My J-1 Waiver Timeline (2011)

hy2934

Registered Users (C)
Hey Everyone,

I am in the very final process of obtaining my J-1 waiver and thus wanted to share my experience and timeline of the process.

May 7th, 2011: Downloaded the forms for NORI from Indian Consulate's website. Filled them out and got them notarized by a Public Notary.

May 8th, 2011: Went to Indian Consulate (Houston) in person and submitted the documents along with copy of my passport and fees (cash). Received the attested documents back that same evening.

May 13th: Sent the 2 NORI documents (for State Govt and MHRD) to my parents (Haryana), and the third one (passport office) to my friend in Kolkata (because my passport was issued at Kolkata Office).

May 20th: Friend went to Kolkata office and took help of an agent. Was asked to come back in 2-3 days. After 2-3 days, he received a copy of the No Objection Certificate (NOC) and said that original has been sent to Indian Consulate in Houston.

May 28th: cousin went to MHRD and received the NOC in 2 days. They sent one copy to Indian Consulate in Houston.

June 15th: Parents submitted NORI docs to State Govt. of Haryana (chandigarh). This step was the most time-consuming and painfully slow. It was sent to DC Office and then to local police station. then a police officer came to house for verification. And then made the report and sent it back. Even at the end of August, neither my parents nor Me received the NOC.

September 18th, 2011: I called the Indian consulate asking if they have received all the 3 NOCs. they said they only have received one NOC from MHRD. (Never received NOC from passport office. Would you believe it?). I told them I have 2 NOCs fom passport office and MHRD. they asked me to come to consulate with only two as they need any 2 out of 3.

September 19th: filled the DS-3035 form on U.S. DOS website and received the case number and a third party barcode page. Sent all the required documnets by FEDEX to DOS.

September 20th: Went to Indian consulate with my copy of 2 NOCs, third party barcode page indicating my case number, copy of passport page and $20 fees. Got a "Waiver Certificate" copy that evening itself in person. They said they will fwd it to Indian embassy in Washington whch will then issue a final No Objection Statement (NOS)

September 29th: DOS website showed they received my documents and were waiting on No Objection Statement from Indian Embassy in Washington.

September 29th: Emailed Indian Washington in Embassy asking if they receied anything from indian consulate in Houston regarding my J-1 waiver application. they e-mailed me back stating that they received it on 28th September and have forwarded the NOS to DOS.

October5th, 2011: DOS website showed they received NOS.

October 6th, 2011: Favorable recommendation Sent by DOS to USCIS.

1st Nov., 2011: Received e-mail from USCIS stating that my J-1 waiver has been approved. (You can sign up on USCIS website for e-mail notifications)

Thanks everyone for their posts and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st Nov., 2011: Received e-mail from USCIS stating that my J-1 waiver has been approved. (You can sign up on USCIS website for e-mail notifications)

I'm glad that this entire process is over. I am really thankful to this forum (and many others) where I learned the procedure by reading posts and got some answers.

If anyone needs any help or has any question regarding the procedure or anything, you can always mail me on this forum or at: one.republic11_at_gmail_dot_com

Thank you for sharing that to us. This will help others that want to get a J-1 Visa.
Hope that more information about visa and immigration will be shared and posted in this thread.

Global Visas

Kolkata Agent

Hey Everyone,

I am in the very final process of obtaining my J-1 waiver and thus wanted to share my experience and timeline of the process.

May 7th, 2011: Downloaded the forms for NORI from Indian Consulate's website. Filled them out and got them notarized by a Public Notary.

May 8th, 2011: Went to Indian Consulate (Houston) in person and submitted the documents along with copy of my passport and fees (cash). Received the attested documents back that same evening.

May 13th: Sent the 2 NORI documents (for State Govt and MHRD) to my parents (Haryana), and the third one (passport office) to my friend in Kolkata (because my passport was issued at Kolkata Office).

May 20th: Friend went to Kolkata office and took help of an agent. Was asked to come back in 2-3 days. After 2-3 days, he received a copy of the No Objection Certificate (NOC) and said that original has been sent to Indian Consulate in Houston.

May 28th: cousin went to MHRD and received the NOC in 2 days. They sent one copy to Indian Consulate in Houston.

June 15th: Parents submitted NORI docs to State Govt. of Haryana (chandigarh). This step was the most time-consuming and painfully slow. It was sent to DC Office and then to local police station. then a police officer came to house for verification. And then made the report and sent it back. Even at the end of August, neither my parents nor Me received the NOC.

September 18th, 2011: I called the Indian consulate asking if they have received all the 3 NOCs. they said they only have received one NOC from MHRD. (Never received NOC from passport office. Would you believe it?). I told them I have 2 NOCs fom passport office and MHRD. they asked me to come to consulate with only two as they need any 2 out of 3.

September 19th: filled the DS-3035 form on U.S. DOS website and received the case number and a third party barcode page. Sent all the required documnets by FEDEX to DOS.

September 20th: Went to Indian consulate with my copy of 2 NOCs, third party barcode page indicating my case number, copy of passport page and $20 fees. Got a "Waiver Certificate" copy that evening itself in person. They said they will fwd it to Indian embassy in Washington whch will then issue a final No Objection Statement (NOS)

September 29th: DOS website showed they received my documents and were waiting on No Objection Statement from Indian Embassy in Washington.

September 29th: Emailed Indian Washington in Embassy asking if they receied anything from indian consulate in Houston regarding my J-1 waiver application. they e-mailed me back stating that they received it on 28th September and have forwarded the NOS to DOS.

October5th, 2011: DOS website showed they received NOS.

October 6th, 2011: Favorable recommendation Sent by DOS to USCIS.

Thanks everyone for their posts and help.

Thank you "hy2934" for the post...

Could you please let me know the name and contact of the agent who helped you get the NORI from passport office kolkata....This would be a great help..

Hii Dear Hy2934

Your was very helpful. I am thankful to you for this. I am in the process for obtaining NORI and have state domincile from HARYANA.

I would highly appreciate if you could tell me the exact address (in chandigarh) for obtaining the NOC.

It would be good if you have any contact no of any person in the concerned department for obtaining the NOC.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nice Forum ! This is my second visit in this site :- Can any one say about waiver-timeline Briefly .

i also share some usefull info about LAW FIRM .