Misdemeanors and one theft in the 2nd degree felony Green Card to citizenship

RobertBobert

Hello,

I'm currently 28 years old, have been in the US since 1998. Almost 10 years ago I got into a bunch of trouble, driving on a suspended license, theft in the 3rd degree and theft in the 2nd degree which is the felony and a marijuana misdemeanor charge. In WA state. I also completed a court drug diversion program, and since then have been for the most part a normal good tax paying citizen. Have not even been pulled over since. I have a good life, good job and family, I love this country and am very anxious to get my citizenship. I'm afraid my past might have ruined my chances at this. Both of my parents became citizens but were divorced when my dad got his, so I wasn't under his custody, and my mom did it after I turned 18. So it's up to me to get it. I renewed my green card 3 years ago with no hassle and no lawyer. I'm not taking any chances this time though, I'm seeing a lawyer in a week and hopefully I gather enough funds for the lawyer to assist me through out the process. I am currently in the process of expunging as much of my record as possible and have made some good headway with the felony charge by reinstating my rights which were taken away at the time of conviction.

I love this country and I am ashamed for what I did but my community gave me a second chance I just hope immigration sees that and gives me a chance too. I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Robert

Hello,

I'm currently 28 years old, have been in the US since 1998. Almost 10 years ago I got into a bunch of trouble, driving on a suspended license, theft in the 3rd degree and theft in the 2nd degree which is the felony and a marijuana misdemeanor charge. In WA state. I also completed a court drug diversion program, and since then have been for the most part a normal good tax paying citizen. Have not even been pulled over since. I have a good life, good job and family, I love this country and am very anxious to get my citizenship. I'm afraid my past might have ruined my chances at this. Both of my parents became citizens but were divorced when my dad got his, so I wasn't under his custody, and my mom did it after I turned 18. So it's up to me to get it. I renewed my green card 3 years ago with no hassle and no lawyer. I'm not taking any chances this time though, I'm seeing a lawyer in a week and hopefully I gather enough funds for the lawyer to assist me through out the process. I am currently in the process of expunging as much of my record as possible and have made some good headway with the felony charge by reinstating my rights which were taken away at the time of conviction.

I love this country and I am ashamed for what I did but my community gave me a second chance I just hope immigration sees that and gives me a chance too. I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Probably others can share their experience but here is a link form the USCIS website that might help you https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF-Chapter4.html and https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF-Chapter5.html Hope this info helps and I'm sure a lawyer can further assist you as well.

Thank you for your reply. How much should a lawyer in this case cost? My consultation next week is $150 alone.

Hi Robert,

I don't have info on lawyer fees and would recommend you investigate on google and check for several immigration lawyer's on your area. Best of luck on your application.

Will do! Thanks again! I'll keep my thread updated as this progresses. So far I have gotten all my court related documents and made sure everything was certified. I will fill out the application form and have that ready too for the lawyer to try and save time.

Will do! Thanks again! I'll keep my thread updated as this progresses. So far I have gotten all my court related documents and made sure everything was certified. I will fill out the application form and have that ready too for the lawyer to try and save time.

Sound like a plan and good to know you will keep us posted. Probably others with this same experience will jump in and share. I'm waiting for May 2018 and see if I'm lucky to win the DV Lottery and be able to move to the U.S. :)

Good luck, that's how my parents brought me here, visa lottery! Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm from Panama in Central America. This is my third time trying with the Lottery and hoping that the luck is on my side this time. Good that your parents gave you the chance to make a life over in the U.S. Its a land of opportunities no doubt.

Update: I'm now a citizen lol. I applied for a passport under the assumption that I'm a citizen due to my father becoming one when I was a minor. They saw my parents were divorced and asked for custody papers and I guess the custody arrangement was good enough for them to consider me a citizen by parent naturalization. Thank god, this is truly another chance because I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Update: I'm now a citizen lol. I applied for a passport under the assumption that I'm a citizen due to my father becoming one when I was a minor. They saw my parents were divorced and asked for custody papers and I guess the custody arrangement was good enough for them to consider me a citizen by parent naturalization. Thank god, this is truly another chance because I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the update and its good to know that you are now a U.S. Citizen. I hope you continue to go in the right track and I'm waiting for May in order to obtain the Visa Lottery results and hoping that this year will bring good news.