My I-485 AOS Interview at NYC...

tnadkarni

Registered Users (C)
Ok...here goes....

My appointment was scheduled for 10AM this morning and I received the appointment notice November 2004 so it was well in advance. It's for a marriage-based GC.

I took a cab and got stuck in some traffic so we didn't end up at 26 Federal Plaza until around 9:30AM. Got to the Worth St entrance and showed the guard our appointment letter and ID. Went through security check (took about 10 mins) and then went to the 8th floor.

9:40AM - Took my appointment letter and gave it to the clerk who told me to take a seat and I would be called. There was a sign on her desk that said "2-3 hour delay" or something..

11:00AM - I was called over loudspeaker to go to the glass door leading to interview rooms. I went with my wife and we followed the female officer to her office.

Highlights of interview:

1- She had a HUGE file she was going through of what I guess are all the documents the INS/USCIS has on me

2 - She asked to see my passport and my wife's (who is the USC) driver license..her passport was not sufficient. We had that so it was ok.

3 - She asked for "Affadavit of Support" since the one filed by my lawyers didn't show enough income, etc. This was a huge problem since I didn't have another one but she was nice enough to go to the USCIS website on her PC, print one out and have us fill it out. Once we filled it out, we signed it infront of her and she notarized it.

4 - She asked for evidence of bonafide marriage. Gave her medical insurance cards, marriage certificate, joint lease, bank account,etc. She asked if I had made photocopies of my insurance cards which shocked me. I said no. She got up and made photocopies of them. She also asked for my sealed envelope with my medical exam results which I gave her.

5 - She then asked for pictures and after looking through them she told us she was going to keep 2. We said ok.

6 - She made a huge deal about whether I had applied before which my parents had done but they had withdrawn the application...I said no thinking they wouldn't have a record but it turns out they did. She gave me a hard time as to why I didn't say I had applied before and I told her it was my parents and I was young, etc etc...she said "Well it wasn't like you were 6, you knew what was going on." I realized she was getting annoyed so I just stopped talking.

7 - She confirmed our mailing address. She wrote in my passport and then said "You are all set, you will receive your GC in the mail"

8 - I asked her if she is going to stamp my passport and she said no. I then told her that I had not received my EAD or AP, should I get temporary ones until my GC arrives. She said "I have your EAD app right here and I could give you an EAD if I was putting your app on hold but I'm not so you won't even need the EAD." She also said that we should get the GC within a month or two max and we were part of a "fast-track process"

Things that worry me:

a) I didn't see her even opening the medical exam envelope which was odd...

b) She didn't ask for the IRS certified transcripts, employee letters, or other common items mentioned by people on this board

c) She didn't ever once say we were "approved"

d) I have no idea how long it's going to take to get the GC in the mail? What is the experience of people?

e) There's no stamp on the passport...just says in small print "I-485 Pending A# (my alien number) xxxxx (her name) DAO SEC245 2/9/05". That's it. Is this normal process for NYC? I spoke to my laywer afterwards and they said that processes are different in different offices...some of them stamp your passport and some may just mail you a card.

f) She never once mentioned anything about a background or security check.

Overall I left confused as to where I am now...she was very COLD, never smiled and at times I thought she was just going to deny the app.

I'd appreciate feedback on people who've gone through this and specifically how long it took to get your green card in the mail? I hope it comes soon.

:confused:

Same here man.......dont worry... lets discuss...

SAME WITH ME:
I went for interview yesterday.
Same with me ....
she wrote on my passport too....
I-485 Pending A# (my alien number) xxxxx (her name) DAO SEC245 2/8/05...

APPROVAL:
Also she never told me that you are approved .....

EAD:
You are lucky that u didnt have lawer or your lawer was good. my lawer was a pain in a** ., he was talking too much with officer and pissing her off..
So i never got chance to ask about EAD...
But after that i asked my lawer and he told me this is normal and i will get in 3 months.,,, but i also applied for EAD today..

QUESTIONS:
1. do u have valid EAD ??
2. if not, then how will you work if they are holding off ur EAD approval and not releaseing your GC right now?

pinto_1277 said:
SAME WITH ME:
I went for interview yesterday.
Same with me ....
she wrote on my passport too....
I-485 Pending A# (my alien number) xxxxx (her name) DAO SEC245 2/8/05...

APPROVAL:
Also she never told me that you are approved .....

EAD:
You are lucky that u didnt have lawer or your lawer was good. my lawer was a pain in a** ., he was talking too much with officer and pissing her off..
So i never got chance to ask about EAD...
But after that i asked my lawer and he told me this is normal and i will get in 3 months.,,, but i also applied for EAD today..

QUESTIONS:
1. do u have valid EAD ??
2. if not, then how will you work if they are holding off ur EAD approval and not releaseing your GC right now?

1. I have a valid H-1B until Nov 2005
2. If I don't receive my GC by April, I'm going to get a temporary EAD

She also said that we should get the GC within a month or two max

that is pretty much approval, isnt it?
I mean, it would be really odd for them to send you GC if you werent approved :)

999 said:
that is pretty much approval, isnt it?
I mean, it would be really odd for them to send you GC if you werent approved :)

Yeah I know. I guess I'm just paranoid.... :rolleyes: I'll believe it when I see it.

How long have you guys submitted the application before you received the notice? My receipt notice date is Nov. 27, 2002. I haven't heard anything yet.

tnadkarni
wow what an interview. I really wonder what kind of stuff was in that huge folder that you saw on her desk????? Why did she make you file the Affidavit of Support? aren't you supposed to include that with the original application if your income is below the poverty limit???

habby said:
How long have you guys submitted the application before you received the notice? My receipt notice date is Nov. 27, 2002. I haven't heard anything yet.
My receipt was September 2002 and I got an appointment for June 2005. So you shoud get a notice in about 2 months. :)

Can anyone please verify if i need to take my Employment letter with me for AOS Interview through marriage based. I have the paystub(last 2 months) do i also need to take my employment letter as well?

Trueman, i dont understand a question???? is your employment letter like 300 pages long and a burden for you to carry it with you to the interview?? Why not put it in your back pocket and walk confidently to ur interview.........I know for my interview im gonna bring every single paper in the house! :)

tnadkarni said:
Ok...here goes....

My appointment was scheduled for 10AM this morning and I received the appointment notice November 2004 so it was well in advance. It's for a marriage-based GC.

I took a cab and got stuck in some traffic so we didn't end up at 26 Federal Plaza until around 9:30AM. Got to the Worth St entrance and showed the guard our appointment letter and ID. Went through security check (took about 10 mins) and then went to the 8th floor.

9:40AM - Took my appointment letter and gave it to the clerk who told me to take a seat and I would be called. There was a sign on her desk that said "2-3 hour delay" or something..

11:00AM - I was called over loudspeaker to go to the glass door leading to interview rooms. I went with my wife and we followed the female officer to her office.

Highlights of interview:

1- She had a HUGE file she was going through of what I guess are all the documents the INS/USCIS has on me

2 - She asked to see my passport and my wife's (who is the USC) driver license..her passport was not sufficient. We had that so it was ok.

3 - She asked for "Affadavit of Support" since the one filed by my lawyers didn't show enough income, etc. This was a huge problem since I didn't have another one but she was nice enough to go to the USCIS website on her PC, print one out and have us fill it out. Once we filled it out, we signed it infront of her and she notarized it.

4 - She asked for evidence of bonafide marriage. Gave her medical insurance cards, marriage certificate, joint lease, bank account,etc. She asked if I had made photocopies of my insurance cards which shocked me. I said no. She got up and made photocopies of them. She also asked for my sealed envelope with my medical exam results which I gave her.

5 - She then asked for pictures and after looking through them she told us she was going to keep 2. We said ok.

