is not illegal employment. She is not illegal immigrant. she is visiting.
Who said she was gonna get paid :!!!!!. So dont scare the future daddy.

Helping with home or childcare duties is considered voluntary unpaid work. It's taking away potential paid employment from a USC\LPR.
Just try telling the Embassy or CBP Officer you're coming "to take care of the baby" and see if you're let in. More often than not, you'll be denied.

Perhaps you may have gotten away with it, but get your facts right !!!

her mother taking care of the baby and helping at home is not illegal employment came on newacct. They won't pay her, she's family. always grandmoms (and dads) help their kids when they have grandsons/daughters.

Ask your wife to dump the paranoid half amongst her friends. Your MIL should truthfully state her visitation purpose.

My wife's friends here have given mixed advice. some said that your mother should definitely give this letter and state the purpose, while others said that the mother should never state that she is arriving for delivery.

She is simply visiting. if asked further details, she can show the letter or show a letter of her son inviting her.
No need for a "drama" . Immigration officers are humans like all of us.