Moving During N-400 Process

sg_orl

Registered Users (C)
I have unfortunately applied from Orlando, FL, where N-400 processing dates barely move, if at all. As reported on 9/22/04 at USCIS website, the current processing dates for the N-400 in Orlando, FL is 9/21/02. That's right!!!!! - TWO FULL YEARS. I have watched these dates from March 2004 to September 2004 to only fluctuate between 8/3/02 to 1/24/03. In the past 2 months, these dates have moved backwards by 4 months!!??!!

My application details are:
PD: May 2003
FP: June 2003
Interview/Oath:?????

Interestingly the processing dates are much better in Jacksonville Sub-office, Tampa Sub-office and even Miami DO.

My questions to you all the gurus out there are:
1) In order to speed up the processing, should I consider moving to another location within the Miami DO? This will mean staying within TSC.
2) What are the problems, moving can cause, or I should anticipate, if I move within the same DO and same service center.
3) Since the processing dates are already ahead in the other three locations in Florida, and well past my PD, how soon should I expect to hear for an interview?

I would really like to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

Wow, that's very very surprising. I should feel I am very very lucky.

"My questions to you all the gurus out there are:
1) In order to speed up the processing, should I consider moving to another location within the Miami DO? This will mean staying within TSC.
2) What are the problems, moving can cause, or I should anticipate, if I move within the same DO and same service center.
3) Since the processing dates are already ahead in the other three locations in Florida, and well past my PD, how soon should I expect to hear for an interview?"

1) I am not sure I understood your question correctly, but sounds like you want to change your district office. First of all, I don't think it's even possible to change your district office just because you want to. It's all up to the INS, not you. So, they decide that it's not big deal for you to come up to Orland office, they just let you stick to Orlando office.
Second, it is also possible that the processing time could be delayed by the change of the district office. My story: I "briefly" moved from Chicago to somewhere in Illinois. Chicago office contacted me if I was going to change the office. But, they warned me that the change would delay my processing time up to one year. The change of the district office means the transfer of all of your documents and files to the another district. It's very possible that the process could be delayed by that.

2) Moving can always make some trouble in naturalization process. Again my story: I moved while my application was pending. The thing is the INS sent an interview letter just on the date I moved. The letter was sent to the old address, and returned to the INS. Thank God, the INS called me and told me that I was going to have an interview on some date.
Back to your point, moving can make a trouble because it is always possible that your address is not correctly changed. I was SO lucky. But, my friend was not. The INS had sent his wrong address, and never called him. As a result, he didn't show up for the interview, and his application was discarded. It took 2 yrs for him to be naturalized.
BUT, I am sure it wouldn't be a problem, if you move to new place, and get a confirmation letter from the INS. Bottom line: moving can cause a trouble. But, you get the confirmation letter at the new place, that means you don't have to worry.

3) Only God knows.

Thanks Boldlygo for your response.

I am evaluating the pros and cons of a change of address. In Florida, Miami is the DO and Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando are Sub-offices. I applied from Orlando Sub-office of Miami DO in TSC, which serves 9 counties around Orlando. Unfortunately, Orlando's processing dates for N-400 are: 9/21/02, whereas Tampa and Jacksonville are processing applications from January 2004.

If I were to move to either Tampa or Jacksonville Sub-office's service area from Orlando Sub-office, would it make my application go any faster or create unnecessary delays. My PD is May 2003, which is well ahead of January 2004 processing dates of either Tampa or Jacksonville.

Since this move would only be less than 100 miles fro Orlando, could USCIS still tell me that I would need to go to Orlando for an interview not Tampa or Jacksonville. I guess what I am struggling with is that I would like to expedite the process if it's feasible, but not necessarily jeopardize it with additional bureacratic delays, that a moving can cause.

I would really like to hear from Rahul, Shaky and the others who moved during the N-400 process.

moving districts from newark to cherry hill once during n400 prob cost me 6 mo's thanks to filing AR11 [attorney says i shouldn;t have notified them but that's another risk u take if the notice doesnt forward]. 20 mo's & counting total for app.