• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My 2014 DV process – Asia (consular) Full report

DV2014-Asia

My 2014 DV process – Asia (consular)

At the very end of September 2012 I decided to sign up for the “green card” lottery, I said to myself why not, honestly not hoping for much, who would just give away a green card I was thinking.

*Note to first timers- signing up to the lottery is free of charge, and very simple all you need is 1 scanned 5x5 passport pictures and some very basic information. DO NOT PAY any fee, the registration is completely free.

I didn’t think too much about the face that I registered until May 1, 2013 when I logged it to the state department’s website and was informed that I was “randomly selected for further processing” I was thrilled , can’t even start to explain the feeling, really like winning the lottery.

At this point after celebrating for a few days I was trying to figure out what’s next and the next blog will describe my process as specific as possible.

After I was notified about my selection in May of 2013, I started immediately gathering all of the required documents.

The documents required are pretty simple and are specified in the following link: http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Please note that they do not mention proof of funds, however it is very important to bring bank statements, proof of assets and or affidavit of support signed by an American citizen. For me the bank statement was sufficient.

All those documents are required to be brought to the interview at the embassy or consulate.

The first actual step for me was filling up and sending forms DPS-122 and DS -230 part 1 and 2, note that Effective May 19, 2014, the principal applicant and all family members applying for a diversity visa in the DV-2015 program must complete the online DS-260 Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, which can be accessed in theConsular Electronic Application Center (CEAC).

After sending the forms the only thing left for me to do while gathering all the documents was to wait for my number to be current. Every month the state department publishes a visa bulletin with the current cut off numbers for every area (Asia, Europe, etc). They normally publish cut of numbers for the 2 following months in advance.

On June 2014 my cutoff number finally appeared on the visa bulletin for August and 3 days later I received an email that a massage is waiting for me and I should log in to the website where I initially registered for lottery. The massage was the interview notification, scheduled for August first at the embassy in my home country. Please note that you will not receive PAPER mail at any part of the process.

Physical/ Medical exam- The last part before the interview was scheduling a medical exam, the results are normally only valid for about 6 months in which you have to have your interview , receive an immigrant visa and travel to the US within that period of time .

Saying that, I waiting to have a date for my interview before scheduling my physical, another important thing to pay attention to is that you MUST have the exam do by a state department approved physician in the country where the interview is being held!

I found the updated list of doctors on the embassy’s website and scheduled to appointment. The actual check up is very simple and takes maybe 20 minutes including blood test and Xray.

Interview:

I arrived at the consulate at 730 where security was simple and I was sent to the consular section.

I waited for about 20 minutes until my name was called to the window where a consular assistant asked for all of my supporting documents ( The fist document she asked for was proof of assets) ,and for my results from the medical exam ( Which was given to me in sealed envelope by the dr. office ) I came prepared and organized, which made the process simple, I also brought copies off all the documents which they never asked for and preferred to make their own copies.

After I handed out all of the documents I was sent to pay the $330 DV Fee, where I paid in cash, and came back to the same window to give the consular assistant my receipt, She returned to me the copy of the X-ray and told me to bring it with me to the US and was told this is all and I should wait until I am called by the consul.

I waited for about another hour (very stressed I might add), than my name was called and I was asked to go to another window , where I was greeted by a very friendly consul , I had to swear that all of the information provided by me is true, and gave my finger prints, than the consul asked me one question : Do you know what are you going to do once you arrive in the US, I answered that I’m not sure, by I’m hoping to work in my profession . The consul wrote something in the computer, looked back at me and said “That’s it, your request is approved” I was thrilled.

The visa was issued and sent to my house by carrier mail within 5 days, and was valid to until the expiration of my medical , 6 months minus 2 weeks. Together with the visa there was a sealed envelope I had to bring with me to the US and a welcome letter.

Arrival in the US

I arrived at LAX, which was very busy at the time I arrived, I went to the visitors line, as explained to me at the embassy. After the long line the immigration officer looked at my Immigrant visa and I also gave him the sealed envelope, He asked me also one question, “ What did you do for a living before moving here” I answered and he greeted me to the US, and explained to me that I have to go to secondary inspection.

Secondary inspection was very simple; I signed some documents, gave my finger prints (Ink this time) and was given my stamped passport back with an attached letter welcoming me to the US.

That’s it – It was a very stressful process but I am thrilled to be lucky enough to writer this post from the USA where I am a Permanent resident!

Good luck!

My 2014 DV process – Asia (consular)

At the very end of September 2012 I decided to sign up for the “green card” lottery, I said to myself why not, honestly not hoping for much, who would just give away a green card I was thinking.

*Note to first timers- signing up to the lottery is free of charge, and very simple all you need is 1 scanned 5x5 passport pictures and some very basic information. DO NOT PAY any fee, the registration is completely free.

I didn’t think too much about the face that I registered until May 1, 2013 when I logged it to the state department’s website and was informed that I was “randomly selected for further processing” I was thrilled , can’t even start to explain the feeling, really like winning the lottery.

At this point after celebrating for a few days I was trying to figure out what’s next and the next blog will describe my process as specific as possible.

After I was notified about my selection in May of 2013, I started immediately gathering all of the required documents.

The documents required are pretty simple and are specified in the following link: http://travel.state.gov/content/vis...re-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html

Please note that they do not mention proof of funds, however it is very important to bring bank statements, proof of assets and or affidavit of support signed by an American citizen. For me the bank statement was sufficient.

All those documents are required to be brought to the interview at the embassy or consulate.

The first actual step for me was filling up and sending forms DPS-122 and DS -230 part 1 and 2, note that Effective May 19, 2014, the principal applicant and all family members applying for a diversity visa in the DV-2015 program must complete the online DS-260 Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, which can be accessed in theConsular Electronic Application Center (CEAC).

After sending the forms the only thing left for me to do while gathering all the documents was to wait for my number to be current. Every month the state department publishes a visa bulletin with the current cut off numbers for every area (Asia, Europe, etc). They normally publish cut of numbers for the 2 following months in advance.

On June 2014 my cutoff number finally appeared on the visa bulletin for August and 3 days later I received an email that a massage is waiting for me and I should log in to the website where I initially registered for lottery. The massage was the interview notification, scheduled for August first at the embassy in my home country. Please note that you will not receive PAPER mail at any part of the process.

Physical/ Medical exam- The last part before the interview was scheduling a medical exam, the results are normally only valid for about 6 months in which you have to have your interview , receive an immigrant visa and travel to the US within that period of time .

Saying that, I waiting to have a date for my interview before scheduling my physical, another important thing to pay attention to is that you MUST have the exam do by a state department approved physician in the country where the interview is being held!

I found the updated list of doctors on the embassy’s website and scheduled to appointment. The actual check up is very simple and takes maybe 20 minutes including blood test and Xray.

Interview:

I arrived at the consulate at 730 where security was simple and I was sent to the consular section.

I waited for about 20 minutes until my name was called to the window where a consular assistant asked for all of my supporting documents ( The fist document she asked for was proof of assets) ,and for my results from the medical exam ( Which was given to me in sealed envelope by the dr. office ) I came prepared and organized, which made the process simple, I also brought copies off all the documents which they never asked for and preferred to make their own copies.

After I handed out all of the documents I was sent to pay the $330 DV Fee, where I paid in cash, and came back to the same window to give the consular assistant my receipt, She returned to me the copy of the X-ray and told me to bring it with me to the US and was told this is all and I should wait until I am called by the consul.

I waited for about another hour (very stressed I might add), than my name was called and I was asked to go to another window , where I was greeted by a very friendly consul , I had to swear that all of the information provided by me is true, and gave my finger prints, than the consul asked me one question : Do you know what are you going to do once you arrive in the US, I answered that I’m not sure, by I’m hoping to work in my profession . The consul wrote something in the computer, looked back at me and said “That’s it, your request is approved” I was thrilled.

The visa was issued and sent to my house by carrier mail within 5 days, and was valid to until the expiration of my medical , 6 months minus 2 weeks. Together with the visa there was a sealed envelope I had to bring with me to the US and a welcome letter.

Arrival in the US

I arrived at LAX, which was very busy at the time I arrived, I went to the visitors line, as explained to me at the embassy. After the long line the immigration officer looked at my Immigrant visa and I also gave him the sealed envelope, He asked me also one question, “ What did you do for a living before moving here” I answered and he greeted me to the US, and explained to me that I have to go to secondary inspection.

Secondary inspection was very simple; I signed some documents, gave my finger prints (Ink this time) and was given my stamped passport back with an attached letter welcoming me to the US.

That’s it – It was a very stressful process but I am thrilled to be lucky enough to writer this post from the USA where I am a Permanent resident!

Good luck!

congratulations on getting the visa! :) please if may ask: in what embassy did you have your interview?
thank you so much and congratulations one more time :D