Misc. OCI Application Questions

There is no reduced fee for OCI card for minors (with or without an india visa) and they will have to pay the full cost of $275. PIO card holders (adult or minor) pay an upgrade fee of $25 for an OCI card.

It might look cheaper to apply for a minor's PIO card first then convert it into an OCI card but you have to take into account factors like additional mailing charges, costs of notarizing documents, cost of taking a trip to Indian consulate, etc.

You can include PIO holding child in your OCI family application.

We are a family of 4 needing OCI. I and my wife need just got US passports. My 8 year US born son has a 10 year Indian visa and 2 year son has a PIO card. Based on my situation, I need the following questions clarified:
1. How much is the OCI fee for my 8 year old son who has 10 year visa? Is there any reduced fee for minor kids (less than 18 years old) just like PIO?
If not, will it make sense to apply PIO for $185 and then get it upgraded to OCI for $25 (total of $210) instead of paying $275 for OCI for him.

2. I saw the OCI family application where two adults and 2 kids can apply in one application. Can I use that to apply OCI for 3 of us and upgrade my 2 year old son from PIO to OCI?
Or if there is a seperate application for upgrade.

Please advise ASAP.

nkm-oct23 already replied to your questions. Also, there is already a thread 'Misc. OCI Application Questions' for such queries - I'll merge the 2 threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applying OCI while waiting for the US passport

Hello all,

I was reading the instruction on MHA website and the oci instruction doc states that one can use copy of passport/citizenship certificate ...

Did anyone tried the application using a copy of naturalization certificate instead of passport?

Here is the excerpt from the doc:

(9) Enclosures for each applicant:
1. Proof of present citizenship of applicant e.g. copy of
Passport/citizenship certificate. In case of applications filed in India,
a copy of valid Visa/Residential Permit should also be enclosed.

Thanks

Hello all,

I was reading the instruction on MHA website and the oci instruction doc states that one can use copy of passport/citizenship certificate ...

Did anyone tried the application using a copy of naturalization certificate instead of passport?

Here is the excerpt from the doc:

(9) Enclosures for each applicant:
1. Proof of present citizenship of applicant e.g. copy of
Passport/citizenship certificate. In case of applications filed in India,
a copy of valid Visa/Residential Permit should also be enclosed.

Thanks

You need your US passport in hand to apply for OCI - online application asks for passport # and issue date and a copy is required to be enclosed with the application.

Also, there is already a thread 'Misc OCI application questions' for such posts - I'll merge your post there.

I did an online registration when I was in India and never followed it up by sending any material to the FRRO there - I am now back in the USA and have now re-registered online and got new reference numbers - would this work? Can I use the new application and send it to the New York Consulate here?

Oci

I did an online registration when I was in India and never followed it up by sending any material to the FRRO there - I am now back in the USA and have now re-registered online and got new reference numbers - would this work? Can I use the new application and send it to the New York Consulate here?

If you look at the previous posts, I believe it should work. Good Luck.

Yes. Only the application that is actually sent to embassy/consulate/FRRO counts.

My OCI status is scanned, printed and granted.

When it says printed, what does it mean? Does it mean printed in Delhi? Also once it says printed, how long does it usually take for them to be dispatched?
Thanks..

My OCI status is scanned, printed and granted.

When it says printed, what does it mean? Does it mean printed in Delhi? Also once it says printed, how long does it usually take for them to be dispatched?
Thanks..

Check for the recently posted time-lines on the tracker thread for the consulate/embassy you applied to get an idea.

Photograph question

I know that this question has been asked several times, but still if somebody can answer.
1. 2 or 4 photographs. As per the instructions (which are different at different websites/links) 1 photo to be affixed to each application. Since there are duplicate copy of applications 2 photographs should be good enough. I don't know why somebody send 4.

2. Size of photo: Most of the places on the instructions it says 35mm photo, except in one place it mentions 35-40mm photos.

Can somebody please advice.

Thanks

Just my experience(my docs were just dispatched from Delhi today.)
I pasted two photos (I took at UPS store with white background) in the space provided.

I am not sure about size in mm-I did the 2 by 2 inches standard passport size photo. In fact I used the same set of photos I used for U.S passport application and sent it for OCI. I just sent the two pasted photos and no more.

I also sent in copies of the first two and last two pages of Indian and U.S passport-self attested , cashier's check and Form A and B.

Mine went over smoothly and the time was faster than I expected.I am getting ready to send U.S and Indian passport today.

Applying for Visa if OCI is getting delayed

While OCI application is still pending, can I apply for a visitor visa if I have to travel before OCI is approved? What would happen if OCI gets approved while I am in India? Will I be able to get the OCI documents in India?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You can certainly apply for and get a visa to India while your OCI application is pending. However if you applied outside India you can get OCI documents only at your nearest Indian mission. You can collect OCI documents anytime after approval after you return from India.

Thanks nkm-oct23. My case is a bit more complicated. I am taking up employment in India and I am scheduled to travel back to India on 9/19. I don't expect to be back here anytime soon. My US passport is being processed. I applied for the expedited passport on 7/22.

Do you advise I go for OCI, assuming that I can apply for it in the first week in August? Or is it better to go with PIO, as it takes less time compared to OCI? Or none of the above and go for employment visa? I don't like the 3rd option at all, but I hope that is not my only option.

Thanks.

I think your best option would be to apply for OCI, then a visit visa, and then come back to get your OCI when it's ready. PIO would require registration with the police after 6 months, which I don't think you should have to do if you can avoid it. Unless, of course, you can apply for OCI once in India, but I don't know how that works.

Can I work in India with a visitor visa? Probably not, right? I want to avoid coming back to US just to collect OCI. I will try to call Chicago Consulate to get an answer...wish me good luck with that!

Can I work in India with a visitor visa? Probably not, right? I want to avoid coming back to US just to collect OCI. I will try to call Chicago Consulate to get an answer...wish me good luck with that!

For most people it's taking about a month to get the OCI, so you seem to have enough time to get yours before 9/19. Just in case it takes longer, can you make your start date flexible with your future employer? Else, you should get the work visa (I don't know how long that takes) and get the do your entire OCI application in India.

digital certificate mystery

Talking about security, their guidelines page says that the digital certificate needs to be downloaded prior to filling out the form. But if you follow the link for this certificate, you get to a page that is totally confusing with no instructions as to what to download and how. Does anyone have any pointers on this? Is downloading this certificate really necessary?
Thanks!

Applying OCI for wife and Kid

Hi, I want to apply OCI card for my wife and daughter. Can I do it in the same application or I have to file the application forms seperately. I was looking at the Family option but it was asking for First person, spouse and then Kid. I already have OCI and just wanted to apply for spouse and kid.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I want to apply OCI card for my wife and daughter. Can I do it in the same application or I have to file the application forms seperately. I was looking at the Family option but it was asking for First person, spouse and then Kid. I already have OCI and just wanted to apply for spouse and kid.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are many existing threads on which this question could have been asked - starting a new thread doesn't get it answered any faster. I'll merge it to 'Misc OCI Application Questions" thread.

Now coming to your question, just consider it as if your wife is applying - she is the first person, there is no spouse applicant and then the kid. Either have your wife fill it in, or fill it in on her behalf. You are nowhere in the picture, unless of course there are questions asking for details about your wife's spouse or your kid's father.

Hope this helps.