1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

Mistake on N400

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by jimgreener, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jimgreener

jimgreener Registered Users (C)

My interview is next week and I was checking my application (N400) It is a marriage based application.
    I noticed that in my application by mistake I had written the date my wife became US citizen as 2/24/2008 instead of 5/1/2002.

2/24/2008 is the date that I was filling out the N400 application.

I am assuming that is not a big deal and I can correct the application during the interview and can explain to the officer (showing my wife's Naturalization certificate).
    Am I right to assume that?
    Please respond.
    Thanks
  2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Volunteer Moderator

You should bring this fact VOLUNTARILY to the attention to the interviewing officer at the interview and correct the mistake. It's not a big deal. Make sure to have some kind of life-insurance policy between you and your wife as NY area, they are focusing on this particular document very much...at least as per the latest trend.

Good luck...

3. jimgreener

Thanks a lot.

Yes I will volunteer the info and get it corrected.

Yes I do have life insurance from my wife where I am beneficiary.
    I have life insurance policy from work where my wife is beneficiary.
  4. JohnnyCash

Do not also forget the tax TRANSCRIPT for the last 5 yrs even though you have filed your naturalization application under 3 yrs rule by virtue of being married to a US citizen.
  5. jimgreener

I only have tax transcripts for last 3 years. That is what my interview letter said to bring.
    I can however, take the copy of the tax returns for 2 additional years.
  6. jimgreener

Another couple of quick questions:
    1. at what point should I volunteer the correction of the data of citizenship of my wife.Should I say it as soon as I take the oath or do I state it even before oath begins?
    2. Do you think I should take my wife to the interview. I am planning ,however,not to take my son.
  7. vik_b

vik_b Registered Users (C)

Given the nature of mistake wait till oath before interview and when the IO is going over the application with you during interview (he/she will go over some yes /no question as a procedure), bring this issue up.

Just be positive and be over prepared regarding documents.

vik_b
  8. JohnnyCash

You should bring this matter to the officer's attention when officer will reach to the question related to this information or close-by or if officer would miss asking about this question. And it would be a way after giving you the oath. The first thing officer would do is- placing you under oath.

You can take your wife with you but I'm not sure if they will allow her to go with you inside the building. But she will definately not be allowed to go with you to the interview cell/chamber/room while you will be taken for the interview. But the whole purpose of this trick is- Just letting the officer know that your wife is there with you...which could be done this way -when officer will come out and announce/call your name for the interview then both of you should get up together from the chair as if you both are going to in the interview. It's very important that your wife should immediately get up too from the chair to be with you to the interview which will be just a trick because officer will then definately notice her and will tell her to stay there. And that's what you want...meaning-letting the officer know that your wife is there...which will prove the officer in itself that you are still in a happy marriage...Thus, officer will NOT drill you during the interview about the legitimancy and the continuity of the marriage, and then your interview will be so easy. Just play the game perfect.. both of you....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  9. JohnnyCash

Don't even pay any attention to the interview notice because it's just a generic one. No any interviewing officer ever pays any attention to any interview notice to know what are being asked from the applicants. Did you read the list of documents from my stick thread?

You may take the copy of your tax returns for the rest two years but most officers care about tax transcripts than tax-returns. I know some people were not even asked anything about tax returns/transcripts, but most applicants were asked about showing tax transcripts. So, it's up to you. Nobody can say for sure what that particular officer will ask you...who will interview you. I'm a person who want to go to the interview fully prepared than taking risk/chance. A many people recently get continueous of their case because they overlooked or paid no attention to my list of documents but when their application wasn't approved and case got continued, they came on this board and bashing the officer for being racist and anti-immigrants...etc...but the truth is-they ignored what I wrote in my list of documents. They didn't like to make efforts to collect those documents.

Thus, it's totally up to you. But if I were you, I will call the IRS on 1-800-829-1040 and will get the rest of the transcripts within a second thru fax as IRS does provide tax transcripts by fax. If (only if) you were asked during the interview as to why you have fax-copy for tax transcripts then explain to the officer that there wasn't enough time to receive the transcripts thru mail.

Good luck...