Minor Son US Passport renewal - denied - Need advice please. Son cannot travel.

dtambe

We recently approached a US consulate abroad for renewal of my son's passport. Passport was renewed once already. This would have been his 3rd passport.
Son derived US citizenship (INA 320) after both parents naturalized. Never applied for N600/Citizenship certificate.
Son has been living abroad with extended family immediately after the first US passport was issued 10 years ago.
Son's current age is 15

The consular officer told us that absent a US Birth cert, Consular report of birth abroad or a Naturalization/Citizenship cert from USCIS, he cannot approve issuance of a new passport. Then he proceeded and canceled ( punched ) this current US passport which was expiring Nov this year.

We are now in a pickle. We cannot apply for N600 since he has no travel document to leave the country for the biometrics, interview and oath.
AFAIK N600-K does not apply here since he already is a derived citizen, please correct me if this is not true.

What are our options - Challenge the consular officer, how ?
Assuming we eventually get the passport renewed, is it too late to apply for N600 since son is staying abroad and has no intention of coming back to US ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

First, the officer is definitely incorrect. Both the DOS website and the DS-11 form say that a current or expired US passport is sufficient evidence of US citizenship for a new US passport application, without needing to provide other evidence. And even if you need to provide evidence of US citizenship again, both the DOS website and the DS-11 form say that the parent's Certificate of Naturalization, the child's green card or other evidence of the child's former permanent resident status, and evidence of the parent's custody of the child, all while the child is under 18, is sufficient evidence of US citizenship to apply for a US passport. (Which you already know since that's what you used to apply for the child's passport the first time.) You do NOT have to get a Certificate of Citizenship for the child in order to get a US passport.

The DOS page on applying for a passport for a child, under "2. Provide U.S. Citizenship Evidence":
You must submit one of the following documents for your child:
  • Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.
  • [...]
If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents for your child, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.
On the Citizenship Evidence page, it says:
If you cannot provide primary evidence, you must submit secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship.
Under "Examples of Secondary Citizenship Evidence" -> "I was born outside the United States" -> "I became a U.S. citizen through my parent who naturalized or through the Child Citizenship Act of 2000":
If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:
  • Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Evidence of your parent’s U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), or naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday)
  • Documentation of legal custody when you entered the United States, if your parents were not married at that time. If your parents divorced after you entered the United States, provide documentation of legal custody at the time of your parent’s naturalization
  • Evidence that you resided in the United States in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent

And on the DS-11 form itself, instructions page 2 (proof of US citizenship), in the left column, it says:
Fully valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
(they put it under Applicants Born in the US in a poor re-design of the page, but it applies to both applicants born in and outside the US)
And in the right column, it says:
Claiming Citizenship through Naturalization of One or Both Parent(s), submit all the following:
  • Your parent(s) Certificate(s) of Naturalization
  • Your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable
  • Your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English)
  • Your evidence of admission to the United States for legal permanent residence and proof you subsequently resided in the United States

The DOS's Foreign Affairs Manual clearly says that a Certificate of Citizenship is not needed to get a passport for children like yours who automatically got citizenship, in 8 FAM 301.10-1.f:
f. Parents of children who acquired U.S. citizenship automatically under the CCA may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship from USCIS (a Certificate of Citizenship is not required to issue a passport) and/or a U.S. passport.

Unfortunately, I am not sure what are the avenues for appeal. You can apply again and hope that you get a different officer, and/or be prepared to show the above webpages and instructions from the form to them. You could contact the Congressman of your last place of residence in the US to get them to talk to the Department of State for you. You could sue the Department of State, but I am sure that there is some intermediate step short of a lawsuit, since the Department of State's Passport Office surely won't deny the passport; the problem is getting past the first step with the consular officer. Maybe someone else can chime in on what the options are.

Hi @newacct - Thanks for that amazingly detailed response.
As an update we received an email from the consulate that the passport was approved. Not sure what changed that prompted this since I did not speak with them.

I intend to now file a N600 application. However question 21 is confusing me - Do you 'regularly' reside in US in the legal and physical custory of your US citizen parents ? Clearly in my case the answer is no, since son left US 10 years ago right after getting the US passport.
Does this prevent him from applying for a US Citizenship Certificate ?

Yeah, that question on that form is worded badly. They should be asking whether the applicant did ever reside in the US between their parent naturalizing and them turning 18. The proposed new edition of the form fixes the wording of the question somewhat, but it is unclear when a new edition will come out. If you file using the current edition, perhaps you can answer No and then add additional information on the Additional Information page?

dtambe, I'm in almost the same exact situation - surprised to see that, to be honest.

I'm not clear between whether to apply for N600 or N600K?

on the one hand, it feels it should be n600 as we were living in the US when she became a citizen. However the form says “do not file if you do not regularly reside in the us”

On the other hand, I go to n600k. Residence is not a challenge but it says “do not file if automatically acquired citizenship through ina 320”, which is my son’s case.

dtambe, I'm in almost the same exact situation - surprised to see that, to be honest.

I'm not clear between whether to apply for N600 or N600K?

on the one hand, it feels it should be n600 as we were living in the US when she became a citizen. However the form says “do not file if you do not regularly reside in the us”

On the other hand, I go to n600k. Residence is not a challenge but it says “do not file if automatically acquired citizenship through ina 320”, which is my son’s case.
N-600.

Have you been successful in getting his passport? The office is wrong is his/her decision. It's crazy that they did not offer to provide him with a limited validity passport so he can get to US to settle this issue.

Last edited: