• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My DV interview experience in Naples, Italy.

Lerrie

It all started May 1st 2013 when I logged on the DV website and found my future husband had been selected. I was overjoyed at the result as it was the best wedding present ever. We got married May 11 2013. We had both played the dv lottery in October 2012 as singles even though we were engaged.
Our CN was quite on the high side, AF00071xxx, and we expected our interview in August. Unfortunately, we all know the way the DV2014 went, leaving a lot of disappointments in its wake.
We had our interview scheduled in Naples, Italy for September 2, 2014. In Italy the medicals are done the day before the interview. It is advised to prepare for a three day stay in Naples.

OUR MEDICALS:

We arrived at the "Istituito Varelli" at 6:55am even though the appointment was scheduled for 8:30am. There were already four people before us when we arrived.
We submitted our passports to the receptionist and where asked to sit and wait to be called.
At 7:30am the nurses started calling people for the blood test. After which we were taken to a study for a general interview where they ask for vaccination and medical records. Because our vaccination records were up to date we only paid €170 per person for medical fee. After a general medical check up and a chest X-ray, we were told we could go. All in all we spent two hours for the whole medical process.

THE INTERVIEW:
We arrived at the US consulate at 8:00am. The security informed us we would only be allowed in 15mins prior to our appointment which was scheduled for 9:00am. My hubby and I decided to go for a walk since we had 45mins more. At exactly 8:45am we returned to the consulate, the security allowed us in, we had no phones nor electronic gadgets on us which made the security clearance fast. We were further directed to go through the right door and on to the second floor. When we got there, we met other applicants we had seen the day before during the medicals, after exchanging pleasantries we sat and waited for our number to be called. At 10:00am we were called to the counter where we were asked to present our documents. Strangely, there was no request for the affidavit of support. Afterwards we were asked to pay the visa fee of $330/person at the cashier counter and bring the receipt. After which, we were asked to sit while we waited for the consular to call us.
At 11:15am our names were finally called. The interview took place in the same hall but we where directed to a different counter than the one where our documents were collected.

THE CHAT:
Co: Good morning Mr and Mrs Lerrie
Us: Good morning to you Sir.
Co: You both have to raise your right hands up and answer YES or NO to the following questions.
Us: Did as we were told and took our oaths.
Co: (Addressing my husband who is the PA) Mr Lerrie how long have you lived in Italy?
My Hubby: 8 months.
Co: I see before now you were in the UK. What did you do there?
My hubby: Explained.
Co: So tell me where and how did you meet your wife?
My Hubby: In 2010 bla bla bla.
Co: Have you ever met your wife's family? Tell me something about them?
My Hubby: talked away...
Co: (Addressing me - all the while I stood quietly at my husbands side while he answered the questions). And you Mrs Lerrie have you ever met your husband's family? What do you know about them?
Me: Answered.
Co: do you like your mother in law?
Me: Of course , I do! ( we both laughed)
Co: I see you have both been married for a little over a year. Have you got any kids?
Us: hopefully one is on its way as we speak.
( more laughter as the Co joked about our response)
Co: Well, Mr and Mrs Lerrie it seems everything is ok here. I have to say your visas have been approved. At that point I was already in seventh heaven and I wasn't listening anymore...

All in all the interview took less than 15mins, we were out of the consulate by 11:30am.
I just couldn't believe how smoothly it all went. The Co was nice, friendly and with a good sense of humour which made us feel at ease during our chat with him. It was a beautiful experience.

NB:
I realised one of the reasons why people get put on AP, denied or have a difficult experience is because they are not well informed. Some people don't even bother reading the instructions carefully and properly, while others sometimes take the instructions for granted and arrive for their
interview not well prepared.
I met a gentleman there, a DV winner, who didn't have any police report on him nor affidavit of support. He didn't even know anything about the vaccines during the medicals and was shocked by how much he had to pay for the medicals in the end. Luckily for him, the affidavit wasn't asked for and his interview went well. He was asked to get his police reports for both Italy and his country of origin and email them to the consulate as soon as possible.

There were several other people for other immigrant visas who had quite a shock at the medical centre as they didn't know about the vaccines nor did they know it wouldn't have cost a thing to get them taken at the local health centres before the interview.
I guess we were all quite fortunate yesterday, as immigrant visas, not only for DV, were granted to almost everyone.

Awesome! Congrats.

You like your mother in law? OK! ;) We believe you!

If anyone is listening/watching this thread right now...Lerrie LOVES her mother in law. She adores her! That's right, she looooves her ;)

Got you covered there girl. Your secret is safe with us :D:D:D

Last edited:
It all started May 1st 2013 when I logged on the DV website and found my future husband had been selected. I was overjoyed at the result as it was the best wedding present ever. We got married May 11 2013. We had both played the dv lottery in October 2012 as singles even though we were engaged.
Our CN was quite on the high side, AF00071xxx, and we expected our interview in August. Unfortunately, we all know the way the DV2014 went, leaving a lot of disappointments in its wake.
We had our interview scheduled in Naples, Italy for September 2, 2014. In Italy the medicals are done the day before the interview. It is advised to prepare for a three day stay in Naples.

OUR MEDICALS:

We arrived at the "Istituito Varelli" at 6:55am even though the appointment was scheduled for 8:30am. There were already four people before us when we arrived.
We submitted our passports to the receptionist and where asked to sit and wait to be called.
At 7:30am the nurses started calling people for the blood test. After which we were taken to a study for a general interview where they ask for vaccination and medical records. Because our vaccination records were up to date we only paid €170 per person for medical fee. After a general medical check up and a chest X-ray, we were told we could go. All in all we spent two hours for the whole medical process.

THE INTERVIEW:
We arrived at the US consulate at 8:00am. The security informed us we would only be allowed in 15mins prior to our appointment which was scheduled for 9:00am. My hubby and I decided to go for a walk since we had 45mins more. At exactly 8:45am we returned to the consulate, the security allowed us in, we had no phones nor electronic gadgets on us which made the security clearance fast. We were further directed to go through the right door and on to the second floor. When we got there, we met other applicants we had seen the day before during the medicals, after exchanging pleasantries we sat and waited for our number to be called. At 10:00am we were called to the counter where we were asked to present our documents. Strangely, there was no request for the affidavit of support. Afterwards we were asked to pay the visa fee of $330/person at the cashier counter and bring the receipt. After which, we were asked to sit while we waited for the consular to call us.
At 11:15am our names were finally called. The interview took place in the same hall but we where directed to a different counter than the one where our documents were collected.

THE CHAT:
Co: You both have to raise your right hands up and answer YES or NO to the following questions.
Co: (Addressing my husband who is the PA) Mr Lerrie how long have you lived in Italy?
Co: (Addressing me - all the while I stood quietly at my husbands side while he answered the questions). And you Mrs Lerrie have you ever met your husband's family? What do you know about them?
Co: I see you have both been married for a little over a year. Have you got any kids?
Co: Well, Mr and Mrs Lerrie it seems everything is ok here. I have to say your visas have been approved. At that point I was already in seventh heaven and I wasn't listening anymore...

All in all the interview took less than 15mins, we were out of the consulate by 11:30am.
I just couldn't believe how smoothly it all went. The Co was nice, friendly and with a good sense of humour which made us feel at ease during our chat with him. It was a beautiful experience.

NB:
I realised one of the reasons why people get put on AP, denied or have a difficult experience is because they are not well informed. Some people don't even bother reading the instructions carefully and properly, while others sometimes take the instructions for granted and arrive for their
I met a gentleman there, a DV winner, who didn't have any police report on him nor affidavit of support. He didn't even know anything about the vaccines during the medicals and was shocked by how much he had to pay for the medicals in the end. Luckily for him, the affidavit wasn't asked for and his interview went well. He was asked to get his police reports for both Italy and his country of origin and email them to the consulate as soon as possible.

There were several other people for other immigrant visas who had quite a shock at the medical centre as they didn't know about the vaccines nor did they know it wouldn't have cost a thing to get them taken at the local health centres before the interview.
I guess we were all quite fortunate yesterday, as immigrant visas, not only for DV, were granted to almost everyone.
Congrats. And you are right not knowing the rules and not being prepared is only one of the reasons people end IP on ap. There are many other reasons for this to happen too.

OUR MEDICALS:

THE INTERVIEW:

THE CHAT:

NB:

Hello Lerrie

Thanks for sharing your exp..

At the medical tests what "vaccination and medical records" did you take with you. .. Thanks

@SusieQQQ , @franko ....didn't see the mother in law question coming, the Co actually caught me off guard there! But I love Mama 2....World take note :):):)

We will be settling in DFW area, Texas. We received our passports two days later which was really fast. Trying to book our flights right now as we plan leaving before the end of the month. I have been looking at BA, only problem is you are only allowed one checked luggage of 23kg/ person if booking economy. Which means one has to pay for extra luggage....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Lerrie

Thanks for sharing your exp..

At the medical tests what "vaccination and medical records" did you take with you. .. Thanks

Hi Durbin, will you be having your interview in Naples? We took the MMR and the tetanus-diphthera a couple of days before at the local health centre.

Hi Durbin, will you be having your interview in Naples? We took the MMR and the tetanus-diphthera a couple of days before at the local health centre.

Hi Lerrie .. My interview will be in London , only wanted to know what vaccinations you had presented as I don't remember taking any vaccinations in last 20yrs, also don't have records of my child vaccinations.

@ Durbin, It's no problem if you don't have any record of vaccinations. If you have a Gp I suggest you go see him or her with the list of vaccinations required by the US consulate, that way your GP can help you work out what vaccinations you need before you have your medicals. If you are able to take the shots before your medicals you would save a lot.

@ Durbin, It's no problem if you don't have any record of vaccinations. If you have a Gp I suggest you go see him or her with the list of vaccinations required by the US consulate, that way your GP can help you work out what vaccinations you need before you have your medicals. If you are able to take the shots before your medicals you would save a lot.

Lerrie - Thanks . That's what I'll do..

Good evening everyone. Been away for sometime busy preparing for our trip. Arrived Dallas safely on 18/09 after 15hours trip. Thank God the journey was stress free.

For anyone arriving Dallas/Fort Worth international airport please be prepared to spend about two hours to go through Custom and Border security. We spent three hours in all at the airport. It's a long and lengthy process for the paper works. After we got off the plane we walked to the custom check point and joined the queue for NON US CITIZENS on a visa. The queue was very long, 90% of the people were Asians and South Americans as our flight arrived at the same time with that of Qatar airways. It took about an hour for it to get to our turn. When we got to the custom officer we handed him our passports and sealed envelopes. He asked us if we are immigrating today, we said yes. He asked us to confirm our address where we will be residing, which we did. Then he took our digital prints and pictures and then accompanied us to a waiting room where he asked us to wait until we were called.
We waited for about two hours before we were called. Our finger prints were taken again, this time the old fashioned way, by ink. Then we were asked to sign a form writing our full names. We waited another 10 mins and then we were called again and handed our passports.
We were totally exhausted. I was even more worried for our luggage. Luckily they were all intact and waiting for us.
Please always check your passports have been stamped when the custom officers hands you your passports. We found out our passports weren't stamped on entry after we picked up our luggage at the last security post.

The Monday after arrival we decided to go to the SSA office. It was a waste of time as the lady we met insisted we go home and wait for the document to arrive by mail. She wouldn't even check to see if we are on the system or not. I am not sure if that's a Texan thing and if they are stricter here on the rules or if the lady was just being strict. Anyway we spent the week trying to open an account and getting our drivers license but they all want to see the SSN. Luckily mine arrived today in the mail after 8 working days from arrival. Hopefully my husband's arrives this week that way we can get things in motion.