6 - She made a huge deal about whether I had applied before which my parents had done but they had withdrawn the application...I said no thinking they wouldn't have a record but it turns out they did. She gave me a hard time as to why I didn't say I had applied before and I told her it was my parents and I was young, etc etc...she said "Well it wasn't like you were 6, you knew what was going on." I realized she was getting annoyed so I just stopped talking.

7 - She confirmed our mailing address. She wrote in my passport and then said "You are all set, you will receive your GC in the mail"

8 - I asked her if she is going to stamp my passport and she said no. I then told her that I had not received my EAD or AP, should I get temporary ones until my GC arrives. She said "I have your EAD app right here and I could give you an EAD if I was putting your app on hold but I'm not so you won't even need the EAD." She also said that we should get the GC within a month or two max and we were part of a "fast-track process"

Things that worry me:

a) I didn't see her even opening the medical exam envelope which was odd...

b) She didn't ask for the IRS certified transcripts, employee letters, or other common items mentioned by people on this board

c) She didn't ever once say we were "approved"

d) I have no idea how long it's going to take to get the GC in the mail? What is the experience of people?

e) There's no stamp on the passport...just says in small print "I-485 Pending A# (my alien number) xxxxx (her name) DAO SEC245 2/9/05". That's it. Is this normal process for NYC? I spoke to my laywer afterwards and they said that processes are different in different offices...some of them stamp your passport and some may just mail you a card.

f) She never once mentioned anything about a background or security check.

Overall I left confused as to where I am now...she was very COLD, never smiled and at times I thought she was just going to deny the app.

I'd appreciate feedback on people who've gone through this and specifically how long it took to get your green card in the mail? I hope it comes soon.

:confused:

What did you apply for? Just I-485?

habby said:

I-130, I-485 June 2002. Married to USC. Nothing so far.

I got my interview letter on Feb11, 2005. I don't have an idea how I can find a doctor for the medical examination. Where is the information about the doctor's address and phone number available?

Try to use INS website. It has all instruction and information.
This kind of forums are for complecated case or for fine details.

I-485 interview

I went for my 485 interview yesterday 26 federal plaza arrived at worth st entrance at 8 oclock go through security to room 800 go to the clerk hand over my appointment letter she said to have a sit they going to call me the interview was for 8.30 at 9 oclock my name was call for the interview the interviewing officer was a lady very very nice lady first she swear us in then she ask us three question two was from my wife and one was from me the question she my wife was how we met and what work i was doing in my home country and she ask me if i no what work my wife do and that was it she say she all the document that they requested and the only problem is my name check she have not recieve it as long she recieveit they gonna write me for pp stamping or i recieve my card in the mail.

a little tip

I realize many of u are from NY and have interviews coming up.Heres a little tip if your application is marriage based
Please carry all reqd documents and any additioanl stuff as well.if you have any utility bills/ mail in both your names carry it, a baby together ( so what if theres a snowstorm theres heat inside the federal plaza), EAD ( current and any from the past). In short please carry anything that has both your names. I dont mean to get any of you nervous but the officer in my case seemed to want everything that wasnt reqd. I hope that helps. All the best to all of you.

It's been over a month since my AOS interview and I have yet to hear anything from USCIS or the NYC District office. I contacted my lawyer and they supposedly have an inside contact in the NYC office who they are going to check with on the status of my case.

My status online has not changed since my interview either and I'm getting nervous as the weeks go by. Hopefully I'll have something soon.

Well...

It's now been over 2 months since my AOS interview and still have not heard a peep from USCIS/NYC District office.

I spoke to my lawyers and they are puzzled although their feeling is it may be my fingerprints going through security clearance..

They plan to write to the NYC District office next week for more details so I'll post back if anything changes...

I hope others are having better luck! :(

Hi - I had AOS interview (Marriage to USC) in LA - Jun-04 , Officer said everything is good except that they are waiting for Background check results ...Nothing so far ...Im still waiting ..Apparently from the postings on this website ..things dont look very promising ..there is no timeline as such for background checks to complete ..

Thanks